lump in stomach

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ann

lump in stomach

Postby Ann » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm hoping someone can answer if this could be a symptom of colon cancer

i have a lower left abdomin lump that comes and goes for over 5 years. It seems like sometimes it is a bulge and sometimes it feels hard then softens. my stomach is definitely more bloated on the left side. i never see this written as a symptom of colon cancer. they are sort of longish lumps.

i have stomach aches often as well. has anyone had this or heard of this as a symptom?

Monique

Postby Monique » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:38 pm

Hello Ann,

As your symptoms are somewhat vague I would strongly suggest seeking the opinion of a medical doctor. Stomach aches, bloatedness etc. can point to a number of different ailments. Some serious, some not so serious. Please seek the advice of a professional.

All the best,
Monique

CMeeks

Postby CMeeks » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:14 am

Hi Ann,

I'm Chet. I discovered my colon cancer when I felt a lump in my lower left abdomen. I thought it was a hernia and went to my doctor and a CT Scan showed that it was a large tumor in my caecum.

I would strongly suggest having a CT Scan. Also ask your doctors to do a CEA blood test, which is a tumor marker. If you can feel something in your abdomen, it could very well be a tumor. You have to remember that often times there are no symptoms of colon cancer.

Please email me if you have any other questions: chetmeeks@yahoo.com

Let me know how things turn out.

Chet
Chet

Ann

lump

Postby Ann » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:38 am

Chet:

sorry to hear that it wasn't a hernia :(

can you describe your lump? was it there for a long time? did it hurt?
was it moveable? was the lump hard or soft??

What is your stage?

Chet

Postby Chet » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey Ann,

My lump was definitely palpable by the time I discovered it. When I arched my back, especially, you could even visually identify it. And when I pressed on it, it didn't hurt, but my stomach would gurgle. It was on my lower right side, which is where the very end of the colon is, before it turns into the small intestine.

Aside from this, I have to say that I did not have any symptoms that said immediately to me, "this is cancer." I did feel tired, very tired looking back on it. But I attributed my fatigue to job stress and the things all of us adults deal with, especially early in our careers. I didn't think much of it, truly. I learned later that my lack of usual symptoms (blood in the stool, bowel problems) was because in the far end of the colon (where my tumor was), the bowel is still liquid, so it can pass through an obstruction with fewer problems and easily identifiable symptoms compared to tumors that present in the mid and rectal areas of the colon.

After my colonectomy, I was diagnosed with a stage 3 tumor, 6/11 lymph nodes infected, and my tumor was graded as 4/4, which means extremely aggressive. My tumor had already perferated the lining of my colon, which, along with the lymph node involvement, meant that I had an extremely aggressive case. I know now how aggressive it was because I've had a recurrence in my mesentary and pelvic region.

The lesson here is this: if you have anything, including a lump like the one you're describing, get it checked out AS SOON as possible. Get rid of it. Colon cancer is extremely treatable if detected early. If not detected early, as in my case, it can spread quite easily, even after chemotherapy and resections. So go to your doctor and demand a CT Scan or PET Scan, and no matter what your age, DEMAND a FULL colonoscopy, not a sigmoidoscopy, but a full colonoscopy.

Also, there was an article in the NYTimes recently that found that doctors who take longer on colonoscopies find more polyps and remove them compared with doctors who take less than 20 minutes. So demand a full colonoscopy and tell your doctor to take his/her time, no less than 20 minutes.

Even though my case was aggressive, Ann, know that there is hope. And the first step to being cancer free is detecting it and treating it as early as possible. So if you feel a lump, get it checked out IMMEDIATELY.

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide you with and if you need any other help or support: chetmeeks@yahoo.com.

Best Wishes,
Chet

Ann

Thanks Chet

Postby Ann » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:51 pm

mine doesn't hurt either but I have lots of cramping and bloating on my left side. my lump gurlges also and is there daily but intermittent (sometimes it feels like it temporarily goes away or moves. :?:

Sometimes it softens and other times it bulges but is never stony feeling.

I've tried to show my docs but it always goes away whenever I try and show them or they say it's just my colon or a mass of fat.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:29 pm

With Chet's permission, you could print out his post and show it to your doctor. It may add some authority to your story.

toblueeyez

Re: lump in stomach

Postby toblueeyez » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:19 pm

Hi Ann,
I read your post about your stomach lump and I'm wondering how you are now.
It's 2 years later. Did you find out your problem? I hope it isn't cancer.
erica

Ann

Postby Ann » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:53 pm

I still don't have a diagnosis. It is still there and it still hurts. :|

Terry
Facebook Username: Terry Minor

Postby Terry » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:25 pm

You STILL don't have a diagnosis! Please tell me you had a colonoscopy?
DX 7/3/07
Chemo, radiation, 20 mo. chemo, IMRT, cyberknife, 6/11 lobectomy.
1/16 resection perm. colostomy intraop. rad.
PET 2/12 nose, thyroid, liver, lngs
Folfox 3/12
Lord I know You'll keep me here until
you know I cannot suffer any longer!

frazcom

Postby frazcom » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:51 pm

I would really love to know what kinds of test you had done. I'm 20 and I have had a lump in the lower left corner as well as lots of bloating and gas and gurgling. I FINALLY had an appt to check it out and the doctor said I could just feel my colon before a BM becasue I am skinny. I wasn't going to take that as an answer and luckily he didnt find it to be a suitable one either..

I go for an ultrasound in 4 days and am also going to have a number of blood, urine, and stool tests done we are even doing a pregnancy test and a pap smear to rule out any other possibility.

I'll be sure to post all updates for anyone who may find the outcome helpful

melanie

Postby melanie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 am

Hi,
Im 23 and have lump in left lower area also, ive been to doctors few times and just told it was my colon but im going again Wed to get more information as the pain sometimes has made me pass out as if it was a blockage.
I wondered how your ultrasound went?

melanie

Postby melanie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:51 am

Hi
Im very interested in how your blood tests and ultra sound scan went. Im 23 and have a 'lump' on my lower left hand side also and was told it was just my colon that was full and could feel as also slim. I causes me discomfort and i have passed out on occasions as it feels as if it narrows or acts as a blockage.

ljmaquilon

Postby ljmaquilon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi, my name is laura,
for the past few months, I have had this pain in my lower left pelvic/stomach. The weird thing is it ONLY hurts about a week AFTER my menstrual cycle stops!?! I have been VERY worried about colon cancer. I can feel a "tube like" thing in there, where the pain is. And i can not seem to have a normal bowl movement, i know it sounds strange, but usually the only time i have a bowl movement is when i smoke a few cigarettes, and then it will give me diarrhea. I have also lost 19 lbs in the past 5-6 months and i am NOT trying to lose weight. Was wondering if any of this sounds familiar to anyone out there. I do have Dr. appts next week. Thank you in advance :)

lltalk

Postby lltalk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:21 am

I am 36. I too have a lump in my right abdomen below my bottom rib. It is more felt when standing up. The doctor felt it too. I had very bad abdomen pain but since praying and taking probiotics pain has left. I have lost 15 pounds in three months. Had ultrasound normal. Blood work normal. xray normal but found gas and stool. ct chest normal showed large stool only. Went to new doctor ordered many tests waiting for results next week. another ct on friday. colonoscopy and endoscopy on monday. Any imput? i will post when i have results. thankz

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”