Hello

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gwen Spring

Hello

Postby Gwen Spring » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Gwen, and I had surgery for rectal cancer in February of 2005. I am currently still getting chemo treatments, and will continue till February of 2006. I had radiation in May and June of 2005. I am 44 years old. I'm not sure what else to tell everyone, but I'm glad to be a part of the Colon Club. I'm a proud "survivor" (so far ! ! ) My friend Tammy is in the 2005 Colondar. She's great.
Hope to hear from others in my situation - my personal email is gspring@charter.net......Thanks Guys ! !
Gwen

Sweet Peg

Hello

Postby Sweet Peg » Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:21 pm

Welcome to the Colon Club Gwen!! It is a great bunch of people with lots of good information, support and lots of love to go around!! I just got done with my Chemo treatments for Stage IIIa about 7 weeks ago now. I am feeling just great and Praise God everyday for life!! You hang in there, keep smiling and having good thoughts. Any questions or concerns write here and someone will come through with some help.

God Bless!!! Peg :D

Jennifer Blaire

Postby Jennifer Blaire » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:50 am

Hello, great news on being a survivor. I actually had my bowel resection in april 2005 for stage III rectal cancer. And I am doing great, I am taking xeloda and opted not to do radiation, I felt I was too young for sterilization and menopause at 21. But my CEa in neative and so was my PEt scan. So, we are survivors and congratualtions to all of us. :lol:

Christine Smith

Hello Gwen Christine here.........

Postby Christine Smith » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:05 pm

I just found the colon club YESTERDAY - and saw your post. I was diagnosed with Stage II rectal Sept 2003 at age 51 - had surgery, 6 weeks daily radiation, (two weeks with continuous chemo) then 21 weeks of weekly chemo - so I'm a little farther down the recovery road than you. I would be pleased to answer and questions or issues I can for you from my own personal experience. Good luck to you!

browneyedgirl

Hello Gwen

Postby browneyedgirl » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:04 am

Hello Gwen,

My name is Lisa ( aka Browneyedgirl ).
I was diagnosed with rectal cancer March 2002 with surgery on March 20 , 2002.
At the time I was 40 years old. I had 46 cm or 18 inches of my colon removed with 10 positive lymph nodes. Stage 3c
Now 3 years & 7 month's later I'm doing fine.
I see you've had radiation , how are you making with early menopause ?
I had it bad at first, now hardly anything symptons.

Anyway I just wanted to say Hello & Welcome.
If I can ever help in anyway please feel free to write me.

Lisa

Brenda Durant

Hello Lisa

Postby Brenda Durant » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:18 am

Hello Lisa,
Thanks for giving me hope. My husband had surgery July 11 2005 for rectal cancer (got the bag and his rectum removed). His diagnosis so far is stage III (3 of 5 nodes positive) and cancer through the wall. He is having chemo now with 3 treatments left. He has not had a pet scan or CEA checked since surgery. Dr. says soon he will.
Survivors like you and so many in this group deliver hope and courage by sharing your triumphs.
I pray for your continued good health.

Re: Hello Gwen

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:06 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Hello Gwen,

My name is Lisa ( aka Browneyedgirl ).
I was diagnosed with rectal cancer March 2002 with surgery on March 20 , 2002.
At the time I was 40 years old. I had 46 cm or 18 inches of my colon removed with 10 positive lymph nodes. Stage 3c
Now 3 years & 7 month's later I'm doing fine.
I see you've had radiation , how are you making with early menopause ?
I had it bad at first, now hardly any symptons.

Anyway I just wanted to say Hello & Welcome.
If I can ever help in anyway please feel free to write me.

Lisa

Sarah

I'm New too!

Postby Sarah » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:13 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm Sarah Ball.
I'm 18 years old.
I was diagnosed with Stage III colon cancer on Sept. 16, 2005 and I had surgery on that same day.
I'm starting Folfox6 in about 2 weeks.
I'm scared but I'm hopeful.
I don't really know if I have actually come to terms with this but I'm trying, I wake up everyday trying to understand that I have cancer. But at times denial is the best way to get through the day.

Some say that cancer is the best thing that ever happen to them... ha. I've dropped out of college, been through the biggest roller coaster of my life and still have so much to come. But I'm not bitter or anything. =)

Wow sorry. But it feels good to vent to people who actually know what is going through my head.

Love to all.

Sarah

browneyedgirl

I'm New too!

Postby browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:28 am

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to our Colon Family...

I know that this is a very difficult time for you... Being diagnosed with colon cancer at age 18 is just not fair. The sad part is it's not fair at any age but we can't go back... What I can tell you is ( Things Will Get Better ) please know that.

Also there is another forum you may like to check out, it's called Planet Cancer. It 's for young adults dealing with cancer.

http://www.planetcancer.org/html/welcome.php

Please feel free to write me anytime if you need to talk or VENT, just know that your not alone in this.
Others are here to help.

Lisa

Erika

Postby Erika » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:28 pm

Sarah-
My heart goes out to you. I hope that you find hope, help, strength, peace.

Oh, the "cancer is the best thing that ever happened to me" line. Yep, heard that a bunch. Don't let that put pressure you to feel that way as well. I remember reading in Lance Armstrong's book that if he had to choose between being a Tour De France winner or a cancer survivor that he'd choose the latter! HA, is he serious????? Maybe, and I'm glad for those who feel that way about cancer, but I myself may never have the guts to say that. For a while I thought I should. That is not to say that cancer hasn't had positive effects on my life. I've met some truly awesome people (like Molly :D ) and have found a purpose I never imagined. Here's the thing, no matter how you feel about it, you can survive this disease. You can get treatment and return to school. Maybe your original plans will have to be shifted around, so your timeline isn't quite the same, but it doesn't mean you won't carry on.

Let us know if you need anything or how we can help. Griping, venting, bitching, moaning are all welcome here.
love,
Erika

Molly
Site Admin

Postby Molly » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:43 pm

Sarah-

Erika's right. (...and she's brown nosing!!! Just kidding! :lol: ) No matter what way you slice it, cancer sucks, but you can get through it and you aren't alone. That's something I didn't know when I was going through my chemo. It was me and a bunch of 80 year olds hanging around the chemo lounge (not that there's anything wrong with that). 8) But it's just different when you're younger. The best thing that happened to me was to meet other people like me...like Amanda...like Erika (now I'm the brown-noser) and so many others. Planet Cancer is another AWESOME place to find youngsters! There are plenty of us out there, and don't let some old doc tell you you're the only one, cause he's wrong! We're all here to help and support you in any way that you need it...and yes, we all talk about poop too!

Holly

Hello

Postby Holly » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:19 pm

Congratulations of your SURVIVORSHIP! I am a stage IV colon cancer survivor and currently have no evidence of disease! Welcome to the colon club! I hope that through this forum that you will find support, hope and inspiration as I have throughout my journey! Please know that I will have you in my prayers and hope that you will continue to keep us updated on your wellness! God Bless!

Jennifer Balire

Postby Jennifer Balire » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:34 pm

Hi Sarah, well, I thought I ws the youngest and now you beat me by 3 years, not to say it is a competition, or that we win prizes, just that this totally sux. I had to drop out of school also, but it will only be a 6 month absence, so just to let you know, it is not the end of the world. I got diagnosed in March this year and had surgery in April, right now I imagine you feel like crap, but just look at it as a good time for a break from life, just relax and heal. I know it is hard at this young age to lay around and relax, but thats what we have to do. i am so glad you found the colonclub so soon after diagnosis, it took me a few months and I felt so alone. But, I have found a home here, and I love talking to others and supporting them, so we are all here for you, and know EXACTLY what you are going through. So, if you ever need to vent this is the perfect place, we all always have time to help eachother out. And, have you considering signing up for the colondar, I am Miss September 2006, and it ws the most fun I have had in a long while, everyone is like eachother there, frequent bathroom trips, Imodium, and scars galore, I highly recommend the experience. So, think postive, you will get through this, and just think you always have the ultimate excuse to get out of something. :D

Love Jen
Stage III rectal cancer, age 21

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”