Appendicitis or Tumor?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
missnattlebee
Facebook Username: Natalie.Jeffers

Appendicitis or Tumor?

Postby missnattlebee » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:52 am

Curious if anyone has had appendix issues during chemo. Tonight I started having some pain in my appendix area. I am always scared its going to be tumors. I'm 4 rounds of chemo in right now. I have 2 more to go before I have an ablasion done. I tried to search for this topic elsewhere.

Thank you in advance,

Nat
40yr old single mom of 5
Diagnosed with stage IV cancer (Adenocarcinoma) in mid July due to metastases in the liver.
Sigmoidectomy on 7/28
3 of 17 lymph nodes tested positive and were removed
Malignancy - Negative
MSI - Negative
pT3
pN1B
Stage IIIB if M0 but of course it had metastasized in the liver which bumped me to Stage IV.
BRAF - Not Detected
KRAS - Not Detected
NRAS - Not Detected
Last CEA 8/20 - 7.5
Chemo Meds - Folfox (Oxaliplatin, Leuvovorin, 5FU) & MVASI

Lee

Re: Appendicitis or Tumor?

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:31 pm

That is a question you really want to ask your Onc just to be on the safe side, IF you have not already done so. I was not a stage IV, butt no, not what you described. Me I had NO pain anywhere, at anytime other then surgery & radiation.

Hope all is well,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 am

Unlike Lee, I found that I had mysterious pains in several locations after surgery--and still do, actually--although no reason for them ever showed up on a scan. One thing I could be sure was that it wasn't appendicitis, since that was removed as part of the right hemicolectomy. :D

Aren't you about due for another scan? When is your next infusion? If the pain persists, I think you should call your onc's office, especially if you have a fever! Otherwise you could wait to notify them at your next infusion...but monitor your temperature, and see if there is pain when the area is pressed. also monitor your bowel habits. Listen to your body. There is no shame in going in with persistent pain.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

missnattlebee
Facebook Username: Natalie.Jeffers

Postby missnattlebee » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Thank you both for your feedback.
My next infusion is on Monday and I'll be having another CT scan next month after round VI. The pain comes and goes and without a fever. I still monitor my temperature, and the doc says it could be appendicitis that is unrelated to chemo. So I'm just monitoring it for now, taking notes of how often it comes and for how long it lasts. Thanks again. When you get these weird pains, especially in the middle of the night, your mind really can do a number on you!
40yr old single mom of 5
Diagnosed with stage IV cancer (Adenocarcinoma) in mid July due to metastases in the liver.
Sigmoidectomy on 7/28
3 of 17 lymph nodes tested positive and were removed
Malignancy - Negative
MSI - Negative
pT3
pN1B
Stage IIIB if M0 but of course it had metastasized in the liver which bumped me to Stage IV.
BRAF - Not Detected
KRAS - Not Detected
NRAS - Not Detected
Last CEA 8/20 - 7.5
Chemo Meds - Folfox (Oxaliplatin, Leuvovorin, 5FU) & MVASI

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”