Fluid in Pelvis / PET,CT,Colonoscopy questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maelleous

Fluid in Pelvis / PET,CT,Colonoscopy questions

Postby Maelleous » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 am

Hi all,

I posted a few weeks ago that something popped up on my CT (nodule in presacral area). I was super worried, they scheduled a PET scan, doc put me on Tumor Board (I go to Cleveland Clinic in Florida). Dr messaged me on their app that the PET scan was all clear! HURRAY!

However, at today's follow up appt he didn't seem quiet as care-free. I have a CT scan scheduled for 3 months from now. Said during the tumor board meeting that fluid was detected in the pelvis and they aren't quite sure what would be causing it. They said it is more common in women, but less common in men and want to check it.

I am due for a colonoscopy (2 years since last one) to follow up. This was my 3 year CT scans being NED. Anyone have anything similar? What do you think would cause this? He said it could just be some inflammation or a complication from one of my old surgeries.

Also I was of the impression that they could detect tumors with CT+PET? I know smaller ones they can't always, so a little more nervous for my colonoscopy than I was originally. Thanks.
M 35 yr
DX Rectal Cancer, 10/16 (symptoms Feb 2016)
Dx stage 2 - Surgery Oct 25 201 Loop ileo w/ j-pouch
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
S-ICD installed / Port Removed
Vaccine Clinical trial at UPMC - last shot June 2017
Reversal 8/1/17 - Praying this is it!
Still NED

stu

Re: Fluid in Pelvis / PET,CT,Colonoscopy questions

Postby stu » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:59 pm

My mum has had a few pockets of fluid from her surgery back in 2010 . They keep showing up . Just a post surgery complication for her . They did keep an eye on it but now just expect to see it .
She was on diuretics straight after her surgery but has had to remain on them .
Take care ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Maelleous

Postby Maelleous » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:04 pm

Thanks for the response stu, kinda weird it is 3 years later, well I guess 2 years since my reversal, so maybe not that long. Thanks for helping ease my mind some.
M 35 yr
DX Rectal Cancer, 10/16 (symptoms Feb 2016)
Dx stage 2 - Surgery Oct 25 201 Loop ileo w/ j-pouch
Close margins within 1mm
9/38 lymph nodes involved on path / Stg IIIc,pT4, pN2 B, p.M0. MSS, K‐ras, NRAS, no mutation
Started Folfox - 3rd Treament, Dec 30th 2016 Cardiac Arrest - Lucky to be part of the 6% to survive!
S-ICD installed / Port Removed
Vaccine Clinical trial at UPMC - last shot June 2017
Reversal 8/1/17 - Praying this is it!
Still NED

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi Maellous, I had a fluid collection in my abdomen some time after my liver resection; the surgeon was a bit surprised (given I’m young/active and there were no complications), but his suggestion was to give it time and walk a lot, and it resolved itself thankfully. I suspect things like this probably happen more than we think, just most folk aren’t being scanned all the time :-)

Indeed as you say PET-CT does have a minimum resolution size (around 4-6mm, I believe), which is a bit bigger than CT I believe (3-4mm) as the power is higher in the latter case. However there are also areas that don’t image very well on PET-CT or CT; particularly the peritoneum and rectum. For these an MRI can sometimes show more, or ideally a scope (laparoscopy or colonoscopy, respectively).

Best wishes for the scope,
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met