colonoscopies after NED

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
tow joe

colonoscopies after NED

Postby tow joe » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for all the help, intended or not, I read it all.

I was fortunate enough to be NED after 1 year of colon cancer. I am 44 yrs. old...

My surgeon said I should have a colonscopy every 3 months, for at least 1 year... Today, I went to my cancer Dr. He said I was doing great, and that I only needed a colonoscopy every 3 years. He was fairly adamnent about it, asking if the surgeon says years or months. I am confused. My guardian (an RN) angel says go with the surgeon. Fifteen months ago., she said I should always do what the cancer Dr. says. I did & things have been going much better than I could have prayed for.

Being as these things are not comfortable, and I AM doing well, what should I do? The uncomfortableness is the least of my worries. I want to do what's best for me...

Please send your thoughts...

Still kicking cancers ass in detroit...

tow joe

noonie2

tow joe

Postby noonie2 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:26 pm

please, PLEASE, go with the every 3 months!!! 3 years is WAY too long for anyone having cancer!!!

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:11 am

I think there are a lot of factors to consider. What stage you are, was the Colonoscopy clean after your first year, is your colon cancer hereditary?? I am a Stage IIIa and my Colonoscopy was clean a year after my surgery and no family history of colon cancer. My Oncologist has told me I won't need another Colonoscopy for 2 more years now and the Cancer Institute recommends this as well. Some oncologists will test for occult (hidden) blood in your stool every year, followed by colonoscopy if the test result is positive. I questioned my Oncologist about this with concern and he assured me that my scheduled 3 month, now 6 month visits with him would show any problems or concerns. The same was stated as far as anymore CT Scans when asked. He said my body didn't need all the radiation and stress from the tests if there was no cause for the tests showing up at my visits. I am just going to be aware of any changes myself and contact him right away with any changes and continue the way he has stated. I trust him completly. It has just been my 2 year anniversary this month and doing just great!! He said that 85% of recurrence occurs within that 2 year period so it was a big milestone.

I hope this helped you with your question a little! I think we have to trust our instincts, faith in our doctors and faith in God. I have given this all to God and am at peace with my decision about my treatment!

Peg

ASTEPHENS33

Genetic Consideration

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:26 am

I don't really know about what the right frequency is, but I did have genetic test and do have a gene mutation. They want me to have more frequent ones initially to get a better understanding of how fast and often polyps are growing. The gene mutations have different effects on people, but one would get more and faster, so just something else you might want to think about.

nodo

Postby nodo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:22 pm

Have you seen a GI? I was stage IIIC. I do not have HNPCC, but Mayo and MD Anderson still think my cancer is genetic. I have been told to have a colonoscopy once a year by both these hospitals and my GI locally. They all told me this independent of each other. They want to do this through 5 years. Every three months seems like a lot, but I suppose that could depend on how aggressive your original tumor was and if it was hereditary.

suzieh

Postby suzieh » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:30 pm

Every 3 months seems like a lot, I work in a Colonoscopy lab as an RN and have rarely seen this frequency, well actually never seen it. Usually a year is adequate, Polyps never really grow from nothing to something with cancer in that short of a time, but your doctor is obviously wanting to follow you closely. I had no family history at time of diagnosis, 37 yo with stage 3 CC. I am to a 1 year colonoscopy for 2 years and then to 3 years after that. Good luck as you try to figure all this out.

johnmeissner

Postby johnmeissner » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:42 pm

I was DX at Stage 1 and had a resection. My 3 month follow up put me in the NED category. I am scheduled for a followup colonoscopy at the one year mark, which will be about August. I am hoping that, if this one comes back NED, then it'll be 3 years 'til the next one.
Hi, I'm John. But you can call me NED! Meet our son Jimmy at http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/jimmymize/

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:11 pm

I was told one year after surgery, then, if all is well, every three years. What they're looking for is a new cancer, and it takes a while for a new polyp to develop into cancer. After the first year or so, any recurrance of your first cancer would most likely NOT be in your colon. That's what the scans are looking for. Anyone who has had one cancer is at risk for new ones as well as recurrances. We have to be vigilant about both. But remember, 5 years with NED, and at least one cancer is gone for good.

If your surgeon thinks a local recurrance is unusually likely in your case, maybe you should find out why. Every 3 month colonoscopies sounds like a lot to me too. I'd ask. If there's a reason, I'd want to know what it is. If he can't give a good reason, you'll know that. You could also ask him to consult with you're oncologist or your GI doc, so you're not the one stuck in the middle.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:23 pm

Magnolia wrote:I was told one year after surgery, then, if all is well, every three years. What they're looking for is a new cancer, and it takes a while for a new polyp to develop into cancer.

Why would they want to wait long enough for a polyp to become cancerous? Better to remove polyps before they become cancerous, I'd think.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:00 pm

My protocol is an annual colonoscopy for the first five years. Had a little hiccup in December with new polyps removed so I will have another colonoscopy in March.

It is important to remember that each of our journeys are unique. Wishing you continued colon health for many, many more years to come.

Holly

crisco

colonoscopies after NED

Postby crisco » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:38 am

My Colorectal surgeon states it taks 4 years for a polyp to form 8 years to become cancerous - I had my follow up colonoscopy 3 years after bowel and liver resections (80%). Just had my second one after antoher 3 years and have now reached 5 years NED. They are not looking at the bowel for cancer but where it will metastize - blood counts to me are more valuable and have CEA's done now every 6mths - this will at least give a clue something is not right without the invasion of a colonoscopy and the risks that go along with it - 3mthly sounds horrendous

Ivanaplay2

Postby Ivanaplay2 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:56 pm

I was dx'd with CC in Dec., 05, 4 polyps, 2 of which were cancerous. Had a bowel resection in Jan., 06 with temporary ileostomy. Ostomy was reversed in May, 06. My CC turned out to be stage I, though they were not certain until after the resection was completed and the biopsies came back. I had my first follow-up colonoscopy on Jan 12, 07, and it came out completely clean (well, one small tab at the area where my colon was put back together. The doctor determined it was NOT a polyp, only a small mistake in the surgeon's sewing skills :D ) The doctor performing the follow-up colonoscopy said I was good for three years before my next scope should be done.

BUT - every case is unique. Follow your own doctor's advice. (And every three months does sound excessive to me, too!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”