Tailgate Party @ BS's!!...Menu=SUPREP, Juice & CANDY!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
bitchslapped

Tailgate Party @ BS's!!...Menu=SUPREP, Juice & CANDY!

Postby bitchslapped » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Where's that grandson of mine when you need him?! gummy bears :?: seriously :?: :!: :lol: :mrgreen:

Yep, colonoscopy #4 coming right up. Generally speaking, we're all one colonoscopy away from a possible cancer diagnosis.

First one age 50, precancerous-infected polyp + garden variety polyps. I was one of the lucky ones...symptomatic. Sudden onset of bloating, distended belly, chills, sweats, passed blood..ALL AT ONCE!
Scope #2 6 years later only b/c I was caregiver to my DM & really difficult to get away. Polyps removed w/that one. 3 years later had #3; clear this time. Now another 6 years later. We'll see next Wed. Not taking bets on this one. Passed blood in March.

Never had SUPREP or 2 1/2 day fast before a colonoscopy & not particularly looking forward to it from what I read on here about it. I'm older now, but that ONE daily fiber pill puts me in the chronically constipated category. And since all supplements must be d/c'd 7 days prior, that little capsule went away. So I asked the question: "If I drank prune juice, ate prunes, bran, flaxseed etc., daily, rather than just take a pill, would I then be considered chronically constiatped? Reply: " ". That's right; silence...for a moment. The capsules are problematic.
So as I sit here eating prunes, drinking PlumSmart (yes, Ms. Nurse, that one fiber pill does make a difference), thought I'd babble on a bit about this "news-to-BS"-prep & diet.

Menu:
Ensure Clear (therapeutic nutrition), Apple flavor. Purchased @ Walgreens. The pharmacist wasn't even aware of it, but the pharmacy clerk was! Yay! :shock: Regular grocery store carried Ensure Clear (not therapeutic) in blueberry/pomegranite, but, can't have purple or red during fast. Guess what? I told the nurse where to get it. She was glad to know. People helping people; that's what we do here (most of the time :wink:).
Powerade Zero
100% white grape juice
Gummy bears (orange flavor). Ok I may want to chew on a little something.
Butterscotch hard candies
Round ball suckers in green apple, pina colada, blueberries & cream.

So I'm told they want patients to have sugar, even diabetics (which I am not...as of today, that is). :P

Ok. ok I didn't need to pick up the Good & Plenty's & candy corn from my childhood memories, but that's pre-fasting menu :shock: :lol: Oh & WHITE bread. What a diet! No seeds, nuts, whole grains 7 days before procedure. That's new. Believe it used to be 3 or 4 days prior.

I may be the person that gains weight while on a 2 1/2 day fasting diet :arrow: crazy :arrow: :mrgreen:
I'm hungry already. :mrgreen:

BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

Jacques

Re: Tailgate Party @ BS's!!...Menu=SUPREP, Juice & CANDY!

Postby Jacques » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Awesome!

So, what is the venue of this tailgate party? Will it be in your driveway by any chance? And who's invited to this auspicious event?

And what about gate-crashers?

Will CRguy be there? And are campers allowed in your driveway? ... Lots of unanswered questions ...

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:54 am

female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:54 pm

OK...two enthusiastic RSVP(ers) so far. I may have to up the ante a bit. After all, gummy bear candy is not a big draw...I get it; not my favorite either. The nurse & receptionists act as if gummy bears are a BIG DEAL.
I think we need to SPIKE the PUNCH (SUPREP) to make it a little more enticing. Beer, white wine, tequila, whiskey, vodka, peppermint schnapps, rum, kahlua (got everything but beer & vodka). Just no purple or red.

As I sit here sipping & nibbling on my morning "Happy Hour" cocktail (more plum juice & prunes) I will try to address your questions, Jacques. But be warned: everyone will need to be a card-carrying member of The Colon Club, pinned to your shirts, signature & moniker included, to be allowed through the gates of this exclusive tailgate party. :mrgreen:

Everyone is invited, Mods & gate-crashers included (not necessarily synonymous hehehe). Need a new gate anyway. The more the merrier as I suspect conversations will be intermittent. :shock:
RV's, campers welcome, however reserving the RV pad (where my rolling garden is) for the refreshments, music & the "happy dance". Gates will be OPEN for that mad rush down the driveway to the Portable "honey pot" outhouses lining the house side of the street. Other side of driveway will be available + parking up, down, across the street.

The only caveat @ this point is the hose blew out on the pressure washer in July & I have not yet replaced it. (need to get on that) :lol: :mrgreen:

Expecting a HUGE turnout for this 'end of summer' party :!: :shock: :P :lol:
Don't disappoint me now. :wink:

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Did someone say tailgate? I'm N.

MSS
currently NED

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:19 pm

Peanut, YOU are cracking me up today :lol:

AND...looks like you got your new BABY!!! Yahya!!

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

peanut_8

Postby peanut_8 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:21 pm

That's Ms. Scarlett. Tried to get a pic of her in her Huskers scrunchie, but she has trouble sitting still. Part chupacabra most likely.
MSS
currently NED

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:13 pm

[quote="bitchslapped"]Where's that grandson of mine when you need him?! gummy bears :?: seriously :?: :!: :lol: :mrgreen:

Yep, colonoscopy #4 coming right up. Generally speaking, we're all one colonoscopy away from a possible cancer diagnosis.

First one age 50, precancerous-infected polyp + garden variety polyps. I was one of the lucky ones...symptomatic. Sudden onset of bloating, distended belly, chills, sweats, passed blood..ALL AT ONCE!
Scope #2 6 years later only b/c I was caregiver to my DM & really difficult to get away. Polyps removed w/that one. 3 years later had #3; clear this time. Now another 6 years later. We'll see next Wed. Not taking bets on this one. Passed blood in March.

Never had SUPREP or 2 1/2 day fast before a colonoscopy & not particularly looking forward to it from what I read on here about it. I'm older now, but that ONE daily fiber pill puts me in the chronically constipated category. And since all supplements must be d/c'd 7 days prior, that little capsule went away. So I asked the question: "If I drank prune juice, ate prunes, bran, flaxseed etc., daily, rather than just take a pill, would I then be considered chronically constiatped? Reply: " ". That's right; silence...for a moment. The capsules are problematic.
So as I sit here eating prunes, drinking PlumSmart (yes, Ms. Nurse, that one fiber pill does make a difference), thought I'd babble on a bit about this "news-to-BS"-prep & diet.

Menu:
Ensure Clear (therapeutic nutrition), Apple flavor. Purchased @ Walgreens. The pharmacist wasn't even aware of it, but the pharmacy clerk was! Yay! :shock: Regular grocery store carried Ensure Clear (not therapeutic) in blueberry/pomegranite, but, can't have purple or red during fast. Guess what? I told the nurse where to get it. She was glad to know. People helping people; that's what we do here (most of the time :wink:).
Powerade Zero
100% white grape juice
Gummy bears (orange flavor). Ok I may want to chew on a little something.
Butterscotch hard candies
Round ball suckers in green apple, pina colada, blueberries & cream.

So I'm told they want patients to have sugar, even diabetics (which I am not...as of today, that is). :P

Ok. ok I didn't need to pick up the Good & Plenty's & candy corn from my childhood memories, but that's pre-fasting menu :shock: :lol: Oh & WHITE bread. What a diet! No seeds, nuts, whole grains 7 days before procedure. That's new. Believe it used to be 3 or 4 days prior.

I may be the person that gains weight while on a 2 1/2 day fasting diet :arrow: crazy :arrow: :mrgreen:
I'm hungry already. :mr green
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:06 pm

What's that Michael? Nice to see you on forum.

So, nobody showed up to the tailagte party which is a good thing, seeing as how I missed in the instructions in all caps: "ABSOLUTELY NO ALCOHOL". :roll: Not a problem for me anyway.

MY IMPRESSION OF SUPREP:
My first time w/SUPREP :arrow: Not bad IMO. Used a straw, mixed w/Lemon Crystal Light, gulped it down fast w/o breathing so was ok. But from what I could taste = still not awfully bad. Doc said was one of the more patient-preferred preps which goes against what I have read on here.

TIPS:
Went through a LOT of cottonballs that I dipped in Bag Balm (imagine Vaseline or the like would do as well) & applied to anus after blotting w/toilet paper (NO wiping). Absolutely no rawness, no mess, no hemorrhoid bleeding or discomfort & I have both internal & external hemorrhoids.

THIS N THAT:
Most challenging for me was the 2-day fast & lack of nutrition which basically consisted of sugar, salt, however Ensure Clear Therapeutic has 8 grams of protein but lots of sugar. Apple flavor I thought was good. Bone broth had 10 grams of protein, but honestly was FLAT; had to add a bullion cube to that & still a bit flat tasting. What I really wanted was one of my garden-fresh cucumbers!
Even though jello, bone broth, Ensure, gummy bears & hard candies are allowed, it still seemed a bit of a challenge, looking a bit haggard.
All & all a small price to pay w/hopefully big dividends in avoiding a possible cancer diagnosis or catching cancer as early as possible...
Always exceptions of course as in my DH's case. Colonoscopy @ age 40, ST IV @ 47.

WHAT'S NEW:
There are studies for a new edible colonoscopy prep apparently in Phase 3 trials, though can't imagine what they might taste like:
https://www.beckersasc.com/gastroentero ... ights.html
https://sebelapharma.com/pipeline/
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/stu ... =2&rank=18

RESULTS:
Did have a couple of small polyps in descending colon (5 & 7mm); pathology not back yet. Significant looping of the colon, diverticulosis sigmoid, descending colon, internal non-bleeding-sizable hemorrhoids, most likely cause of passing blood in March. Doc says may need to address that w/colorectal surgeon; I'm hoping NOT.
So, not the healthiest colon I would say. Looks like next colonoscopy 5 years out.

Images of loopy (aka tortuous colon):

Hope this is followup report is somewhat helpful for a few of the folks "out there".

BS
P.S. Don't anticipate purchasing gummy bears any time soon.
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

stu

Postby stu » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi ,
Hope everything turns out ok for you . I read your thread with interest but we don’t get colonoscopies so I have nothing to bring to the table . :D . Did pass my Bowel screen though . It came through the post ten years to the day my mum was diagnosed as a stage 4 patient . It was a bit weird .
Hope your well . I will send you a wee email soon .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:09 pm

I am using suprep for the second time for my 3 year colonoscopy in October. My instructions only require fasting the day before when prepping. 2 1/2 days of fasting seems rough. I thought suprep was okay. It doesn't taste great but is less to drink. There are a couple newer ones (prepopik, clenpiq) that I think are even less and have had good reviews. My surgeon only allows suprep or golytely. So suprep it is. Not looking forward to the prep, but it is a small price to pay. Praying your pathology reports show nothing. Keep us updated.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:11 pm

Well, that party is over. Had one precancerous polyp out of two :( ; back in five years.

Agree w/you Susie; Suprep is very doable.

Anytime one passes a bowel screening, Stu, is a good thing!

Thanks for the well wishes ladies :)

BS
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Glad everything is okay. I get to get mine real soon. Suppose to be done by the end of the year, may put off to January.

Butt isn't it nice when it's in the rear view mirror.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”