IPHC

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
cbroughton

IPHC

Postby cbroughton » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:08 am

Another tough Christmas...new tumor in abdominal cavity showed up in CAT scan done Dec. 18 on our daughter, 23. She completed 12 rounds of Fulfox 5, plus oxy in June, Avastin in Dec. No sign of anything in July. Good news is that a follow-up PET scan, Dec. 22 showed no disease anywhere else. IPHC planned for early Feb. Would like to hear about others' expereriences with this treatment. (Diagnosed end of Nov. 2005, Stage III b; now IV.)

She's one tough cookie....even finished grad. school early while undergoing chemo.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:01 am

I don't know anything about this treatment. I just want to let you know my heart goes out to you and your whole family. I'm 52 and was diagnosed Stage IIIc in March '06. I just finished Folfox and am on Avastin now.

Your daughter is in my prayers. My highest hopes are with the new treatment. There are many young stage IV survivors on this board. She just joined them.

cbroughton

IPHC

Postby cbroughton » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Hi, Magnolia

Thank you for your message. I wish all the best for you, too. Isn't this board great? I just love having access to so many people's experiences.

Candace

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:19 pm

Candace, what does IHPC stand for? I just finished treatment and I am thinking a little slow.

Thanks, Miss Kim

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:21 pm

Ooops. I mean IPHC. :oops:

Miss Kim

cbroughton

IPHC

Postby cbroughton » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:08 am

Hi, Miss Kim

IPHC means Intra-peritoneal Heated Chemotherapy. This new tumor is the result of a cancer cell that probably escaped during her initial surgery. The abdomen isn't responsive to IV chemo because there are few blood vessels there. This is a relatively new treatment; in some medical circles it is referred to as "shake and bake." First comes the surgery to remove the tumor and anything else that looks suspicious. Since these little buggers like to hide on the ovaries and "fatty apron" these will go too. Then she will be closed up again and two tubes will be put in to administer a "chemo wash" that will slosh around inside of her for 2 hours; then it is removed and the cavity is rinsed out. As you can see this is not an easy operation; it can take up to 16 hours. After surgery she iwll be in ICU probably just for a night, then in a regular room for 7-10 days. Then 4-6 weeks recovery at home. She healed quite quickly after her first surgery, so we're hoping for the same; she's much healthier now that she was the last time.
So that's pretty much it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Candace

MissKim

Postby MissKim » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:56 pm

Candace,
Thank-you for the very detailed explanation, I really appreciate that. I like to read of new treatments and I pray that this will be 100% successful for your daughter. Your daughter sounds amazing -- finishing gradulate school while on chemo. Wow!!! You and your daughter will be in my prayers!

Sincerely,
Miss Kim

cbroughton

IPHC

Postby cbroughton » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:43 pm

Miss Kim

You're welcome...I'm finding explaining this treatment oddly therapeutic....

Best,

Candace

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”