Generational Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dushell
Facebook Username: Michelle Dufoe

Generational Colon Cancer

Postby Dushell » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:01 pm

What kind of sick and twisted thing to pass onto the ones you love, even unwillingly.
My amazing grandfather Albert (my mom's dad) was diagnosed with colon cancer when he was 76. He was a very strong man. He was beating up rocks when he got the call. He died within 4 months. He refused treatment.
My mom was diagnosed with colon cancer when she was 64. She did chemo and surgery bought time. She attended my wedding and was starting the constant phlegm that led to the cancer in the lungs. She passed when 66 in November of 2018.
I was diagnosed with a stage 4 highly agressive polyp in 2016, just before my 40th birthday. They removed the polyp and I have been cancer free until Jan 2020. A 5mm nodule was found in my left top lung. Apr 2020 found 2 more nodules. In Jul 2020 the nodules have not changed size but a 2cm mass was found in my pelvis attached to my sciatic on the left. Biopsy showed it was the same stage 4 aggressive cancer.
Aug started 5 rounds of radiation and after the 2nd I am able to walk without a cane.
I am seeing the oncologist on Sept 1 2020 to discuss when and what kind of chemo therapy she is using.
My husband and 3 kids are trying to stay strong but seeing what has happened to my family has made then left wondering what they will do without me.
Why did I have to be the person who you could count on, to br there for you. Why was I the person who always would make a big stink about you and do ANYTHING for you at any time? This has really made those I love step into survival mode.
My husband is horrified. My son with autism (20) has been calling and wanting to sleep over to spend time with me. He knows that he will require genetic testing and a colonostophy by 30. He told me that he has no idea how to understand this information but he just tells me he loves me more. The other 2 have been very strong and wants to visit more.
My dad is still alive (73) and lost for words as he just lost his wife in Nov 2018.
I feel as though I need to help everyone understand how strong and fearless I am towards this. I am starting to feel tired from the radiation and I know that the chemo will make it harder to find energy to help others feel comfortable around me.
I am so happy I was told about this group. I can really hear some great survival stories!!!!

polluxx

Re: Generational Colon Cancer

Postby polluxx » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:25 pm

My dad died of colon cancer and now here I am. It is hard.

I also have a kid with Autism. Mine is 26 and I haven’t seen her since my diagnosis, but she will be home for Christmas.

I have 4 kids at home now ranging in age from 24 to 10 years old. It is hard to think about leaving them.

I just want you to know that you are not alone.
Stage 3c
2/2020 Right colon hemicolectomy (invasive adenocarcinoma with micropillary features)
Moderately differentiated
Tumor size: 4.4 in greatest dimension Metastatic Carcinoma in 12 out of 28 lymph nodes
Extranodal extension identified
Margins negative

3/2020 Began 12 rounds of FolFox
9/2020 Finished FolFox
12/2020 PET Scan-NED
1-2021 ctDNA Test negative
5-2021 ctDNA Test negative
7-2021 ctDNA Test negative
9-2021 PET/CT Scan-NED

stu

Re: Generational Colon Cancer

Postby stu » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:52 am

Hi and welcome ,

The unique thing about this forum to me is it’s been around for a long time . That allows long term stage 4 survivors to come back and encourage others just starting out . I got my eyes on a few of them when my mum was first diagnosed . Thankfully I still have my eyes on some of them . My own mum is 11 years into her diagnosis. Living a good life .

Others are further ahead of my mum .

Treatment was rough I don’t think there was much side stepping that and despite being older than your kids I don’t think we can prevent our loved ones seeing what is happening during treatment . But one way or the other she made it through the cycles and opened up other options . Lots of good scanning and clinical judgements have played their part .

Everyday matters not just those of the future and we set about trying to make them all count .

I wish you every success and as my Irish daddy would say. More power to your elbow .

Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”