Question regarding survivorship?!?!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
margotmagoo

Question regarding survivorship?!?!

Postby margotmagoo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:47 pm

I am approaching 1 year of survivorship! Can anyone tell me what day is my official survivorship anniversary? Is is the date of diagnosis, day of surgery, first day or last day of chemo? I am so excited to put one year behind me and am looking forward to a healthy and hopeful 2007. I plan on celebrating each and every day to the fullest!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"
Diagnosed January 2006 with stage IIIc at age 40.

Ron50

Postby Ron50 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:06 am

My surgeon and oncologist both regard the date of my operation as the start of my survival. It is the 22nd of this month .On the 23rd I start my tenth year as a survivor of stage three colon cancer. I did it one year at a time just like you are doing,best wishes Ron.

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:27 pm

Thanks, Ron....That puts my one year at January 20th.
I aspire to be a 10 year survivor such as yourself....Congratulations!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take....but rather by the number of moments that take our breath away"

Terry Miller

Anniversary

Postby Terry Miller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:26 pm

My tumor was discovered on April 6, 1999. My surgery was April 20, 1999. I consider the 20th as my anniversary date. Congratulations on your 1st....it is a big deal! Best wishes for continued good health.

Sincerely,
Terry

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:26 am

My understanding is the clock starts at first treatment. For me that was surgery. That puts me at 9 months and change. I was diagnosed on 3/10 and had surgery on 3/20. Chemo started on 4/24. Ended 10/11. Avastin will continue until the end of March. The One Year Mark.

Edward
Facebook Username: CoalRegionVoice

Survivorship

Postby Edward » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:50 am

Operation was 12/6, but diagnosis was 12/31. What date would mostly likely encourage a party? :wink:
Livestrong,

Edward
Colon Cancer Class of 2002
http://www.coalregionvoice.blogspot.com/

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:07 pm

Did the operation remove the tumor? If the operation was theraputic, and treated your tumor, I'd say that was the day.

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Thank you all for your responses. It is very inspiring for me to hear long-term survival stories.

Terry--Thank you for your good wishes.....I hope that 2007 will be a healthy year for you as well.

Edward-- I think a party is encouraged for both those dates!!! I was diagnosed Jan. 5th, 2006 so I plan on celebrating this Friday...Surgery was on the 20th so another celebration will be in order! I will also celebrate on the days of my first and last chemo treatment :) I wish you good health this year!

Every day is a reason to celebrate!

tonja

diagnosis

Postby tonja » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:47 pm

Hey! My oncologist told me that the day of my diagnosis is my anniversary date. Soooo, I'm planning a 2 year celebration this January 13th. Life's goooood 8) !

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:15 pm

Margot,

Congratulations on your survivorship! Sounds like you are eager to get your post chemo party started! Though many will have differing opinions as to what day specifically is your "versary", What day feels right to you? That is the day it shall be...and it my hope that you will cherish every moment. Trust me when I say that you will remember the day for always!

Holly

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 pm

My date of diagnosis and my date of surgery were just 10 days apart, with my wedding anniversary in between! March is a going to be a memorable month from now on! Not to mention colon cancer awareness month. Worked for me!

margotmagoo

Postby margotmagoo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:29 pm

Thank you all for your responses and well wishes! On Jan. 5 it was a year since my dx and I had plans to go out on the town....dinner, comedy show....but I ended up with the stomach flu...there is a strange irony in that! My kids were very worried to see me sick again but I am much better today. I will try again on Jan. 20 which will be a year from surgery.

Magnolia -- Yes, it seems March should be a celebratory month for you...many anniversaries to celebrate, Colon Cancer Awareness, and the end of Avastin! Yay for you :P

Tonja--A big congrats on your 2 years!

Holly-- I find any reason to celebrate...I truly enjoy being with friends and having fun. You are right...I will never forget any of the days (dx, surgery, beginning/end of chemo). I am REALLY hoping the best for you!! Sending you a special "kick a little cancer @$$" back at ya!

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:59 am

Hi guys,

Regarding survivorship in the long term, an old hero of mine from back in the eighties, Dirk Benedict (Faceman from the a-team) is currently on our screens over here in England in a show called celebrity big brother, where he and 12 other minor celebs are stuck in a house and filmed 24/7 for two weeks. I caught it yesterday and he was talking how he got prostate cancer when he was 30. Now i know its not ours, but i must admit it felt good hearing him talk about it. The guy is now 60, so he's survived 30 years!!! He was alson talking about a macrobiotic diet that he believes in. A bit of yin and yang. Quite interesting really.
Anyway i have my scan (ct) next tuesday so fingers crossed.

best wishes to all

Nick

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:10 am

Wow! Prostate cancer in young men is usually much more aggressive than it is in older men. Older survivors are all over the place, but younger ones really have a tale to tell. I know it's not colon cancer, but it's one of the ones no one wants to talk about. Icky body parts and all. it just goes to show that awareness has to be raised for ALL cancers. Early detectection, public awareness,and research funding are vital for all. AND survivorship is possible for any cancer.

kbs

survivorship

Postby kbs » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:19 am

I've gone with the date of my operation. My date of diagnosis was 2/4/04 and 2/9/04 was my surgery. I'm a few weeks from my 3 year anniversay! Yippie! Ms. December 2006!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”