What is Dr. Personality Name

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ransau75

What is Dr. Personality Name

Postby ransau75 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Hello Everyone - I have read so many good comments on here about Dr. Personality. I have a friend who is in search of a doc who is on the cutting edge. I wanted to point her in the direction of Dr. Personality. My friend had indicated that her docs want to refer her to Sloan Kettering...and if memory serves me I thought I have read on here that Dr. Personality is at Sloan.

All of you are such a great resource of information. Thanks for your help.
Stage IV Colon Cancer with multiple mets to the liver
Diagnosed: Oct 2007
Surgery: Oct 22, 2007 remove source tumor; resect of colon
Jan 09 - Erbitux, Irinotecan
Feb 08 - Avastin, Leucovorin, Irinotecan, 5FU
Jan 08 Oxiplatin - discontinued

Gaelen

Re: What is Dr. Personality Name

Postby Gaelen » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:28 am

Ransau, I sent you a PM with "Dr. Personality's" given name.
Hope that helps. ;)

This post brings up another issue, and something that people really *do* need to take into consideration when posting on such a high traffic, heavily searched board. There are ramifications--some good, some bad, and some that could make you personally liable for court actions--when you post contact information, comments and 'reviews' of doctors and hospitals using the real name of the doctor and/or hospital.

Now and then, I slip and use a real name with a comment. Not often--I try to be careful. When I slip, I blame chemo brain and I'll stick to that story! If the question is just a simple 'who is your doc?' I'll answer that with a real name...but I'll usually answer privately. Most times, when I mention a doctor by name I try to be careful to just include a name, and not a review or even a comment (whether that review/comment would be good or bad.) I will post links to their research, or discuss their research in the abstract. I may mention certain identifying characteristics which, if someone wants to connect the dots, will allow them to come to the correct conclusion if they wonder who I'm writing about (such as the fact that my doc has a twin who is a colorectal surgeon... or that she was interviewed a few years ago by 'Real Simple' magazine.)

But I really try to avoid writing and posting public reviews of doctors or hospitals. I just don't think it's professional (I do get paid for my writing), nor do I consider it appropriate or courteous as a patient, to post using real names in a support forum venue. I know that people are looking for information--but there are better ways to get it. Go to the medical centers' websites, and do searches for doctors at the hospitals you're considering. You'll find out all sorts of things. Meanwhile, if you want to know about my docs, PM me...and I'll answer any question you have privately.

Every post on a public, searchable forum like this one puts that entire post, including any real names included, into search engine and private computer caches every single time that post is read, every time that thread is refreshed...and that stuff stays in those caches for a looong time. I try to follow the same rules for public posts that I follow for business email--I don't ever want to post something that I wouldn't want to read aloud in front of my grandmother, or in front of the person involved. When I post, I ask myself if using the person's real name would or could:
-- cause another person harm or perceived harm
-- negatively affect the reputation of a person or organization (unless I'm clearly writing political opinion or editorial, which I occasionally do on my blog--and where me playing nice isn't part of the rules)
-- attach my name and/or my picture to a statement that a person could perceive as harmful to his/her personal or professional reputation, and therefore put me personally at risk
-- attach my name and/or my picture to something that will show up, long after I die, in a Google search of someone else's name

I've used the online screen name 'Gaelen' for going on 20 years now. I run forums as Gaelen, write as Gaelen, blog as Gaelen...the nickname or screen name is associated with me. In fact, the name of my cookbook-in-progress is 'Notes from Gaelen's Kitchen.' Are there links to my real name and picture online? Um...yeah. But most of them are still at least one or two degrees of separation away from my posts as Gaelen...in other words, if you search for Gaelen, you'll get some references and links, sooner or later, to my real name and picture. But so far, none of them show up on the first page of a casual search--and yeah, I check. ;) For those of you who've been reading here for awhile, you'll know that my picture (yeah--that's really me, taken the summer before dx) only became my avatar a few days ago. I thought long and hard before putting that avatar up here, because I do not link my real picture with my real name on high traffic boards. Among other reasons, it's just not personally smart for a woman who lives alone to have her picture, ner name and her location in search engines all over the net. So although my current avatar appears elsewhere on the 'net, it doesn't show up with cancer information that relates directly back to my doctors' names. I will likely switch it to something else pretty soon--to keep at least the illusion of a couple of degrees of separation from Gaelen and the internet and the world in which my docs and I interact.

I'd like to extend the same courtesy to my doctors and to the places where I'm treated. When I like their work--and when I don't--they deserve to hear that directly from me. They don't deserve to find out what a patient thinks of his/her latest doc visit, good OR bad, when they take a look at the first page of their name searches on Google (or anywhere else for that matter...) They especially don't deserve to have that information about our visits come up when OTHER patients Google their names.

Dr. Personality is a brilliant, hard-@ssed scientist-doctor who is also my NYC medical oncologist. She's not sweet and cuddly--but I don't need sweet and cuddly in a white coat when I'm in the fight of my life--I can get plenty of 'sweet and cuddly' from the red coats and blue roan coats with four legs who slept on my bed last night. ;) Dr. Bright Eyes (aka Dr. Sparkly Blue Eyes) and Dr. Birkenstocks are my colorectal and urologic surgeons, respectively. If you ever meet any of them, you'll know exACTly why I gave them those nicknames and you'll agree that the nicknames fit them perfectly. I've gotten emails and PMs after a post with those nicknames asking "is your doc so-and-so, because he or she is my doc, too." Their patients who encounter those posts will recognize those docs by their nicknames--but people who aren't their patients will (hopefully) not automatically have negative issues with those doctors, nor will those doctors get negative fallout because of my posts.

I give most of my docs nicknames to give me the freedom to relate the steps of my treatment without putting either them or myself permanently into a Google search engine using our real names. Just in case my grandmothers (rest their souls) can read this in their afterlives... ;) My docs repect their end of doctor-patient confidentiality...and they have a right to expect the same courtesy from me as their patient.

And that's why I choose not to post using my real name, and why I do not often refer to my doctors by their real names. YMMV--but remember, your grandmother--or your doctor--may be reading your post!
Last edited by Gaelen on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

justsing

Postby justsing » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:35 am

I have had discussions with all of my docs about using their names on-line, and they are all OK with it -- but I have great relationships with them and am happy with my care.

I guess I follow the "if you can't say anything nice . . ." rule.

There has been a lot of press lately about doc review on Angie's List and some other sites. I gather that some docs are now making their patients sign some sort of "promise not to post" document. The problem is that they have no way to respond to a negative review because they are bound by patient confidentiality laws. It's an interesting conundrum.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.
justsing, 46
Stage IV
colon resection 12/07
Liver resection 04/08
Phase I vaccine trial
liver, lung LN mets
tried Oxi, Iri and Avastin
now trying new chemo combos then sir spheres
College prof in theatre & voice
2 girls 18 & 14, one son 10

Gaelen

Postby Gaelen » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:29 pm

this is a Yahoo! news article about the Angie's list | do-not-post patient waivers Justsing mentioned.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090304/ap_ ... g_patients

Now some would say that treating yahoo! news as a reputable news source is a problem...but then again, since people ask for doctor information on a support website, an internet news source giving examples of the risks does seem to fit. ;)
Be in harmony with your expectations. - Life Out Loud
4/04: dx'd @48 StageIV RectalCA w/9 liver mets. 8 chemos, 4 surgeries, last remission 34 mos.
2/11 recurrence R lung, spinal bone mets - chemo, RFA lung mets
4/12 stopped treatment

cptmac
Facebook Username: Dorothy McGrath

Postby cptmac » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:35 pm

For those of you who follow Kevin MD, this was on his site

Can a doctor sue a patient for a negative online review? - 2009-03-07 14:00:00-05
That's exactly what's happening in this case in San Francisco.

Angered by a billing dispute with his chiropractor, a patient posted a negative review on the online review site, Yelp. Now he has to defend his review in court, which is, even if the case is thrown out, not a chance many patients are willing to take.

Indeed, if the medical profession really wants to shut down these sites, a few well publicized lawsuits like this one should do the trick.

On an unrelated note, Yelp itself is being investigated for "removing" negative reviews if the person or company in question purchases advertising on the site. If true, this can damage the integrity of the entire online rating business model.

Both these stories point to some of the obstacles that impede honest, useful, assessments of the medical profession. As patient advocate Trisha Torrey writes, there are already questions surrounding the credibility of sites which provide an online rating of a doctor: "Take other patients' reviews with a grain of salt. We patients may be great at determining how nice a doctor is, but do you want your choice of doctor being influenced by someone who was just ticked off that she waited in the waiting room for too long? Don't forget, too -- there is nothing to stop the doctor herself, or her spouse or nurses to fill out those ratings questionnaires."

Will a reputable brand like Zagat clean up the corruption and prove more useful to patients? Perhaps, but given the dismal results that the current online options offer, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

ransau75

Postby ransau75 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:27 pm

Thanks for the replies. This is a great forum for sharing information, but I agree care should be taken when sharing any professionals name be it, onc, surgeon or even their medical staff. Like corporations, medical professionals and hospitals hire services to troll all publications for their name to protect their brand. A doctor's name is their brand in the field in which they practice. They too have the right to protect their brand.
Stage IV Colon Cancer with multiple mets to the liver
Diagnosed: Oct 2007
Surgery: Oct 22, 2007 remove source tumor; resect of colon
Jan 09 - Erbitux, Irinotecan
Feb 08 - Avastin, Leucovorin, Irinotecan, 5FU
Jan 08 Oxiplatin - discontinued

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”