Just found the place, worried about symptoms...

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
reed030

Just found the place, worried about symptoms...

Postby reed030 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi everyone, im a 25 yr old male that is just freaked out by everything i read so just wanted some opinions on what ya'll think i should do with this. For several years i've had rectal bleeding never looked at my stools before, finally went to the Dr. about the bleeding and after a rectal exam she told me it was an interanal and exteranal hemorrhoid, and she could tell the internal one was bleeding. so that eased my mind but recently i started looking at my stools after a bowel movement, eww. Mine are usually small in shape and length, sometimes they are normal, but usually they are consistently inconsistent in size and shape. Just wondering if i should have a colonoscopy or if i should just calm my nerves and get over it. Thanks for all the feed back. oh and was able to ask a two dr's online and both thought the stools were not anything to be worried about, but i just cant get over it.

rthornton

Postby rthornton » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:32 pm

Given that you are 25 years old, it is unlikely that you have cancer but it's also not impossible. I only mean that the great majority of patients are older than you, but there are certainly younger people who are diagnosed with colorectal cancer. With the symptoms that you have listed, a colonoscopy is a very reasonable, and I would think important, step to take. Hopefully it will not reveal any serious problems, but if there is a serious problem then the sooner you can address it ... the better. Find a doctor who will listen to your complaints, take them seriously, and order a colonoscopy!

And, of course, I wish you the best!

Rodney

reed030

Postby reed030 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:55 pm

thx, the stools are the only thing that really have me bothered about anything, the doc just told me i was too young to worry about it and that it didnt matter that everyone is different with aspects to bowel movements. i just dont know if mine are because my nerves are so shot, since i think i read somewhere that the colon was part of the nervous system. ive never seen any blood in the stools only on the toilet paper, and thats after excessivley (sp?) cleaning myself, little paranoid about cleanliness in that area. just recently went to wet wipes seems to have helped a little. but thanks for any input, just searching for answers i guess.

Holly

Wow

Postby Holly » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:56 am

Reed,

Welcome to the Colon Club!

I implore you to get a colonoscopy! Colon cancer is an equal opportunist and affects men, women, young and old. Blood in your stools is not normal. Not for a minute did I believe that I would be dx with stage IV colon cancer at the age of 30. I encourage you to be PROACTIVE in the management of your health! Ask lots of questions and demand answers.

I hope that you will update the Colon Club on your journey and it is my hope that your colonoscopy is unremarkable!

Always,

Holly

pjpeace

Postby pjpeace » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:37 pm

Definetly get a colonoscopy!!! i was 30 and at stage III! us younger folks do get it...but the colonoscopy will ease your mind/fears.

best of luck!
Paula
"When you've been abandoned in the desert and the vultures are circling and squawking at you...raise you fist at them and yell "I'M NOT DEAD YET!!!"
Stage IV @ 30 yrs. 6/06 Ms. April 2008
Recurrence to pancreas 2/09 & 6/10

PGLGreg

Re: Just found the place, worried about symptoms...

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:59 pm

reed030 wrote:... and after a rectal exam she told me it was an interanal and exteranal hemorrhoid, ...

Now, that sounds familiar. I went to my doctor about blood in my stool the summer before last. He used a speculum and told me it was hemorrhoids, internal and external. If he had been right, of course, I wouldn't have read your message and wouldn't be writing this reply. I found out I had rectal cancer 3 months later when I had a colonoscopy.

But if you really want to play the odds, I suppose they're with you. It's probably just hemorrhoids. Even if so, that might be worth getting a referral to a gastroenterologist. Bleeding hemorrhoids can be tied off, I understand.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

KerryNelson

Postby KerryNelson » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:05 am

Reed-

Get the colonoscopy. That is the only way you will have peace about this situation. The actual procedure is nothing to worry about at all. I was given drugs and I do not remember one thing about it. Please have the colonoscopy and let us know the results, ok?

Kerry

tandys24

Postby tandys24 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:33 am

I am 31 and found out I had CC stage 3b when I was 30. I was told by my doctor after a rectal exam that it was internal and external hemroids also. When i asked my doctor are you sure about this because i do have the bloating, gas, and small stools her reply was " you are too young for it to be anthing else". Well when i did demand to see a spealist and we found out the truth he told me I have had this for years! Cancer does not have a age limit. I would get checked just to sure.
GOD Bless, and ALWAYS believe!!!

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:53 pm

You probably DO have hemorrhoids. But is that all you have? You have changes your bowel movements as well. If I were you I'd play up your story as much as possible. Describe every detail in technicolor, and be persistant. Odds are you don't have cancer, but you want to know that for sure, don't you? Despite the experiences of the young posters on this board, colorectal cancer IS relatively uncommon in people under 50. Not impossible, obviously, but uncommon. That's why too many doctors will see a hemorrhoid and look no farther. If that were your only symptom that might even be reasonable. You have a symptom, you have an obvious cause, the risk of anything else is low, the testing is expensive and invasive. But you have changes in your bowel habits as well. TWO major symptoms should start some alarms ringing, if you jingle the bells a bit. If you get too much of an argument, mention knowing some young people with colorectal cancer. I'm sure there are some folks here who won't mind being poster children for you. But try not to panic. Like I said, odds are it's not cancer.

reed030

Postby reed030 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:22 pm

thanks for the responses, i plan on making an appointment sometime this week to see a proctologist. Just to clarify, i never have had blood in or on my stools, nor during a bowel movement, that i know of. Its always after the bowel movement and after i have cleaned the area for long periods of time. The the stool size and shape seem to never be the same some are large some are small, its just that more times that they are small, or broken up. Thats the part that has me worried. i also read that there are many things that can cause this problem, but i do want to be on the safe side here so i am trying to schedule an appointment to get checked out. I can also see the external hemorrhoid that the Dr told me about, im just hoping she was right about the one she said she could see that had been bleeding. Thanks again everyone, and ill be sure to let ya'll know as soon as i get done with the tests.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:05 am

Sounds like you're doing the right thing, and good luck. Here's hoping you'll report back with happy news.

reed030

Postby reed030 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 am

hi everyone, just got back from the colonoscopy today, and they said it was all clear. no polyps or anything, just a few hemorrhoids that they gave me medication for. just wanted to pass on the news and say thanks for all the insight. cant tell ya'll how much i wanted to cancel that thing but i just kept thinking that the only way to know for sure is to have it done. now im glad i did. thanks again.

Sweet Peg

Postby Sweet Peg » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:59 am

Wonderful news!!! I am SO glad you had the Colonoscopy so you could have peace of mind!!!

Peg

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:49 pm

Now we ALL feel better. Peace of mind is worth a whole lot, isn't it?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”