22 YEAR OLD WITH COLON CANCER

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
HOH

22 YEAR OLD WITH COLON CANCER

Postby HOH » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:50 pm

JUST FOUND OUT MY HUSBAND, WHO IS 22 AND IN THE AIR FORCE, HAS COLON CANCER. HE HAS NO FAMILY HISTORY, AND WE ARE IN SHOCK! HE IS IN TEXAS TRAINING AND I AM IN FLORIDA. IF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.

nodo

Postby nodo » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:35 pm

I am sure that you are in shock, but know that cancer is treatable/curable and you have come to a wonderful place for advice. This site has so many knowledgeable individuals that will help you and your husband. It's difficult to tell from your email, but please enlighten us what you know so far. Has he had a colonoscopy? CT scan? Chest xray? Blood work? Have you found out any other information? Will it be removed surgically, etc? MD Anderson is a wonderful facility in Texas. Take this day by day and, while it is very overwhelming right now, you will tackle this together and find the answers you need.

missjv

Postby missjv » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:01 pm

hi,
well not knowing the stage of his cancer i don't know what to say except find the best possible place to be treated. find the right doctor, do research on treatments, and do not be affraid to question the docs this is his life i know you guys are very young so do not be intimidated by the white coat. if you are uncomfortable with a doc get a new one. i am a firm believer that surviving cancer is not only the patient but where the patient is treated. when i first started my fight i was given no options but palliative chemo which is not meant to cure but meant to relieve symptoms. well i said hell with them apples and went to the best place i could go to be treated and was given many options and a great prognosis as of now i am cancer free but i had to seek out my own treatment, refer myself to another doc and do alot of research. good luck!

missjv

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Husband

Postby Edward » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:26 am

Fist thing is to be proactive. Ask alot of questions. If you don't understand the doctor, remind them that you don't have your MD. Also, since he is in the military, he would probably have to be treated by the military. Unless you have your own plan and he is on it the military is probably his only option.

On a side note, depending on how his treatment goes. You may want to get in touch with your US Congressman in Florida and also the one that covers the facility in TX. You may have to tapdance around this issue depending on his chain of command.
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”