Diverticulitis?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
garbovatwin

Diverticulitis?

Postby garbovatwin » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:11 am

Today I am starting week seven of an eight week treatment with MaVYRET for hepatitis C which we contracted in the military.

The treatment has been going great with no serious complications But I did begin one four days ago.

I've been experiencing pain in the lower left side of my colon And I think it could be diverticulitis I never had it but I think it is it has all of the symptoms of being diverticulitis

I'm heading in today to see if they can you imaging or whatever Since most hospitals are in the nonessential lockdown Just to determine what it is and if it is that I'll probably be prescribed Antidepressants

I'm not going to do anything to compromise this Treatment I'm on because it's working and in two weeks I will be rid of that virus.
OUR world is worth saving
Question everything. Become your own Advocate.
When we find a cure for one cancer it will lead to a cure for ALL cancer
Crohn's Colitis
Rectal Mucosa Resection - Oct 2010
Rectal Surgery - Sep 2011
Stroke Sep 2012

CRguy

Re: Diverticulitis?

Postby CRguy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:36 pm

Sending you best wishes and POSI vibes for kicking the virus to the curb !

I recall past posts where we specifically mentioned Antidepressants in relation to GIT function / issues

Hopefully this topic and links may give you a head's up on something useful
Re: CRC Veteran Check-In! LAR Syndrome question

Cheers and best wishes friend
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Detox

Postby Detox » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:37 pm

I have had diverticulitis for years now (with no apparent pain) and my GI said it's nothing to worry about as millions have them. I think the severity also matters, or if it gets clogged, so it's something to keep an eye on, but mostly nothing to worry about.

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 pm

I have a good friend who almost died of diverticulitis. It got completely out of control, she was septic, had multiple surgeries, and was in a medically induced coma on a respirator for at least 3 weeks.

She had a stoma that was eventually reversed. Very difficult operation, because of extensive tissue damage. Later, she had a hernia that was also fixed, with much difficulty. Her surgeon for both of these procedures was willing to try where others were not.

Many people have diverticulitis, but it is nothing to sneeze at.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

Usmccolon

Postby Usmccolon » Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 am

How did this turn out for you?

Diverticulosis are the pouches and don't cause pain. When those pouches get infected then you get diverticulitis which is painful.

Diverticulitis is no joke. First time I had it was the worst. Went to VA ER when things were getting better and they didn't want to do CT because of my young age.

After that pain hasn't been as bad. I really had a general feeling of being unwell and I kept messaging my primary to the point he said to tell him when I have an acute issue. I responded same day about abdominal pain I was having and other symptoms. He ordered CT which I got a week or so later. That showed diverticulosis.

So month or two later I had the same pain and symptoms as I had a few times before. Pain has always been ( except first time when it was constant) intermittent and only lasted maybe a minute at a time. I thought those other times we're diverticulitis after I learned I had diverticulosis from the original CT. I started to get a fever (always got fevers) so I decided to go to the urgent care who sent me to ER. Pain was intense but laster a minute at most.

Went to ER and I was actually assigned the head of ER as my Dr. She noted lower right pain but seemed like she thought I was fine. Told her about previous CT which also shower swollen nodes in lower right as well as diverticulosis in lower left. She said it could be lymph node inflammation. Later I saw she ordered CT to rule out appendicitis. After she got results she walked back into the room with a big smile lol. It's like she was surprised because there was a serious issue and I seemed fine to her. That's when I was diagnosed officially the first time. CT even showed free fluid in pelvis come from colon.

Point is that you can't always assume if pain isn't unbearable it's nothing to worry about. Diverticulitis is definitely serious business and I hope you're ok.

waw4

Postby waw4 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi Garbovatwin,
I think Usmccolon was on-the-money and I hope you are all done with this now & with the Hep C as well.

The only thing I'd add is as I understand it, diverticulosis becomes diverticulitis when you get a bacterial infection which if it becomes severe enough can rupture the colon wall following which the infection would spread with possibly fatal results.

A sign of a bacterial infection would be a fever, at which point you would hopefully be in the ER receiving antibiotics.

Regards,
Bill
Bill's Colonoscopy 6/29/10; Dx Stage I or II
Surgery 7/15/10; Dx Stage III,15/32 lymph nodes
FOLFOX4 start 9/14/10; end 1/20/11 (9 tx)
2021 dx MSH6 Lynch Syndrome positive
(as are my brother, sister & son, but not daughter)
Grateful for 2nd Chance NED time!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”