Surgery Pathology Report

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
MistyBlu

Surgery Pathology Report

Postby MistyBlu » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:57 am

Doing well after right hemicolectomy on 9/4. Still sore. Met with the surgeon yesterday and received the pathology report. He said stage 2. No lymph nodes and although it went through the walls he cut it out. He also said I have no genetic markers. That was new. I'm not 100% sure what the relevance of that is...I still got it. Anyway, I'm seeing the oncologist today. This is the visit that counts. What will I do? I'm going to hear his suggestions and no matter what I've had a case open at MSK where I will be getting a second opinion. They've been calling me and following up too. Making sure they have all the paperwork. So this is the last piece. All the reading I've been doing I still don't feel prepared to have this conversation. All these numbers and letters. My son has a heart condition and I've been studying cardiology for 12 years now. I'm pretty versed now and can talk to the doctors like an informed patient (even though I'm not the patient) Now I have to learn cancer. Just feels like too much. Just venting. It's here so I don't really have a choice right.

I'm going to ask the oncologist to go over all of this with me. I found this pathology report pretty vague. So I'm guessing all the info that most of you have is because you've read up and know the right questions to ask. Which I don't. Anybody have any comments or suggestions.

Patholgy Report
Fibrous obligation of the appendix
Unremarkable small bowel, ileocecal valve and remaining colon.
Margins of resection are negative, adenocarcinoma is 1.3cm from the mesenteric margin

MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2 – Intact nuclear expression
F, 49 at DX, Stage IIA
9/4/19 Right Hemicolectomy
PT3NOMO- Grade 2
Xeloda - 1,650mg (Oct19-May20)
CEA 10/22/2019 - 1.2ng/ml

CF_69

Re: Surgery Pathology Report

Postby CF_69 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:22 pm

Looks like good news to me.

Congratulations on your successful surgery.
47 at diagnosis
Rectosigmoid junction
Adenocarcinoma
2.8 x 1.8 x 3.5 cm
G2
T3N0M0
CEA:
December 2018 - 1.9
September 2019 - 2.5
March 2020 - 2.3
September 2020 - 2.5
Xeloda / radiation x 25
Laparoscopic LAR April 2019
0 of 12 nodes
Stage 2A
4 cycles of adjuvant Xeloda
MRI on liver for 2mm hypodensity not suspicious.
Clear CT - September 2019
Clear CT - October 2020

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:25 pm

When I have a paper or report that I don't understand, I ask my son to read and tell me what it means or search here because most of these terms have been used by someone here.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Good luck with your meeting with the oncologist today. I would definitely press for having full disclosure of your pathology risk factors and a complete pathology report.

The report that the surgeon gave you is incomplete. It doesn't have all of the pathology data item mandated by the College of American Pathologists for colorectal cancer specimens. (See quote below for details.)

I'm glad you are getting a second opinion from MSKCC. I would think that MSKCC will do a much better job of creating a CAP-compliant path report than ORMC.

Since you are staged as Stage II, your oncologist will need all of your risk factor data items in order to determine what adjuvant therapy is needed, if any.

Jacques wrote:If you are in the U.S. and are interested in which data elements are required in a colon resection pathology report, you can go to the College of American Pathologists (CAP) web site, and download their 2016 template for Colon and Rectum pathology, which is found in a file named cp-colon-16protocol-3400.

Click on the link below to go to the CAP Cancer Protocol Templates page where all of their pathology templates are listed then scroll down to the ‘Gastrointestinal’ section

http://www.cap.org/web/oracle/webcenter/portalapp/pagehierarchy/cancer_protocol_templates.jspx?_afrLoop=13281812409078#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D13281812409078%26_adf.ctrl-state%3Dtxucf3q0j_4

After you access this part of the web page, you will find two downloadable versions available for the 2016 template for the Colon and Rectum pathology report -- a PDF version and a Word version.

These documents indicate the required data elements for pathology reporting of colon and rectum specimens. Optional (non-required) elements are indicated by a plus sign (+). The elements without a plus sign are required. There are over a dozen required elements for a colon resection report.

According to CAP, the required elements in the template have been mandated by the American College of Surgeons since 2004:

Indeed, effective January 1, 2004, the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons mandated the use of the required data elements of the protocols as part of its Cancer Program Standards for Approved Cancer Programs

If you look through the document that you download, you can see which elements are required and which elements are optional. Note: MSI testing is one of the optional data elements, so it will not be in your report unless the surgeon specifically requested it when the specimen was submitted. But the main required data elements should all have been reported on in the report, even if only to say something like “Cannot be determined”. This is part of the 2004 mandate, as I understand it.

When you talk to your doctor about the OncotypeDX results, you might want to bring up the issue of the completeness of the pathology report. You might also want to ask about the procedure for obtaining a second opinion on the current pathology report. There are several pathology labs around the country that will do a second opinion, for a fee. The question is whether they need to see the whole original specimen, or can they give an opinion with only the summary slides that have already been prepared. I don't know what the procedure is for pathology report second opinions for resected colon specimens.

- - -

Note: If you get a second opinion from one of the National Cancer Institute Designated Centers, you might get a pathology report that exceeds the CAP standard in rigor and detail. For example, the Stanford Cancer Center has an in-house, default colon/rectum pathology report template that is much more elaborate than the CAP standard:

http://surgpathcriteria.stanford.edu/gitumors/colorectal-adenocarcinoma/printable.html

Reminder: In any event, I think you should request, explicitly, to have your tumor specimen tested for MSI, because if it turns out that your tumor is MSI-H, then this has implications for whether certain first-line chemo options will be of much use:
    ... Importantly, treatment recommendations differ for patients with MSI-high tumors. Studies have shown that patients with stage II disease do not benefit from adjuvant chemotherapy with fluorouracil (5-FU), in part because patients with MSI-high colorectal tumors tend to have an overall favorable prognosis compared with patients who have MSI-low or microsatellite stable (MSS) tumors. In fact, patients with MSI-high stage II disease actually have inferior overall survival (OS) outcomes when treated with adjuvant 5-FU compared with surgery alone.[21]

Ref. [21] Sargent DJ, Marsoni S, Monges G, et al. Defective mismatch repair as a predictive marker for lack of efficacy of fluorouracil-based adjuvant therapy in colon cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:3219-26.

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:22 pm

MLH1, MSH2, MSH6, PMS2 – Intact nuclear expression

That these 4 genes have "intact expression" means that you are what is known as p[roficient]MMR, as the DNA repair function is working properly. You don't have to worry about possible Lynch Syndrome, and are probably MSS, which means "micro satellite stable," which means that your tumor does not freely mutate. This means that at this point in available research, you are not a likely candidate for immunotherapy.

If I were you I would ask about your KRAS and BRAF status; that is, whether those genes are mutated. CEA also. I would expect those to be on the pathology report if they tested the MMR genes. I would also want to know my tumor's TNM and staging. I'd be surprised if those weren't on the pathology report.

Tumor invades through the muscularis propria into the perocoliclic adipose tissue.

There's a typo here: it should be "pericolicic." This refers to the fat surrounding the colon, which includes fat around the mesentery. That's probably why they note that the margin of the tumor is 1.3 centimeters away from the mesentery. That's good. :) Negative margins are good. :)

As a note, these reports are usually dictated to voice recognition software, which can come up with some pretty strange stuff. Mine said that my tumor was in the "paddock" flexure. It took me quite a while to realize that it meant hepatic, not paddock. I kept looking at diagrams and googling and being totally puzzled.

Speaking of typos, apparently it is "obliteration," not obligation, of the appendix. Never heard that one before.

I think you need to do some googling around factors indicating whether to do adjuvant chemo in Stage II CRC. Then you'll be prepared for a meeting with the oncologist. Like this:

https://ascopubs.org/doi/full/10.1200/JOP.2016.017210
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:55 am

That's wonderful news! :) I hope your meeting with the oncologist went well!*hugs* I was diagnosed as stage 2a in 2014. Chemo wasn't recommended and I have been in remission(NED) since surgery. I have a colonoscopy Monday and my 5 years can will be this year.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

MistyBlu

Postby MistyBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 am

My meeting with the oncologist was not bad. He explained everything and said to come back in one week to tell him which option I choose. This is based on the fact that some of the cancer cells may have escaped and got into the liver. I have the following options:

#1 – Do Nothing. He says out of 100 people in my situation, 65 are cured and 35 have a reoccurrence.
#2 – Take Xeloda for 6 months 21 days on and 7 days off I believe.
#3 – Take a combination of Xeloda/Oxaliplatin for three months

Based on my condition he said he is not offering FolFox because that’s for more serious conditions and is not warranted in this situation.

Here’s my diagnosis as best I can summarize,
PT3NO, No obstruction, No Perforation, 0/19 lymph nodes negative, LVI and PNI negative. And lastly, I’m poorly differentiated.The ONC says I’m in a gray area. I’m still planning to get a second opinion at MSK in the next week or so. I’m leaning right now towards Option #2. (Option #1 is out.) And I read that Oxaliplatin for advanced cancer. I don’t do well on anti-nausea which is part of this treatment and if I can’t be certain that it has an advantage I’d rather not.
F, 49 at DX, Stage IIA
PT3NOMO- Grade 2

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:42 am

MistyBlu wrote:My meeting with the oncologist was not bad. He explained everything and said to come back in one week to tell him which option I choose. This is based on the fact that some of the cancer cells may have escaped and got into the liver. I have the following options:

#1 – Do Nothing. He says out of 100 people in my situation, 65 are cured and 35 have a reoccurrence.
#2 – Take Xeloda for 6 months 21 days on and 7 days off I believe.
#3 – Take a combination of Xeloda/Oxaliplatin for three months

Based on my condition he said he is not offering FolFox because that’s for more serious conditions and is not warranted in this situation.

Here’s my diagnosis as best I can summarize,
PT3NO, No obstruction, No Perforation, 0/19 lymph nodes negative, LVI and PNI negative. And lastly, I’m poorly differentiated.The ONC says I’m in a gray area. I’m still planning to get a second opinion at MSK in the next week or so. I’m leaning right now towards Option #2. (Option #1 is out.) And I read that Oxaliplatin for advanced cancer. I don’t do well on anti-nausea which is part of this treatment and if I can’t be certain that it has an advantage I’d rather not.

The stats on #1 are pretty stark. 21 days on and 7 days off is no picnic unless the dosage is relatively light. I've never heard of that protocol before so maybe it's a new one. I had 6 months, 14 days on and 7 days off and that was manageable (also had Oxaliplatin - it would have been far easier without the Oxaliplatin). Perhaps you could check on the schedule - it might be 14 days on and 7 days off.

Oxaliplatin is rough, especially if you live in a colder area and you're going to be taking it in the winter. You can also get permanent side=effects though you'd only be doing it for three months. Just taking the Xeloda pills is a lot more convenient. You don't need to get and maintain a port, don't need to schedule infusions and go through them and don't need to do the funny little things that people getting infusions do to deal with the side-effects. You also don't risk permanent neuropathy. You also don't have this one-inch scar on your upper chest.

If I were in your shoes, I definitely wouldn't pick #1. I think that I would go with 2 - but I've been through six-months of #3 and know what that's like. It seems like the way that it was presented was in ascending order of protection.
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 am

Maybe I’m missing something here and someone can correct me. My understanding is T3N0 is Stage IIa, and in this case without any of the NCCN-recognised high risk factors. Firstly I didn’t think recurrence rates were anywhere near 35% for IIa (more like 10-12%), and secondly that adjuvant chemo was not normally standard of care for this case per NCCN guidelines. So even doing the Xeloda would be an additional step beyond SoC, let alone considering oxaliplatin. This doesn’t sound like such a “grey area” to me.

The only risk factor you don’t mention is Extramural Vascular Invasion (EMVI) which should be positive or negative - what was this on the pathology report? (Should be reported alongside LVI and PNI).

Again please correct me if I’ve missed something here?

Also just for clarity, you say he “is not offering FOLFOX because that’s for more serious conditions”, but oxaliplatin + Xeloda is an option. This is effectively the same thing (known as CAPOX or XELOX), it just delivers the 5FU via an oral prodrug form. If anything I believe most people find side effects greater from CAPOX over FOLFOX (although there are other conveniences from the oral from).

Like the others I too am glad you’re speaking to MSK.

Cheers
Rob
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

MistyBlu

Postby MistyBlu » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:47 am

NHMIKe[b][/b] says:
]Oxaliplatin is rough, especially if you live in a colder area and you're going to be taking it in the winter. You can also get permanent side=effects though you'd only be doing it for three months.

Thanks, NHMike, the ONC says, the three-month treatment is set right under the time that people are known to start getting Neuropathy. Also, in Zack's post ypu said your hand and foot was permanent. Wondering about that because I would be doing six months. Do you still have active outbreaks on your hand?

[b]Robster[/b] says:
Maybe I’m missing something here and someone can correct me. My understanding is T3N0 is Stage IIa, and in this case without any of the NCCN-recognised high-risk factors. Firstly I didn’t think recurrence rates were anywhere near 35% for IIa (more like 10-12%), and secondly, that adjuvant chemo was not normally standard of care for this case per NCCN guidelines. So even doing the Xeloda would be an additional step beyond SoC, let alone considering oxaliplatin. This doesn’t sound like such a “grey area” to me

Robster, thanks for your comments. I'm confused on the staging too. The surgeon told me stage II but then the ONC said 3? Maybe he's being more aggressive. IDK. I could be wrong on the 21 days as NHMike says. The grey area was close to 50/50 of a reoccurrence I guess based on his stats. I have to look into the meds again. Since Folfox was off the table I didn't even look at it.

btw, can someone tell me how to put a persons quote in my response??????
F, 49 at DX, Stage IIA
PT3NOMO- Grade 2

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:08 am

I have hand and foot in my hands. But it is very mild. It is a bit worse in cold weather but it doesn’t stop me from doing what I did before diagnosis. I still play tennis, spend a lot of time typing and I can deadlift 225 pounds. The fingers are the weakest link in the deadlift as that’s usually the limiting factor in how much you can do and for how many reps.

I had two weeks on and one week off and it would take longer and longer to go away until it didn’t go away. Dropping the dosage probably would have meant that it wasn’t permanent. It was just hard figuring out where that point was.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:41 pm

Wow, I didn't realize that hand/foot could be permanent.

Sounds like its a really good thing that you have the MSK consult scheduled. More clarity would help.
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:37 pm

boxhill wrote:Wow, I didn't realize that hand/foot could be permanent.

Sounds like its a really good thing that you have the MSK consult scheduled. More clarity would help.

I've had it for 15 months so I'm considering it permanent. Of course if it goes away in the next year, two, five or ten, I'll get to change my mind.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:01 pm

NHMike wrote:I have hand and foot in my hands. But it is very mild. It is a bit worse in cold weather but it doesn’t stop me from doing what I did before diagnosis

Hi Mike, sorry to hear you’re still dealing with this. Just to check - you definitely mean hand & foot syndrome, not neuropathy?
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Rock_Robster wrote:
NHMike wrote:I have hand and foot in my hands. But it is very mild. It is a bit worse in cold weather but it doesn’t stop me from doing what I did before diagnosis

Hi Mike, sorry to hear you’re still dealing with this. Just to check - you definitely mean hand & foot syndrome, not neuropathy?

Yup. I have neuropathy in my toes and it's a different feeling. I could tell the difference because of when they went away. The oxaliplatin side-effects started to go away after the infusion while the Xeloda side effects started to go away in the break week.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”