Nexium and diarrhea?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
klryder02

Nexium and diarrhea?

Postby klryder02 » Sun May 24, 2009 10:27 pm

Has anyone experienced diarrhea that they KNOW is a side effect from Nexium?

I'm still in the hospital for my electrolyte counts, and a couple of doctors are trying to figure out the diarrhea thing. One admitted they are grabbing at straws, and their latest theory is that the Nexium is causing my diarrhea. I haven't had any since Friday, and I am coughing more than ever.

This is all good and well, but if I can't have anything to treat the acid reflux (that I never had until chemo anyway) then what do we do about the coughing?

I am so sick of this. I am just sick of life. Coughing, diarrhea, low body weight, body rash, radiation side effects, swallowing problems, numb leg from previous surgery.

Ok, this post is turning a rant..sorry. I am sick of people telling me to keep fighting, be patient, things could be worse, your cure is out there. You know what, its not. I am going to MD Anderson in a few weeks to see about clinical trials, and sometimes I feel the only reason I will do any clinical trial is to help the colon cancer community. Cancer has made me so selfish and pissed that my family and teaching the next generation no longer seem like a valid reason to fight. That sounds so bad, but I don't even care anymore.
29, stage IV, diagnosed Oct. 2006, currently on Oxaliplatin, 5-FU, and Vectibix.
http://youcantcontrolrandom.blogspot.com/

Re: Nexium and diarrhea?

Postby Guest » Mon May 25, 2009 2:42 am

The most common side effects of Nexium, occurring in more than 1 percent of patients, were:

Headache
Diarrhea
Nausea
Flatulence
Abdominal pain
Constipation
Dry mouth.

I got that off http://gerd.emedtv.com/nexium/nexium-side-effects.html so yes, your diarrhea could well be due to the nexium.

I am not stage IV, I am stage III and a couple of years older. But I can relate to how you are feeling. I am sick of my well meaning friends failing to understand that since this diagnosis, I already feel like I have lost my life. All I want is to go back to the person I was, to do the things that I used to do without thinking and not to feel like I am counting down. It is all I think about now and I hate that it has taken over my life. So vent away, you have every right to in my book! (sometimes I could seriously throttle people who tell you to think positively!)

Postby Guest » Mon May 25, 2009 3:38 am

Hi!
I totally understand you. Diarrhea is the worst side effect I experience while on chemo and what is even more tragic - there is NO LOGIC whatsoever on when would it start and how long would it last. I tried a couple of things that seemed to work out and I was so happy I could finally control my diarrhea, but after a cycle or two, it started again despite my measures.
I had diarrhea after my surgery while on irinotecan. I could only get three cycles and then we had to discontinue the chemo. I took antibiotics then because the stool cultures were positive. There's one test for klebsiella toxin that has to be ordered specifically because the stool cultures do not detect it- did they do it?
Then I was a couple of months on Erbitux and got frequent BM after high dose infusion. And I was thinking: Et Tu, Erbitux?
Now I'm on Xeloda+Oxali+Erbitux. I got diarrhea for two weeks once and I attributed it to a major stress I had when my husband and I arrived to the airport just in time for our one week holiday (which was ruined, of course). The cultures were negative.
Now, I have diarrhea for a couple of days in the third week of my cycle when I'm off Xeloda and Oxali effect wanes(??why??). I think it has something to do with Erbitux because it starts invariably 1.5 days after infusion.
As you can see this is all very confusing, so I'm almost convinced 'my diarrhea center' leads its own confusing life no matter what I do.
I stopped drinking milk and dairy but I'm not sure if it helps at all, because I eat ice cream and have no problems. Now I drink lactose free milk and pretend it helps a bit. I tried probiotics and loads of yoghurt - I thought it helped but I'm not using any of these for quite some time now and have diarrhea anyway. I'm on Nexium for two months for gastritis but I don't think it has anything to do with diarrhea. I use Immodium a lot but it seems it only helps for the first two days and after that it's useless. I eat omega3 supplement and I imagine it protects my intestinal mucosa. BRAT diet - no use.
I can stand diarrhea for about 5 days without any changes in my weight and I also feel pretty OK (except for the sore butt), but after 5 days I have no appetite, my weight starts to fall dramatically (and I'm on thin side anyway, so can't afford to lose much) and the only food I tolerate is Ensure (phew), bananas and rehydrating solution. I don't drink Gatorade anymore because maybe sugar worsens the situation. Also, when I'm having diarrhea I try not to get upset because whenever I do, I am bound to the bathroom for a while.
Luckily, I regenerate pretty fast once this diarrhoic period is over and am ready for another cycle.
All in all, it's FRUSTRATING BEYOND WORDS!

M

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 am

My husband experiences diarrhea from Prilosec, Nexium and Protonix. The only other drug he is on is some blood pressure med that is unrelated. If he stops the acid blockers, diarrhea stops, but then of course heartburn starts again.

So, while I don't have experience, and my husband doesn't have cancer, it seems clear to me that the diarrhea can be a side effect of Nexium alone.
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

wendy1

Postby wendy1 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:35 am

I'm so sorry that you're experiencing all these side effects but I'm more sorry that you are so angry. I know it's hard to think positive when you are going thru all this and people telling you to think positive when they really have no idea what it's like, just sucks big time!! You have every right to feel the way you do and it's ok to have a pity party every once and awhile. But are you always going to be at that pity party???

I have been on Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, and every other pill that's out there for indigestion and acid reflux for over 7 yrs now. One side effect for all of these is diarrhea. I don't necessarily have it all the timebut it can come and go. Right now I haven't had any diarrhea for some time because all the other meds I'm on ( for all the side effects I have from chemo) give me constipation. Yes it becomes a vicious cycle going from diarrhea to constipation and back again,but I've learned to cope with it. When I was on chemo I had every possible side effect from the chemo, plus I became allergic and had to be on steriods. But what alternitive did I have? I just wasn't ready for that, so I try to get used to my new normal life. It might not always be good but I love my life anyway!!
DX Nov 2007, surgery, 6 months chemo. Mets to nodes had to wait 2 yrs before finding out cancer. 6 more months chemo, then mets to lungs. 6 more months chemo, not wking, cancer grew. Starting new chemo today, Cancer won't take me, old age will!

justsing

Postby justsing » Mon May 25, 2009 7:38 am

Nexium did not control my reflux adequately. The only thing that has worked for me is Prevacid and Zantac. Did you already try Prevacid?

I haven't had troubles with diarrhea from it.
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

crossyourfingers

Postby crossyourfingers » Mon May 25, 2009 8:11 am

I've had problem with all the Heart Burn meds. My doctor just put me on Zegreid. They have a power form you put water in and drink. It's the only one I haven't had bad side effect from!
Hope you figured it all out!
Brenda
DX 4/3/09 Rectal Cancer Age 42
LAR w/ J pouch Temp Ileostomy 4/27/09
T2 NO MO
Take down June 23 09
NED

Nanette
Facebook Username: Nanette Pepperday-Derry

Postby Nanette » Mon May 25, 2009 8:47 am

Hi all,

My husband has been on Prevacid and Zantac and it hasn't caused diarrhea. He hasn't been taking it for a while, but he does have diarrhea. We think it's from either the radiation or the Xeloda (or both). He has been on the Imodium, which only helps for a little while and then it stops. Lately, he has been using Pepto Bismol (liquid and tabs), and he says that works better than the Imodium. You might want to try it and see if it works for you.

I feel for all of you. I wish none of you had to go through this! It sucks big time!!!!!

-Nanette
Husband, Bruce - diag. 12/07/08 at age 50
Stage IIIB CC, poorly diff, muc. adeno, sig. ring cell
Stage I bladder cancer
1 of 17 LN affected
Colonectomy 12/11/08
Finished chemo/rad on 8/19/09
Four years NED on 12/11/12 - Thank God!!
Livin' life!!!!!!

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Mon May 25, 2009 9:15 am

Kelly, I was also going to suggest Zantac (aka Ranitadine). You can get the generic 150 mg tabs at Walmart for something ridiculously cheap like 65 tabs for $4 over the counter. They also come in timed release, but I just use the regular ones.

I was put on 150mg Zantac twice a day when they placed the liver pump, and briefly thought that I could go off it completely when they took the liver pump out last April. But even low carbing I can't control the indigestion/gas/acid reflux completely, so I stay on 150mg once a day, and sometimes add a dose at night if I'm feeling gassy or acid-y.

I haven't had anything stronger, ever, and I haven't had any diarrhea I could trace to the Ranitadine/Zantac.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

Ellen

Postby Ellen » Mon May 25, 2009 12:22 pm

I don't know anything about Nexium, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and really, really sorry that things are so rough.

Ellen
Stage IV CC
Colon resect, chemo, unsuccessful liver resection 2/07-11/07
Bile leak/progression 12/07-4/08
Folfiri/Erbitux, Folfiri/Avastin 5/08-6/09
Olaparib 7/09-9/09
Folfox 10/09-1/10
MitomycinC/Xeloda 1/10-
43 Y.O: 2 children: 3 and 5.5 years.

meeko

Postby meeko » Mon May 25, 2009 12:54 pm

I know from experience that Nexium does cause the runs..no doubt
rectal cancer 9/08
LAR 10/1/08
2nd surgery for peritonitis and abcess 10/08/08 w/ temp ileo
stage 2A (t3) N0/16 M0
total of 8 rounds of 5fu/Leucovoran-- 5/09
Reversal and Hysterectomy 10/09/09
Married, 2 daughters
So far ..so Good!

AugustWest

Postby AugustWest » Mon May 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Kelly - big hug to you...dang, i am so sorry for this crap u are going thru.

but yeah, talk to the dr. and see if zantac (or another) would be conducive
for you.

U better believe that there's about a gazillion people thinking about you.
heck girl, ya gotta go front row on some TX Aerosmith shows this summer, right???

Talk to you soon!
Stage IIIb CC - dx 8/07
4/26 nodes pos.
10 tx Oxaliplatin / 6 months Xeloda

Littlefish

Postby Littlefish » Mon May 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi, Nexium belongs to a class of drugs called Proton Pump Inhibitors. A chance maybe that one of the others might not cause the same side effects in you. Others in this class are- generic names- rabeprazole, pantoprazole & lansoprazole.
Like so many of us, I've also been put on Nexium since diagnosis (but fortunate to tolerate it well). Actually my esophagus light up like a beacon on my PET, I guess I already had reflux for a while.
Good luck.
Kath 35yrs
Dx Dec 08
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (1 Liver met- resected)
Treatment started Feb 09 :6 weeks Chemo/Radiation, April 09 Ultra Low Rectal Resection, June 09 Liver Resection
July-Nov 09 8 rounds FOLFOX & Avastin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”