Does anyone have experience Jane McLelland and starving cancer?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ranhanssen
Facebook Username: ran.hanssen

Does anyone have experience Jane McLelland and starving cancer?

Postby ranhanssen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:32 am

Has anyone tried to actually use some of the methods to starve cancer along with their treatment? Just was reading into it and was curious to hear what others may have done!

Lee

Re: Does anyone have experience Jane McLelland and starving cancer?

Postby Lee » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 pm

I am not familiar With Jane McLelland, butt a few years back, some people around here were eating very few calories a day or two prior to infusion. Theory was stare the cancer cell, chemo was more effective in attacking cancer cells with less side affect to you. Not sure if this is what you are talking about. If yes, look for an old timer, Ashley, her avatar/photo was Elizabeth Montgomery, an actress from the !960's, Bewitched, who died from this disease. Look at some of her threads & posts.

Good luck, hope this helps,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Green Tea

Postby Green Tea » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:52 am

Lee wrote:I am not familiar With Jane McLelland, butt a few years back, some people around here were eating very few calories a day or two prior to infusion. Theory was stare the cancer cell, chemo was more effective in attacking cancer cells with less side affect to you. Not sure if this is what you are talking about. If yes, look for an old timer, Ashley, her avatar/photo was Elizabeth Montgomery, an actress from the !960's, Bewitched, who died from this disease. Look at some of her threads & posts.

Good luck, hope this helps,

Lee

utahgal7

Postby utahgal7 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 am

Hi,

I agree with Lee's post about fasting before chemo. However, every person's cancer is different. I have read studies where fasting made the cancer worse (i.e. rapid spread). Fasting benefits do not apply to every type of tumor. If I were you, I would be very hesitant to fast unless it was before chemo AND I had my oncologist's approval.

Just saying! Good luck to you!
02/20 Rectal Cancer dx - 4 cm mass; located 9 cm from AV
03/20 CEA 2.7; 0.9; 1.4; 0.9; 0.9; 1.2; 1.0; 0.8; 1.1; 1.0; 1.1; 1.7; 1.8; 1.8
1.9; 2.4; 2.3; 2.8; 2.2, 2.8, 3.2; 3.0; 1.6; 2.0; 1.2
04/20 ST Radiation; 04/20 LAR surgery w/ileostomy; ypT3N1bM0; MSS, KRAS G12A
05/20 CAPEOX; 08/20 Ileostomy reversal
12/20 CT scan; lung nodules (watch and wait);
11/22 lung nodule biopsy positive for RC met;
1/23 VATS right lower lobe wedge resection
FOLFIRI 10 cycles

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:55 pm

I don't have any experience with any diet that starves cancer but I do have experience with a fasting-mimicking diet during chemo. The idea is not to starve the cancer, the idea is to put your normal cells into a protection mode because they think there's a famine so they sort of shut down. Cancer cells have no such regulating mechanism so they don't go into hibernation (not accurate but you get the idea); the cancer cells just keep getting hungrier & hungrier so that when chemo hits your system, they gobble it up like an all-you-can-eat buffet but your normal cells aren't very interested. It's more to help with side effects - less toxicity to normal cells - but, in theory, the cancer cells get extra helpings of chemo so it should help on that front. It's not a complete fast - you can eat up to 500 calories a day. You need to start 2 days before chemo and continue until 1 day after chemo. In my case it made a HUGE different in reducing side effects from Folfiri. I had to fast for a week at a time which was tough the first 1-2 times but not bad after I got the hang of it. It's surprising how much food you can eat after you figure out the system. I was "fasting" under the supervision of a naturopathic oncologist with the skeptical blessing of my MD oncologist (as long as I didn't lose too much weight, he was ok with it).

I'm not suggesting you do or not do anything, only passing along information.
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:54 pm

zephyr wrote:I don't have any experience with any diet that starves cancer but I do have experience with a fasting-mimicking diet during chemo. The idea is not to starve the cancer, the idea is to put your normal cells into a protection mode because they think there's a famine so they sort of shut down. Cancer cells have no such regulating mechanism so they don't go into hibernation (not accurate but you get the idea); the cancer cells just keep getting hungrier & hungrier so that when chemo hits your system, they gobble it up like an all-you-can-eat buffet but your normal cells aren't very interested. It's more to help with side effects - less toxicity to normal cells - but, in theory, the cancer cells get extra helpings of chemo so it should help on that front. It's not a complete fast - you can eat up to 500 calories a day. You need to start 2 days before chemo and continue until 1 day after chemo. In my case it made a HUGE different in reducing side effects from Folfiri. I had to fast for a week at a time which was tough the first 1-2 times but not bad after I got the hang of it. It's surprising how much food you can eat after you figure out the system. I was "fasting" under the supervision of a naturopathic oncologist with the skeptical blessing of my MD oncologist (as long as I didn't lose too much weight, he was ok with it).

I'm not suggesting you do or not do anything, only passing along information.

What zephyr wrote is a better description of what I was trying to write. Zephyr nailed it above from what I remember about it.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

FightCRC

Postby FightCRC » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:36 am

ranhanssen wrote:Has anyone tried to actually use some of the methods to starve cancer along with their treatment? Just was reading into it and was curious to hear what others may have done!

There is a very active group on Facebook devoted to HOW TO STARVE CANCER.

I believe in Jane's theory of blocking pathways to "starve" cancer. I certainly find her approach much more comprehensive than the simplistic/insufficient Care Oncology Clinic protocol. However, even Jane herself acknowledges that Stage IV is a particular difficult challenge. And unfortunately, I have not come across a single Stage IV CRC patient who was cured via any combination of diet/repurposed drugs.

For that matter, the same is true of the Joe Tippens Protocol centered around fenbendazole.

Siti

Postby Siti » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:24 pm

After reading that book, I enrolled in an experiment on myself. Based on studies, there’s no actual way to starve cancer. Anyway, I was determined to offer my husband the best diet during his treatment and thought I’d install a continuous glucose monitor on myself to see if any of the meals I am making would potentially cause a glucose spike. The findings on me were very interesting, every morning I’d eat the same bowl of oats + plant milk and berries, and every morning I’d get a big difference in reading — it spiked on several occasions. I also tried sweet dessert (small amount) and there was no glucose spike. In my group, those who were on the same experiment as me, some would actually get a spike on for example a banana or an apple! I think it was enough evidence (at least I’m convinced myself) that there is no way anyone can theoretically starve cancer based on food / supplements because everyone is different and the body metabolises food differently on different days.

This is the glucose monitor:
https://www.freestylelibre.us/

This is the program I enrolled in:
https://www.theclearhealthprogram.com/

Personally, I think it just best to have a clean whole foods diet so that you’ve enough energy to actually complete chemo and have the energy to support a good immune system.
DH (54) DX on 5/7/19
Sigmoid|G3|LN:30/31|MSS|WT KRAS, NRAS, BRAF
7/19 PET distant LN para-aorta neck hip (0.5-1.5cm)
7/19 Lap resection
26/8 to 20/12/19 CAPEOX+Bev 7x
6/11/19 CT 3 cycle LN shrunk
1/20 Cap+Bev
4/20 TS-1+Bev due to bad HFS
NED 4 years
8/23 PET recurrence chest LN growing since Feb. CEA May(4.5>5.1>5.9)
9/23 Stopped Bev, CEA Sept(8.7) Radio 17x
11/23 PET 1+ supraclavicular LN, CEA (3.4>2.5)
12/23 Lymphadenectomy
1/24 Narrow margins, 1/5 +LN, 1.4cm +tissue, TMB (19)

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:06 am

I know that PeteLostAtSea was on a keto diet for quite a long time with supplements, etc. but still had cancer spread and died. This is what you typically find with real-world examples of people who apply things in books like this. The people who are successful are never someone you know or don't have a stake in the success of the book or program.

The fallacy of this theory is that cancer won't grow if there is no glucose. Yes, cancer loves glucose. But in the absence of glucose, cancer cells can convert other readily available food sources into energy. You can't starve cancer of glucose and kill it.

This doesn't mean that excess glucose won't affect cancer growth, though. It would be ethically irresponsible to have patients with active cancer eat extra glucose to find out.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”