Small hiatal hernia

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mohrfamily

Small hiatal hernia

Postby Mohrfamily » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:23 am

So DH has been feeling uncomfortable pressure after every time he eats at the top of his belly. I did some digging into his last scan in December and saw "Small hiatal hernia"

He went to Doctor Google over hernias and got a lot of unsettling information. He feels like he fits noisy sounds associated with a typically bad hernia that ultimately can result in a pinched intestine and well death. Anyone out there have issues like this. We see there oncologist tomorrow and will be sure to mention this.
DH dx stage IV liver mets largest 6x6.4 cm
Colonoscopy/endoscopy/port place 5/29
4cm mass in splenic flexure
1st round FolFox 5/30
08/2018 new CT no new lesions, clear lungs, slight decrease in colon.
3/2019 PET scan shows greater than 6-7 liver mets largest measuring 3x3 cm. No growth nothing new.
8/15/19 largest liver lesion 1.9x2.1
9/16/2019 OSU to proceed with surgery implant HAI and colon resection
11/19 resection of colon HAI placed
2/20 CEA back to 1000s, liver worse than when we began-start FOLFIRI

Lee

Re: Small hiatal hernia

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Are you talking about a hernia or a blockage? A blockage is when your intestine gets twisted, you are unable to pass anything. Throwing up along with waves of nausea and pain. If it continues for a long period of time, seek medical help as you could be killing off the twisted part of the intestine.

They tend to be more common after a recent surgery which I believe your husband had. I've had a few. For me, they usually only last about 2 hours. I do not eat or drink anything until I start passing gas. Once I'm passing gas, I know then, the twisted intestine works it self out.

Do bring it with his Onc or possibly his surgeon. Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

kandj

Postby kandj » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:08 pm

Lots of people get hernias after abdominal surgery. As long as there isn't intense pain, fever, etc with it they just leave it alone. DH has had one show up on scans for the last few years. They always note it and also note small, non obstructed bowel loop through it. It is pretty low on the surgical fix list.
wife to DH, dx 8/15 stage IV @36, 12+ liver Mets
HAI placed 12/15
Liver resect 5/19/2016 15-20 mets (surgeon lost count)
Liver Recurrence 7/2017-radiation
Lung met 10/18 VATS
lung/adrenal gland recurrence 11/19
Adrenal ablation 2/20 VATS 3/20
Radiation: 9/20 adrenal gland, 2/21 pancreatic node
9/2021 liver, 4/22 esophageal node
7/2023 proton therapy: liver
140+ rounds of chemo and counting
Chest nodes, lung nodules, and esophageal nodes currently.

Mohrfamily

Postby Mohrfamily » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Lee wrote:Are you talking about a hernia or a blockage? A blockage is when your intestine gets twisted, you are unable to pass anything. Throwing up along with waves of nausea and pain. If it continues for a long period of time, seek medical help as you could be killing off the twisted part of the intestine.

They tend to be more common after a recent surgery which I believe your husband had. I've had a few. For me, they usually only last about 2 hours. I do not eat or drink anything until I start passing gas. Once I'm passing gas, I know then, the twisted intestine works it self out.

Do bring it with his Onc or possibly his surgeon. Good luck,

Lee

He hasn't thrown up but has felt nauseated he feels the pressure which can be painful at times. He's mentioned his BMs come out in weird shapes lately not like what he's used th o seeing anyway.
DH dx stage IV liver mets largest 6x6.4 cm
Colonoscopy/endoscopy/port place 5/29
4cm mass in splenic flexure
1st round FolFox 5/30
08/2018 new CT no new lesions, clear lungs, slight decrease in colon.
3/2019 PET scan shows greater than 6-7 liver mets largest measuring 3x3 cm. No growth nothing new.
8/15/19 largest liver lesion 1.9x2.1
9/16/2019 OSU to proceed with surgery implant HAI and colon resection
11/19 resection of colon HAI placed
2/20 CEA back to 1000s, liver worse than when we began-start FOLFIRI

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 pm

Yes, maybe mention something to his surgeon, butt try not to worry. His body is still healing.

I had my surgery done in the beginning of August, around the end of December, I swear my tail bone was opening up, I have a Barbie Butt. Husband looked back there, everything looked fine, called my surgeon. It was the holidays, she was the on call doc. Because I was not in pain, and everything looked good there, we would wait until after the holidays.

Butt she says more than likely, my body was relaxing back there. Another step that my body was healing. When I did see her, everything was fine.

Hope this helps,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”