Rectal Cancer Adjuvant Therapy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
wdt

Rectal Cancer Adjuvant Therapy

Postby wdt » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:51 pm

Does anyone know any specifics about getting radiation and/or chemo prior to surgery in rectal cancer? I had read that in larger tumors, you should radiate first to shrink it. My husband just had surgery and they were convinced prior to surgery that the tumor was confined to the bowel, so dthey did not think preop radiation was necessary. Well, once the path came back after surgery, it was discovered that although the tumor was confined to the bowel (not through the bowel wall and into the perirectal fat) Three of 12 lymph nodes were positive - which makes it stage III. I worry that he should have had therapy prior to surgery now that we know about the nodes. I know I cannot turn back time and change what has been done, but I would appreciate information from anyone who has had experience with this.

Thanks

Dave

Re: Rectal Cancer Adjuvant Therapy

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:52 pm

wdt wrote:Does anyone know any specifics about getting radiation and/or chemo prior to surgery in rectal cancer? I had read that in larger tumors, you should radiate first to shrink it.

I don't know how it's done elsewhere, but here in Tampa at the Moffit Cancer Center, Chemo-radiation prior to surgery, unless there is extenuating circumstances, is the standard protocol for rectal cancer, and has been for several years.
I only know this because I was asked to participate in a new study regarding more time and more chemo between radiation and surgery. They want to see if they can shrink the tumors even more.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:15 am

Hi Wdt,

I had my surgery in England, for rectal also never had radiation, mine was a stage III 3/28 nodes. Mine was higher up though, i mean you hear a lot of things where they also remove all the rectum, im seeing my onco next week so i will ask him the question.

Regards

Nick

wdt

Postby wdt » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:17 am

Thank you Nick. It sounds like we have a little rectal cancer "sub-group" formed here: me, Nick, Dave and Ron. Let's keep this going! We need all the support we can get.

My husband sees the Onco this morning and I will be going with him (what - let him go by himself? Never!) I am too anal - pardon the pun - to let that happen.

Keep in touch y'all.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”