Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SueSueSue

Re: Moviprep - colonoscopy prep

Postby SueSueSue » Sun May 03, 2009 12:52 pm

I was prescrived MoviPrep before a colonoscopy recently. Of course it tastes nasty, it seems all preps taste bad. I consumed the first half of the prep in the specified time period (one hour). Nothing happened. My abdomen did not even move, no grumblings, no pain, no gas, no bowel movements, etc. I waited for the alloted time period and started the second half of the prep. I could not get it down. I kept throwing it up after I'd drink it.

I called my doctor and told him what happened. He said he had never heard of someone having NO reaction to the first half. He told me to go the pharmacy and buy a bottle of _______ citrate (I can't remember what it was so I don't want to give the wrong info). That bottle worked like a miracle. It looked like a glass soda bottle. I drank it at room temp and it worked like a charm. Compared to the moviprep, it tasted good!

So, Moviprep is horrid. Even my pharmacist asked why my doctor would prescribe this prep? I had to go to a few pharmacies to even get it because no pharmacies around me kept it in stock.

My suggestion to getting it down: Mix it the night before and chill it over night so it is as cold as possible when you have to drink it. You can not add ice cubes to chill it, so this is the best way to chill it. Drink it in a glass with a straw and chug chug chug. Drink 8 oz. every few minutes over the course of the hour to get it down. Pinch your nose if you have to (to supress some of the flavor). Don't think about what this is, just drink it while you're watching TV to distract yourself.

Good luck to anyone who is trying this. It's not fun, but we all have to do it sometime or another. Tomorrow will be over before you know it. Everyone says that, I know, but it's not as bad as all of the hype. The hype is worse than the procedure or anything else. Conoloscopys are not fun, but it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting.

Oh, and I did the colonoscopy with no anesthesia. Part of the reason I did that is because I read stories where people said they were bruised from ruff entry of the tube and things like that. I didn't want that. My doctor actually YELLED at me for not doing any anesthesia. How rude. He threw his arms up in the air, etc. Guess what? He was able to do the entire colonoscopy anyway, with the exception of the final 1" of the large intestine. After the procedure was over (10-15 min max) I asked the doctor how far he was able to go, he would not answer but yelled that he could not do the whole thing because of ME not doing anesthesia. After the doctor left the room, his assistant came over to me and whispered that he actually did almost the entire thing and that the doctor was even surprised at how far he went, but he didn't want me to know that.

It was painful, very painful, the pain I felt during the colonoscopy is the pain I feel every day anyway, so that is why I was able to handle the pain of the colonoscopy so well. I don't recommend no anesthesia to anyone, only if you can handle it.

And my doctor told me I HAD to go home and rest after the colonoscopy but he would not give me a reason why. I asked at least four times for a specific reason why, he would not give me one. So, I left the office and went right back to my work. I drove myself - I had no drugs in my body. And I'm a 38 year old woman.

What people don't tell you is what happens AFTER the colonoscopy. After the colonoscopy, for a few hours, you run to the bathroom and have tiny bits of fluid come out of your colon. You feel like you're going to have diahrrea, but you don't - there's nothing in your bowel, so you can't have diahrrea, it's just the fluid from the procedure coming out. It happens a lot and the amount of liquid each time is tiny. But, this is the only reason why I would say it's best to stay home after a colonoscopy if you have no anesthesia. If you do go back to work, wear roomy pants and bring a couple changes of underwear. It's almost impossible to keep your underwear clean for the first couple of hours after the colonoscopy. I'm not talking a true "mess" in your underwear, not at ALL, it's just little drops that come out and it's nice to have a fresh pair of underwear available.

After the colonoscopy, also, you have a great deal of gas. They put air into you during the procedure so they can see the lining of your colon. The gas has no odor, it just sounds like gas. For me, the gas lasted a few hours. For my close friend, the gas lasted over two weeks. I guess it just varies.

It's been two months since my colonoscopy and my bowel movements are not back to they way they were before the procedure. Before the procedure, my bowel movements (when solid) were (not to be graphic, but...) long "logs". Now I have only marbles. My current bowel movements are within "normal" range, but they have not been the same for me at all since the colonoscopy.

Best wishes to anyone who is preparing for this. The flavor of the liquid prep is the worst part of this entire ordeal.

peep

Postby peep » Mon May 04, 2009 10:06 pm

Interesting tale of your experience. I didn't have sedation either due to the creep-out factor that I mentioned earlier.

Just wanted to say that I too was worried about all the post-colonoscopy 'leakage' stories I read. Yet I didn't experience any problems or gas whatsoever. Not even a minor urge to go or expel gas. And certainly no stains on my clothing.

As soon as I returned home, I wolfed down a gigantic meal (and experienced no problems) as I was just so hungry from the mandated fast. Then I took a really long nap.

Since my colonoscopy 5 days ago, life (and bowel movements) have pretty much returned to normal. It's like the colonoscopy never occurred. Still, I'm really glad it's over. I'm still awaiting lab results on the 8mm polyp the doc found in my lower colon. Keep your fingers crossed for me. :)

Ascott

Postby Ascott » Tue May 19, 2009 3:42 am

I am 42 years old and having my first colonoscopy and upper GI work tomorrow. I found all the posting very helpful so thought I would describe mine as well in case it might help someone in the future. I have been having irregular bowls since Feb - started 1st with diarrhea once every week - like a stomach flu and then after taking antibiotics changed to constipation and loose stools once a week - then to mucous with small traces of blood. I have been prescribed MoviPrep and have made it thru the 1st liter which I took at 6:00 ... took about 1 hour to start working and then went about every 15 min after that for 4.5 hours.. slowed down then so went to bed around 10:30 .. woke up at 2:30 and had 3 more bouts .. drank 20 oz water and now 4:34am. Am having some grumbling still in my stomach but hopeful the worse is over. Still have round two at 9:00 but since watery stools lingering, I think I will start around 8:00 to make sure I can get to the appt without any accidents. I would say light brown in color now .. but did vary .. toward the end almost clear/very light brown .. then at 2:30 experienced a darker brown so I guess it varies. Will try to post later ... going to try the straw method everyone spoke about. I did have some nausea during my 1st liter but tried to slow down and move around .. read a book ... to keep my mind off of it and prayed which seemed to get me thru it. I also found chasing it with a drink you like helps. Also note that the bum is quite sore .. at this point I take a cup of warm water and run down after each bowl then dab some of Balneol after. Thinking now maybe the diaper cream might have helped.

My prayers are with all going thru something similar...

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Wed May 20, 2009 6:01 am

If you had Golytle then Movieprep will be a breeze. It's a lot less liquid.

July 5th? How dare a doctor even schedule someone for July 5th :shock:
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

LB

Postby LB » Wed May 20, 2009 4:08 pm

chugged it without a problem... 4 glasses fifteen minutes apart, it really isnt that bad ! :D

azahar
Facebook Username: shawn.hennessey

Postby azahar » Thu May 21, 2009 3:15 am

LB wrote:4 glasses fifteen minutes apart, it really isnt that bad !

Wow. Mine was 16 glasses fifteen minutes apart - four hours in total! It was awful. And then the report said that I had been "badly prepped" and wasn't as cleaned out as I should have been. Sheesh.
DX stage IV May / 08
colon resection May/08
Oxi & Xeloda July/Aug/08
open & close Sept/08, peritoneal mets
liver resection Nov/08
6 rounds Oxi/Xeloda Apr-July/09
NED? so far so good...
http://azahar.wordpress.com/ & http://twitter.com/azahar

kate

Postby kate » Thu May 21, 2009 5:22 pm

I have tried everything to keep the moviprep, I can't

What if use suppositories instead????

Kenny

Postby Kenny » Fri May 29, 2009 7:17 pm

Just had my procedure today, Doc removed a polyp. Have to wait for results. The moviprep is not as bad as some people have said. I used a trick I saw on the internet. Mix it up early and put it in the frig. Just before you start chill a glass in the freezer. Rechill the glass after each dose. It tastes like lemon-lime gatorade with lots of salt in it. The procedure was a breeze. All I remember is the doc saying "roll over on your left side". The next thing I remember is a nurse waking me up. Lots of luck.

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri May 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Been here a number of times on this thread already :

PICO SALAX !

'nuff said....

hope everything comes out all right !!!

Cheers
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

momcdonald7@aol.com

Postby momcdonald7@aol.com » Sat May 30, 2009 11:38 am

Was diagnosed with Stage 1 Rectal Cancer in January, had LAR and 3 month ileostomy which was just reversed. Had lots of tests which required different preps from different institutions while gathering 2nd , 3rd , 4th opinions. Golytely was the absolute worst thing I ever had. Wanted to vomit after each dose. Later, I was told I could have put Chrystal Light powder in it, though. Next time, I had Nulytely, which at least had flavors and was better. Before those I had had moviprep and some over the counter type which you mix with Gatorade. I think Moviprep was a 2 liter thing instead of 4 liters and I think it was taken over 2 time periods, which again helped as opposed to GoLytely. I asked at University of Chicago why they use the 4 Liter and Golytely, although they let me use Nulytely, a physician assistant there said, people are better hydrated afterwards and they can get a much better look as opposed to some of the pill preps, which they said can leave a powder residue which can interfere with detection. My basic advice, use 2 liter preps instead of 4 unless not allowed, and if have to use 4 then demand one with flavoring. Never use Golytely without any flavor. After I had it, I wanted to contact anyone promoting early detection to have it taken off the market as if most people had to do it for a routine screening, they would never come back for another screening- it was so much worse than the other preps. Maura

PJ

Postby PJ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:41 pm

On the last colonoscopy they gave me a phosphate bottle and the biscodyl tablets. My husband found me passed out in a puddle I'd thrown up. I was sweating so hard I looked like I'd gotten in the bath with my clothes on. This time they have me drinking a quart of something with a pineapple flavor packet taped to the top. That they gave me an anti-nausea medicine to take an hour before isn't very reassuring. I was told by a friend that eating baked chicken, white rice and bananas three days before, with no fruit or veggies will help clear it all out and then you won't have to take that last dose. My last prep was hell on earth. I hope this one goes better. It's on June 25th.

sigmoidkaren

Re:

Postby sigmoidkaren » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Magnolia wrote:My aunt and uncle both loved GoLytely when it first came out. I'm not fond of any of it, but when people say 'the prep is the worst part' I have to disagree. That first time, the RESULTS were the worst part.

That was the same for me. The results was the worst.

:(
Karen
John 3:16
Philippians 4:13
sigmoid colon cancer
Diagnosed 9-25-08
sigmoid laproscopic surgery 10-28-08
stage IIIA (T2, N1)
1 of 16 lymph nodes affected
Age 48

susan8021

Postby susan8021 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:59 am

I turned 50 last September and it was time for my first Colonoscopy screening! I was prescribed MoviPrep and I have to say, it wasn't that bad. My Doctor gave me instructions to mix the MoviPrep with a half-gallon of water instead of the 1-litre as directed on the MoviPrep box instructions. To me, the taste was similar to "Airborne" and I had no cramping at all. It was considerably more to drink but I think diluting the MoviPrep with a half-gallon of water made it a whole lot easier?? Anyway, it wasn't so bad!

tmkk40@hotmail.com

Postby tmkk40@hotmail.com » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:42 pm

Listen to "Movieprep", I agree with his/her post. It does go down alot better if it's really cold. Praying for the best results for you.

SDG

Postby SDG » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:58 pm

I had my 3rd conlonoscopy today and this was the first with MoviPrep. It was not as good and i hope my DR never prescribes it again. The normal prep he prescribes is off the market now but he hopes it is available in the future.

It has taken me most of the day to get over the nausea feeling. After the procedure today i even had a BM in teh recovery room, so I did not get completely cleaned out and i followed the instructions completely.

Good luck. There may not be many alternitives out there.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”