What are good encouragements?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
SilverWedding
Facebook Username: Cynthia Harding Marshall

What are good encouragements?

Postby SilverWedding » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:00 am

Based on what I learned here and warnings from doctors saying Chemoradiation could be pretty hard, I made a 28-day craft and hung it on the walk - my hubby turns over a numbered “card” daily to get an encouragement from me or our children. He’s not a sappy guy, but I have seen him rereading some (shhhhh!). Here’s a photo of one card from last night: https://ibb.co/zGZ4mc9

Besides getting the particular calming food, or tea, or even bottom balm, or organizing appointments and taking slow walks, what else would you appreciate? I do know that OBVIOUS answer :wink: , but what about anything else?
DH, 56, Sigmoid & rectum
Adenocarcinoma 2cm
 G2: Moderately differentiated
T3N2aM0
Stage IIIb
LN 6/22
5/19 Baseline CEA value - 18.9
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): present
Perineural invasion (PNI): not identified
Surgical margins: proximal -negative; distal - negative 1.5cm; circumferential - negative 1mm)
MSI status: Waiting‬
Lynch status: ?
KRAS/BRAF: ?
Open Restorative Proctectomy, J-Pouch Coloanal Anastomosis, Loop Ileo w/Appendectomy
Neo-adjuvant Xeloda/radiation
Adjuvant Chemo: to begin 11/19

stu

Re: What are good encouragements?

Postby stu » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:02 am

Watching my mum go through various treatments has required me to toughen. My mum describes me as stoic . In public at least ! I rarely shed a tear . However you just made me . That is beautiful .
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Rock_Robster

Postby Rock_Robster » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:24 am

The days of radiation kinda blend together, but for me it was nice to do something on Friday night so celebrate the end of another week - felt like a bigger milestone. Not to mention a 2 day break! So we’d usually either organise dinner with friends, or a movie, or something a bit fun to round out another week done. The first 1-2 weeks are usually pretty cruisey, but by week 3 I was looking forward to Friday!
41M Australia
2018 Dx RC
G2 EMVI LVI, 4 liver mets
pT3N1aM1a Stage IVa MSS NRAS G13R
CEA 14>2>32>16>19>30>140>70
11/18 FOLFOX
3/19 Liver resection
5/19 Pelvic IMRT
7/19 ULAR
8/19 Liver met
8/19 FOLFOX, FOLFOXIRI, FOLFIRI
12/19 Liver resection
NED 2 years
11/21 Liver met, PALN, lung nodules
3/22 PVE, lymphadenectomy, liver SBRT
10/22 PALN SBRT
11/22 Liver mets, peri nodule. Xeloda+Bev
4/23 XELIRI+Bev
9/23 ATRIUM trial
12/23 Modified FOLFIRI+Bev
3/24 VAXINIA (CF33 + hNIS) trial

SilverWedding
Facebook Username: Cynthia Harding Marshall

Postby SilverWedding » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:06 pm

stu wrote:Watching my mum go through various treatments has required me to toughen. My mum describes me as stoic . In public at least ! I rarely shed a tear . However you just made me . That is beautiful .
Stu

Awwwwwww, Stu. It is indeed hard to be a bystander. I’m somewhere between tough and heartbroken all the time. Sometimes I pretend nothing is wrong and try to lighten the mood. Sometimes he has a huge smile out of no where - like he used to have, and I’m thrilled to almost tears. Other times I see him struggling to even sleep due to pain. They have it so hard. The second he can utter anything that would make him feel better, I make that a priority because so very much of the time, he’s in pain or nauseous. I’m glad we still have hope.
DH, 56, Sigmoid & rectum
Adenocarcinoma 2cm
 G2: Moderately differentiated
T3N2aM0
Stage IIIb
LN 6/22
5/19 Baseline CEA value - 18.9
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): present
Perineural invasion (PNI): not identified
Surgical margins: proximal -negative; distal - negative 1.5cm; circumferential - negative 1mm)
MSI status: Waiting‬
Lynch status: ?
KRAS/BRAF: ?
Open Restorative Proctectomy, J-Pouch Coloanal Anastomosis, Loop Ileo w/Appendectomy
Neo-adjuvant Xeloda/radiation
Adjuvant Chemo: to begin 11/19

MeAndMine

Postby MeAndMine » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:33 pm

I love that! Your husband is lucky to have you make that for him. My husband had bladder cancer and is still going to checks for it but hasn't had to go through chemo or radiation. He's had two surgeries and those were hard enough. I can't imagine him having to go through the treatments that I'm just starting. It's harder to see your loved ones go through it than yourself I think.

I should have made something crafty for myself but all I've done is write down the days so I can cross them off with a red sharpie :D
F 56 non-smoker
8/5/2019 - Colonoscopy - 4-5 cm rectal mass, 2-3 cm proximal to anal verge and 6mm polyp
8/13/2019 - CT - No mets
8/19/2019 - Rectum: Adenocarcinoma arising from tubulovillous adenoma. Descending colon: tubular adenoma
8/23/2019 First visit with surgeon
8/26/2019 First visit with oncologist
8/26/2019 MRI
CEA 8/19/19=3.9, 8/26/19=7.1
9/6/2019 - T3N2a
9/11/2019 - Radiation begins - 5.5 weeks along with oral capecitabine

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”