CRC metastasis to lungs first?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jleefitness
Facebook Username: Jonathan Woon Lee

CRC metastasis to lungs first?

Postby Jleefitness » Tue May 03, 2016 8:19 am

Hi all

This is my very first post but been creeping around the forums for almost a year now. This site and it's members have supplied me with invaluable information and therefore I am very grateful. So without further ado, here is our story.

Diagnosed wife:

6/2/15: Total Colectomy Surgery
6/6/15: Final pathology report: Sigmoid primary colon cancer, 2/18 posting lymph nodes, moderately differentiated T4aN1bMx @28 years old
6/10/15: Genetics testing results showed she has Atypical Familial Adenomatous Polyposs (AFAP)
6/17/15: Second opinion at MD ANDERSON and treatment plan
7/2/15 - 1/16/16: 13 rounds of FOLFOX6
1/23/16: Clean CT, officially NED
4/28/16: 7mm nodule spotted on left medial lobe. Radiologist concerned for possible metastasis. Wants a CT schedule in 1 month to confirm...freaking out now.

So my question is what is the possibility that you get Mets to your lungs first before the liver? I've had everyone tell me to "it could be anything" to possible cancer. To just wait or go get a second opinion, to "its rare to go to the lungs first"etc. How many of you all have experienced this and got a false negative? Thank you all for helping.

Swimmer22

Re: CRC metastasis to lungs first?

Postby Swimmer22 » Tue May 03, 2016 12:03 pm

Colorectal cancer (CRC) when metastatic will frequently first present in the lung. This is due to the blood vessels in the rectum that also feed blood supply to the lungs. Cancer cells use this pathway to travel to the lungs. On the other hand, Colon cancer typically first presents metastases to the liver. This is not a 100% process; however, there is a significant difference between where colorectal and colon cancer first appear as metastatic disease. It's good your doctor is diligent in follow-up assessments. Single lung nodules are very treatable-- surgical removal is the gold standard in treating lung metastases. Whishing you the best!
12/10 - Rectal Cancer Stage IV
1/11 - Lung Met- VATS
3/11 - Folflox begin 6 tx.
7/11- 28 tx. chemoradiation
9/11 - LAR Surgery (Complete response to Chemo)
10/11- 12tx. of Folfiri Mop-up
7/12 - Ostomy reversed
NED since 9/1/11
3/13 -Port Removed

Outdoorsy

Postby Outdoorsy » Tue May 03, 2016 12:28 pm

That's not the typical path for colon cancer, rectal is more common to go directly to lungs but anything is possible. When my wife was diagnosed with mets to the liver she had 2 small spots that showed up in the lungs. It's been 5 years since the liver resection and the lung spots haven't changed, lots of stuff in the lungs is benign. I know it's very hard but try to not freak out, there will be lots of ups and downs, hopefully this is just a false alarm. Good luck.
Wife diagnosed stage IV Aug 11, Colon Resection Aug 11, 4 rounds FOLFOX, Liver Resection Dec 11, Finished FOLFOX, Currently NED

Jleefitness

Postby Jleefitness » Tue May 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Thank you for your prompt replies. The worst part about this is the waiting. Its terrible. Im trying to be as positive and optimistic as possible but I am scared and worried of course. I just don't understand how 3 months ago there was no nodule but in just 12 weeks they find a nodule thats 7mm already? Isn't that strangely fast?

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Tue May 03, 2016 5:53 pm

My colon cancer went to my lungs first...it even bypass my lymph nodes....that was three years ago and still NED.
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue May 03, 2016 7:43 pm

Jleefitness wrote:Thank you for your prompt replies. The worst part about this is the waiting. Its terrible. Im trying to be as positive and optimistic as possible but I am scared and worried of course. I just don't understand how 3 months ago there was no nodule but in just 12 weeks they find a nodule thats 7mm already? Isn't that strangely fast?

It does sound strange. All I can say is I hope they just didn't catch it for some reason until now and it's benign. Yes, many people have benign lung spots. I know how you feel. I have lung spots that 2 showed 2mm growth on last scan (no growth for over a yr prior on the 3 i knew of). Just had a combo PET/CT yesterday, have to wait until next Tuesday to see onc, very nerve wracking. Best wishes and hugs.

crazylife

Postby crazylife » Wed May 04, 2016 8:13 am

My husbands presented in the liver and lungs at the same time. I don't get it. I would've thought the liver would've filled with cancer before it moved to the lungs. But he only had 1 spot to liver (1.0 cm) and 1 spot to lung (8mm). He had a recto-sigmoid tumor so maybe that's why.
Wife to DH, 41 years old, diagnosed 11/15
Stage 4, Mod diff, 13/24 LN, 1 liver met
Colon/liver resection at MSK, 11/15
8mm lung met (not confirmed) and enlarged lymph nodes 1/16
12 rounds of folfox (9 with Oxi) 6/16
NED - July 2016
NED - October 2016
3 lung mets - March 2017
7 lung mets, May 2017
RFA to largest met, June 2017
Lung mets growing slowly, October 2017 (off treatment since June 2016)
Right lung surgery, November 2017
Left lung surgery, January 2018
NED - May 2018

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:21 am

It is possible. There are several people here with 'just' lung mets.

:(
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Jleefitness

Postby Jleefitness » Wed May 04, 2016 8:29 am

Doctors are saying waiting is the best option . They don't want to do a biopsy cause they said it might spread the cells if it was metastatic, it's too small for a PET scan and they don't want to resect it in case it is benign and they cut it for no reason. We were thinking about going to a thoracic radiologist for a second opnion but the onc said they were going to tell us to wait too. So me and my wife over here are freaking the F out everyday. We are trying to keep it normal but the reality of the fact is that we are ready for the worst possible scenario and preparing to have a plan if the scans came out bad. This sucks.

BBMOM

Treatment for metastasis to lung

Postby BBMOM » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:11 pm

My son was treated for Stage III rectal cancer with radiation, followed by surgery, followed by 12 rounds of chemo. He was NED for 14 months post the end of chemo, and 2 years post initial diagnosis. Then a single pulmonary nodule was found in his right middle lobe and was determined to be a metastasis from the rectal cancer. Due to the SPN's location, the entire lobe was removed He then received conflicting advice as to whether follow up chemo was necessary. A consultation at M.D. Anderson produced the opinion that he NOT get the chemo, but rather follow up every 3 months with CT scans. The M.D. Anderson opinion was based on the institution's experience that chemo was not helpful in preventing recurrence. It might delay recurrence, but whether it came back or not, was unaffected by post surgery chemo. He has followed this advice, and has had 2 clean scans. Has anyone in the Club followed this procedure, meaning, surgery to remove the lung nodule, WITHOUT follow up chemo?

crazylife

Postby crazylife » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:55 pm

Jleefitness wrote:Thank you for your prompt replies. The worst part about this is the waiting. Its terrible. Im trying to be as positive and optimistic as possible but I am scared and worried of course. I just don't understand how 3 months ago there was no nodule but in just 12 weeks they find a nodule thats 7mm already? Isn't that strangely fast?

7mm is very tiny. My husband had a 8mm pop up and disappear with chemo.
Wife to DH, 41 years old, diagnosed 11/15
Stage 4, Mod diff, 13/24 LN, 1 liver met
Colon/liver resection at MSK, 11/15
8mm lung met (not confirmed) and enlarged lymph nodes 1/16
12 rounds of folfox (9 with Oxi) 6/16
NED - July 2016
NED - October 2016
3 lung mets - March 2017
7 lung mets, May 2017
RFA to largest met, June 2017
Lung mets growing slowly, October 2017 (off treatment since June 2016)
Right lung surgery, November 2017
Left lung surgery, January 2018
NED - May 2018

stu

Postby stu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 am

Hi BBmom,
My mum did not have follow up chemo as it was a slow growing tumour, therefore chemo did not have a role to play.
Where we live they treat visible disease only but my mum is older and comfortable with this and gives her better quality of life. If it kept the cancer at bay for a significant period of time or the tumour grew quickly I would seek a second opinion.
I wish him the very best.
Kind regards
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

NedPlease

Postby NedPlease » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:43 am

I would (and did) consult with a thoracic surgeon to discuss options- specifically VATS. My single met was 7mm and was successfully removed via VATS just six months after I had completed chemo for liver metastasis.

My onc suggested biopsy first. Surgeon disagreed, as did a radiologist who is a personal friend. Onc said chemo before surgery. Surgeon disagreed wanting to do surgery as soon as possible. The tiny met lit up on a PET scan and pathology confirmed colon cancer. This was Nov 2011.

This particular surgeon is also a cancer researcher at Sloan Kettering so I had no trouble accepting his treatment plan- nor did my oncologist, despite her slightly different opinion.

There will be confusion regarding treatment approach. This annoyed me beyond belief at the time. All one can do is seek opinions, research and commit to a decision.

Again, I would have a thoracic surgeon weigh in on this. I like to know all my options before committing.

Best to you,
N
F-54- St 4- Ascend Colon, 2 Liver mets, Poorly dif, Mutant
6/10- Folfox
9/10- R Liver Resect/Colon/Gall/Appendix
11/10-3/11- Folfox
11/11- R Lung, 1 met, VATS
3/12- 9/12- Xeloda
2/12- 6/18 Clear Scans
6/19- first time no scan
Today- NED

skb

Postby skb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:10 pm

NedPlease,
After you had the lung met and VATS, you had Xeloda it seems for 6 months. Was it just oral pills?

I am waiting to get the verdict from my oncologist for the chemo following VATS

skb
3/21/17: Dx T3N0M0-mid rectal 4.5cm
4/18 to 5/22/17: chemoradiation- Xeloda and daily radiation (25 doses)
6/28/17: clean biopsy, clean scans
8/17: MRI - no evidence of tumor, no surgery, starts wait and watch
8/17 to 12/17: Folfox
8/19 VATS - 1cm lung nodule
7/17/21- Clean CT, CEA 15.6 !
8/24/21- PET , biopsy finds met along obturator lymph nodes
10/1/21- Surgery , 12 rounds of FOLFIRI -ended 4/22
4/15/22, 9/6/22. 1/20/23- Clean scan, normal CEA
10/23- four sub-centimeter lung nodules, all PET negative

skb

Re: Treatment for metastasis to lung

Postby skb » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:13 pm

BBMOM wrote:My son was treated for Stage III rectal cancer with radiation, followed by surgery, followed by 12 rounds of chemo. He was NED for 14 months post the end of chemo, and 2 years post initial diagnosis. Then a single pulmonary nodule was found in his right middle lobe and was determined to be a metastasis from the rectal cancer. Due to the SPN's location, the entire lobe was removed He then received conflicting advice as to whether follow up chemo was necessary. A consultation at M.D. Anderson produced the opinion that he NOT get the chemo, but rather follow up every 3 months with CT scans. The M.D. Anderson opinion was based on the institution's experience that chemo was not helpful in preventing recurrence. It might delay recurrence, but whether it came back or not, was unaffected by post surgery chemo. He has followed this advice, and has had 2 clean scans. Has anyone in the Club followed this procedure, meaning, surgery to remove the lung nodule, WITHOUT follow up chemo?

BBMOM,
I am waiting to get a verdict from my oncologist at Univ of Minn. on whether additional chemo is needed after the VATS to remove one lung nodule. I had consultation at Mayo recently and the person I met recommended more chemo.
3/21/17: Dx T3N0M0-mid rectal 4.5cm
4/18 to 5/22/17: chemoradiation- Xeloda and daily radiation (25 doses)
6/28/17: clean biopsy, clean scans
8/17: MRI - no evidence of tumor, no surgery, starts wait and watch
8/17 to 12/17: Folfox
8/19 VATS - 1cm lung nodule
7/17/21- Clean CT, CEA 15.6 !
8/24/21- PET , biopsy finds met along obturator lymph nodes
10/1/21- Surgery , 12 rounds of FOLFIRI -ended 4/22
4/15/22, 9/6/22. 1/20/23- Clean scan, normal CEA
10/23- four sub-centimeter lung nodules, all PET negative

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”