New article on efficacy data of Xeloda

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ketel

New article on efficacy data of Xeloda

Postby ketel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:37 pm

Gang,

Apparently, there was a recent article from the hematology/oncology department from Vanderbilt University regarding the efficacy of Xeloda on survival rates. The researcher quoted is Mace Rothenberg. Apparently, the article reports a boost in survivability of patients on Xeloda protocols. Anyone hear about this?

Of course, the million-dollar question is whether this improved survivability is versus the standard protocol for advanced colorectal cancer -- typically FOLFOX. I haven't found that out yet.

Most onc docs I consult have questions regarding the absorption of Xeloda because it is taken orally. For this reason, most docs prefer the infusion form of 5-FU which, let's face it, sucks.

Has anyone either come across this article or has knowledge of other credible data demonstrating improved efficacy of Xeloda versus infusional 5-FU?

thanks,

ketel

ASTEPHENS33

Xeloda Study

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:07 pm

As I understand it, the definitive study was from New England Journal Medical from June 30, 2005 (don't have web reference for this), done with about 2000 patients taking either 5FU or Xeloda. The study basically indicated that Xeloda was as effective as the IV form. The results can be seen on around page 5 of http://www.rocheusa.com/products/xeloda/pi.pdf, which is the manufacturer's information on xeloda.

These studies only compare 5FU and Xeloda, they do not compare 5FU and oxilplatin and Xeloda and oxilplatin, so its not been proven if there would interactive side effects. I believe there are studies going on in this area, but I don't have the reference.

cynnycal

Postby cynnycal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:37 pm

yea, when i asked my doc. if i could be switched to xeloda, as i thought it had the same effectiveness as 5FU, he alluded to the same thing, which was that yes it's as effective as 5FU, but they don't know how it is when combined iwth the Oxaliplatin, and that it may just be the same, but until there's more conclusive evidence, he'd prefer to keep me on 5FU and oxali.

might i add right now at this point that i hate hate hate HATE oxaliplatin.
.ugh.

NICK THE BRIT

Postby NICK THE BRIT » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:31 am

Hi guys

Ive just finished an 8 course combination of xeloda with oxaliplatin. My onco has said that the combination of the two drugs has come back with pleasing results and there is an improvement in taking the two together??

Who knows????

anyhow a very happy and positive new year for everyone on the board.

Nick

wdt

XELOX regimen

Postby wdt » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:19 am

Nick, Let me know how you did with the xeloda and oxaliplatin. The XELOX regimen is what my husband's oncologist has recommended for him. I have read (on this message board) about all the potential side effects of both drugs. I saw your reply on this string, but you did not indicate that you had much trouble with the drugs as of yet.

Also, I have read a lot on the XELOX combination, but the mainstream opinion is that it is still in clinical trials and the infusional 5FU/LV is still the standard when combined with oxaliplatin. If anyone has any information that would help me, please let me know. I read Hannah's post, and I agree with her assessment completely. I hate to think that in 6 months to a year, the clinical trials might get published that say the efficacy of XELOX is just as good as infusional 5 FU combination therapy and my husband missed out on it just because it wasn't "published" yet. All the preliminary results of the clinical trials are quite positive.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”