7 Year cancerversary

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kiwiinoz

Re: 7 Year cancerversary

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi Julie

I've moved a couple of times over the past few years so I don't have a gym in the apartment complex I live in as I now live in a terrace. I don't have a garage but I have a car port which is supposed to fit two cars but I have a very narrow lane way with a 90 degree kink it in so I have to do a 300 point turn to get into the garage so I don't have any gym equipment.
Mrs Kiwi and I have a room up the top where we got a mirror installed, some yoga mats, a bench, some weights and one of those boxes that you jump up and down on. We've been doing to cardio but lots of plyometric and weights.

I can't really go into the mountains as it is a 90 minute drive to get to them and they also have bush fires. Sydney is in a basin and no matter what direction you go in there are fires so we're kind of stuck with it.

Are you kidding me about the shoes? I have tones of Asics. I have to be diligent in chucking out the old ones as I run out of room. I use Kayano for my long runs at the moment and for intervals I use DS Trainers. I have GT2000 for my recovery runs and I have a few pairs of Noosas as I love the funky colours they have. I must admit that I chose the shoes that match my outfits so I have 8 pairs of shoes that I currently use.

Let's see if I can remember how to post photos.

Sunny afternoon near where I live. It was about 2 PM and that is not cloud cover but smoke.
https://imgur.com/sbjbkp3

This one was from my friends place and it kind of shows how bad it has been recently.
https://imgur.com/HOb5OUU

6,000 ft is pretty high up. How long does it take to get up there. Are you into trail running? I'm envious of where you live and would love to see some photos on one of your runs one day Julie. I run the same boring courses at 5AM in the morning so I am pretty jealous of you.

Do you run for fun, or do you get into doing events?

Kiwi
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:05 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:Sunny afternoon near where I live. It was about 2 PM and that is not cloud cover but smoke.
https://imgur.com/sbjbkp3

This one was from my friends place and it kind of shows how bad it has been recently.
https://imgur.com/HOb5OUU

Ugh. I felt my lungs constrict just looking at those photos!!!

When we have fires here, at first I think things like "what a pretty red sunset." :) Then it starts looking like you live on Mars or something. :shock: Too much orange/red haze instead of a blue sky, not being able to see in the distance, and the acrid stuff that goes in your lungs....yuck! Sometimes I can even taste it. Do you wear an N-95 face mask to go to work, go shopping, etc ?

It only takes me about 15 min to get up in the mountains from where I live. 6,000 feet is a nice height in the summer. (However, in the winter, there is thigh-high snow, so snowshoeing is the exercise of the day!). 6,000 is high enough to get out of the smoke, but not so high that you feel winded from a hard run like at 9,000-10,000 feet.

kiwiinoz wrote: Are you kidding me about the shoes? I have tones of Asics. I have to be diligent in chucking out the old ones as I run out of room. I use Kayano for my long runs at the moment and for intervals I use DS Trainers. I have GT2000 for my recovery runs and I have a few pairs of Noosas as I love the funky colours they have. I must admit that I chose the shoes that match my outfits so I have 8 pairs of shoes that I currently use.

Ooooh.... I need to see your shoe collection! :D I used to wear Asics, but I get a Nike discount for being a competitive runner so that's been my brand of choice for the past two years. Before that, it was Brooks and Asics all the way! I have bony feet with a high arch so I need a bit of padding, but I also need soles that can handle rough trails with stones, gravel, twigs, etc. Nike's Air Zoom Wildhorse 5 are my current favorite.

Here's to a good run tomorrow morning for both of us!
Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi Julie
I just logged back on and noticed you are a competitive runner. What sort of running do you do? What do you focus on?
What sort of training plans do you use? Do you have a running coach, or do it yourself?
Garmin, Suunto?
I have lots of questions. Run solo, groups?
2019 was not a good year for me and running, life really, really got in the way. I got a little jaded so need to do something to get my mojo back in 2020.
Kiwi
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
Port Out 26 March 2015

juliej

Postby juliej » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:19 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:Hi Julie
I just logged back on and noticed you are a competitive runner. What sort of running do you do? What do you focus on?
What sort of training plans do you use? Do you have a running coach, or do it yourself?
Garmin, Suunto?
I have lots of questions. Run solo, groups?
2019 was not a good year for me and running, life really, really got in the way. I got a little jaded so need to do something to get my mojo back in 2020.
Kiwi

Hi, Kiwi!

I completed 3 marathons and 4 half-marathons in 2019. My goal for marathons is sub-2:55 and I managed it on two of them (2:53 and 2:49). But the third one was pure hell. My pacing was off and I ran too hard in the first half. Then got passed in the final stretch, with no gas in the tank to give chase. :( Plus it was really hot. At mile 24 they handed out bags of ice and of course, I stuffed it down my sports bra! :D

What I really love is trail running though. It's not as fast and it's at high altitude, which pushes my heck out of my resected lungs, but it's such a great feeling. I find that I check my Garmin a lot during regular races -- always concerned about pace -- but when I run in the mountains I just concentrate on the pure joy of moving my body.

I'm thinking about doing an ultra (50 miles) this year, but I'm not sure yet. Running for 8+ hours sounds challenging.

What's on your goal list for this year?

Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:00 pm

HI Julie

I run with Mrs Kiwi and I guess it depends a bit on what she wants to do this year. We did 3 marathons last year, Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland. Sydney & Auckland are fun as you run over the car only bridge (which they close to cars of course) at the start of the run so that keeps you going. I'll make no excuses but you are fast. My best last year was 3.07, which I thought was fast for an old fart at 46 for me but you are blazing.

I really want to do Queenstown in NZ https://queenstown-marathon.co.nz/ which is world famous (In NZ I think) but it is fairly accessible and it is a beautiful course. Perhaps not a true trail run but I'm keen.
Ultras, not sure this one is close to me (about 90 minutes drive away) https://www.ultratrailaustralia.com.au/ but I am unsure about an ultra. I need something to give me a reason to do it as it is big commitment.

I have an old Suunto, about 6 years old, which is good but I'm thinking of a garmin or a new Suunto as I want to have a heart rate monitor that is on the watch instead of the strap on ones.

What do you do for nutrition? I'm using Gu Gels and waffles, always looking for new things as I only do decaf which limits me a lot.

Send a photo of your trail run next time, minus the cougars of course!

Kiwi
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
Port Out 26 March 2015

WarriorSpouse

Postby WarriorSpouse » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:58 am

I always love to read these:) Congratulations and thank you for sharing the great news!
WS
D/H 47 years old, 10/2014, Stage IV M/CRC, nodes 12/15, para-aortic, 5 cm sigmoid resection, positive Virchow. KRAS mut, MSS, Highly Differentiated, Lynch Neg, 5FU/LV and Avastin 1 YR (Oxi for 5 months), Zeloda/Bev since 01/2016. 02/2019 recurrence para-nodes, back to 5FU/LV Oxy/Bev. It is working again. "...Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other."-Walter Elliot

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”