Colorectal Cancer: It's a Big Dam Problem!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Sarah@ColonClub

Colorectal Cancer: It's a Big Dam Problem!

Postby Sarah@ColonClub » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:06 am

Hello Colon Clubbers!

As some of you may remember, last year The Colon Club hosted the ColorectalCancer: It's a Big Dam Problem! walk in Little Rock, Arkansas. We are doing it again!

Last year, over 300 people dragged themselves 4,226 feet over the Big Dam Bridge (http://www.BigDamBridge.com), including about 25 Colondar models and other young CRC survivors! This year, we want to get as many people as possible to the walk, especially young survivors, their friends and families. We hope you will join us in Little Rock on August 29 – we’re going to have a blast hanging with some of the 2010 Colondar models, talking about colons, and meeting other young survivors!

You can read about the walk and see pictures from last year on the Big Dam Problem webpage: http://www.BigDamProblem.com. From there, you can also register to walk and, if you want, sing up to be a fundraiser. If you can’t join us in person, you can register as a virtual walker.

**All registered walkers get a 2010 Colondar and a Big Dam Problem t-shirt (see last year’s here-link to store page).**

We are planning some other “fun events” for the weekend, so we’ll be sure to update everyone. Hope to see you there!

Sarah
(The Newest Colon Girl)

dianne052506

Re: Colorectal Cancer: It's a Big Dam Problem!

Postby dianne052506 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Sarah,
I have friends living in Hot Springs, so I'm forwarding the link to them. Just wanted to point out that your August 29 date is not on the Bridge website's Calendar of Events.
Love the bridge pictures, and the name of your event!
Good luck.
Dianne
May 06 Stage IV CC: liver,ovarian mets
Oct 07 inoperable lung mets
Feb 08 - Apr'12 chemo
allergic to oxaliplatin, irinotecan
Aug '12-Feb'14 Genentech PD-L1/Avastin trial
Mar '14 -radiation to largest lung nodule
still recovering; looking at trials again

Sarah@ColonClub

Postby Sarah@ColonClub » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 am

Thank you! We'll work on getting the event up on the website, asap!

Sarah

autumneagle

Postby autumneagle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:38 pm

Hi everybody. Not sure how to do this but here I go. My name is Mark Eastabrooks, I am 48 and retired from the Navy living in Harleysville Pa. I went in for a colonoscopy last Thursday and they found a mass the size of a dime about 3cm past the anal verge. The byopsy is not back yet the the doctor said it looked like cancer to him and wrote a referel to an oncologist. I am really scared right now and dont know what to do. I just know that I have colon cancer and my life feels like it is over right now. I am posting to get any feedback that I can and so see if anybody thinks that I could survive this thing. Thanks for you input.

tcolitti
Facebook Username: Todd Colitti Sr.

Postby tcolitti » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Sorry that you had to be here under these circumstances, but welcome to the club. You will find a wealth of knowledge from others on this board that have been exactly where you are at. Slow down first, take a big deep breath and listen to what others have to say. I was diagnosed at 35 stage IV colon cancer. You can read my story as well as many other survivors under the colondar posts! Try not to worry and just see what the pathology report says and we will be here for you and walk the walk with you and your family. Ask questions as often as you need. There are no dumb questions and you will probably get an answer from many of us who have been there.

Todd Colitti
Never give up HOPE and Always BELIEVE!
DX Age 35 1999
Stage IV CC with mets to liver (4lesions)
Colon & Liver resection (both lobes), removed appendix and gall bladder
5fu/leucovorin
2009 COLONDAR Model

autumneagle

Postby autumneagle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 pm

tcolitti wrote:Sorry that you had to be here under these circumstances, but welcome to the club. You will find a wealth of knowledge from others on this board that have been exactly where you are at. Slow down first, take a big deep breath and listen to what others have to say. I was diagnosed at 35 stage IV colon cancer. You can read my story as well as many other survivors under the colondar posts! Try not to worry and just see what the pathology report says and we will be here for you and walk the walk with you and your family. Ask questions as often as you need. There are no dumb questions and you will probably get an answer from many of us who have been there.

Todd Colitti

Thanks Todd, I recieved the report today and it is cancer. They said that the cells were moderatly differented and I have an appointment tomorrow with Dr. Koffman in Sellersville Pa. I hope this is not a death sentence and I still hold out hope that I might make it to my Dads age (83) and not die with cancer. At least this cancer. Anyway, thanks for you words, they mean alot to me.

Blessings,

Mark Eastabrooks

drtrudi

Postby drtrudi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Well, if you need a poster girl - let me know.... My last name is Dam and I do have a doubly big Dam problem!!!!! LOL.... That last name AND stage 4 colon cancer..... But don't cry for me, Argentina!!!! Good luck to Mark - i will keep you in my prayers.....
Diagnosed April Fool's Day 2008 with Grade 4 mucinous adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon with peritoneal mets
4/23/08 colon resection
May 08 - folfiri
Nov 08 - irinotecan and avastin
April 09 - changed to folfox, erbitux, and avastin
CTC currently 0

jthomas

Postby jthomas » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 am

Don't worry, I got the same thing as you have only I am 65 years old. Stage IV ! Went through surgery and chemiotherapy and am cured now ! Of course you will get cured...don't think otherwise and you'll make it. It needs patience and courage. Will pray for you.. JO

RENPD

Postby RENPD » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Hello, My name is Ronnie Norris from McGehee, Arkansas. I was diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer on August 14, 2008. I have had successful colon resection surgery, 9 treatments of Folfox and 2 additional treatments of 5FU and Leucovorin. I am a hospital pharmacist and owner of a retail drug store here in Southeast Arkansas. I had a clean pet scan in December 2008 and a clean CT Scan in May 2009. I am very blessed to have come this far in a year. I am interested in participating in the Big Dam Problem on Aug 29. My wife and I are planning on being there and possibly other family members. Since I am so new to this, can anyone tell me more about the events of that day? Should we register online or wait until the day of the event. How long will this event last?

Thanks for all your help.

Ronnie Norris PD
McGehee, Arkansas

JAIN DB

Postby JAIN DB » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:45 am

Jthomas,
My father is 68 with stage 4 CC. Would like to communicate with you for motivation. please write to me at ritu@aadesign.in

thanks
ritu
dad 68 Dx stage 4
mCRC 02/09
solitary met to lung
resection rectum 5/09
liver lung brain mets 5/10
cyberknife lung gammaknife brain
chemo xeloda/oxi/erbitux

Sarah@ColonClub

Postby Sarah@ColonClub » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:43 pm

RENPD wrote:Hello, My name is Ronnie Norris from McGehee, Arkansas. I was diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer on August 14, 2008. I have had successful colon resection surgery, 9 treatments of Folfox and 2 additional treatments of 5FU and Leucovorin. I am a hospital pharmacist and owner of a retail drug store here in Southeast Arkansas. I had a clean pet scan in December 2008 and a clean CT Scan in May 2009. I am very blessed to have come this far in a year. I am interested in participating in the Big Dam Problem on Aug 29. My wife and I are planning on being there and possibly other family members. Since I am so new to this, can anyone tell me more about the events of that day? Should we register online or wait until the day of the event. How long will this event last?

Thanks for all your help.

Ronnie Norris PD
McGehee, Arkansas

Hi Ronnie!

First off, Hooray for your clean scan this May!

We would love to have you come up for the walk. It's great fun and brings
so much awareness about colorectal cancer to Arkansas. I would suggest
that you go ahead and register for the event. That way we know for sure to
have your Colondar and t-shirt ready and waiting! You can register at
www.BigDamProblem.com. If you would also like to fundraise for The Colon
Club and/or form a team, you can register at Active.com (there are
instructions on www.BigDamProblem.com).

The actual walking across the bridge begins at 9:00 a.m. I suggest that
you get there a little early to pick up your gift bag and to be comfortably
ready for the walk. If you'd like to come in the night before or stay
Saturday night, we have a reduced rate of $79 at the Hilton on University
in Little Rock for participants. Just call them (501-664-5020) and tell
them that you are with The Colon Club. After walking across the bridge, we
have a little program and then walk back across.

We are working on an event for Saturday night for all survivors and
friends. We don't have the details hammered down yet, but it's something
to keep in mind for your planning.

Please feel free to email me if you have any additional questions. I'm
happy to be of assistance!

Sarah
sarah@colonclub.com

Hannah

Postby Hannah » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Hey all,

I know several of you have been patiently waiting for hotel information for the Big Dam Walk!

Hotel: Hilton Little Rock Metro Center
Call: 501-664-5020 or 800-HILTONS to make reservation
Nights: Friday, Aug 28 and Sat, Aug 29 (if you are coming in earlier or staying later, let me know - they will probably give you the deal)
Rate: $79/night for single or double, includes business center, fitness center, parking
Checkin: 3pm
Checkout: 11am (if you want a late checkout, ask when you make the reservation)
Cancellation: 24 hours prior to day of arrival

CAN’T WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE WHO IS COMING!!
Hannah K. Vogler
Co-Founder, The Colon Club
cousin of Amanda Sherwood Roberts
dx 1/99 Stage III at age 24
died January 1, 2002 at age 27

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”