HIPEC info

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Mommalisa
Facebook Username: Lisa Johnson Collier

HIPEC info

Postby Mommalisa » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:11 pm

Hello all! I am new to this group and seeking information. My 29 year old son recently ( 3weeks post op) had right hemicolectomy and HIPEC for CRC/Lynch syndrome. He is struggling with appetite. Has lost about 25 lbs and was thin to begin with. Has anyone had success with medicinal marijuana? He is hesitant. He has tried Marinol. It just makes him sleepy. When can we expect appetite to begin to return? Any other suggestions? Still has bouts with vomiting....not really nauseous, says food just won’t settle. Thanks for any info or suggestions.
Last edited by Mommalisa on Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

stu

Re: HIPEC info

Postby stu » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 am

My mum has not had Heptic but has had 75% of her liver removed and her appetite was severely reduced for quite a while . Around three months there was a leap forward and fully recovered by six months but I don’t think you can underestimate what a hit it is for some people’s bodies .
Small but often was how I managed it . Small plates full of goodness but bite size . Anything else made her turn her head away . The weight took a while to come back on which surprised me . Easier to lose it than gain it but it did eventually come back . I worried about the weight aspect too .
But she got there .
I wish him all the best .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Rock_Robster

Re: HIPEC info

Postby Rock_Robster » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:30 am

I also haven’t had HIPEC but my appetite is greatly helped by THC products, even during chemo. Hence I’d definitely give medical marijuana a go, or even better if you can get some THC/CBD (full spectrum) oil (safer and easy to control dosing, with fewer undesirable side effects). 2-3 drops about an hour or so before dinner and I can actually eat a proper meal, which is a big change from before.

Also if he’s not already taking zofran (ondansetron), this can be helpful to relieve any nausea that might be in the way of his appetite.

Good luck,
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met