Radioactive Sugar Uptake -PET

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Cured

Radioactive Sugar Uptake -PET

Postby Cured » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:56 pm

2 days ago I had my 3rd PET Scan. It showed the largest tumor in my lung had decreased to the point you can’t see it. The scan probably doesn’t declare all clear- according to my medical oncologist. I still need directly to see the radiologists’ report. My Onc prefers that I stay on Maintenence chemo. I want to take a long break.

Onc pointed out “good news” that the uptake of the Radioactive Sugar was much less than my previous scan in August. 2 vs 9.

What do you all know about UPTAKE as an indicator of active cancer?
7-18 Stg 4
5-08:Stg 3 Rectal: 6/14 Nodes
Ace Surgn Remvd 90%Rectm,lots of Colon-Full Incision
Ileo Rev'd 6 Mos.
Radian+5fu Pre-Surg
FOLFOX 8 Cyc,1-09
Clear Scope 8-17; CEA 2-18
Glory to God! Healed by prayers of many: for 10 yrs
7-18: tumor pressing brain Remove
Met to lung. CEA 6.9
Folfiri
CEA 4.5 after 1 chemo
8rds CEA 3 1.8, 2.3,1.7 then up:32
12rd Folfiri
Avastin ev 2 wks
Seizure Anti-seiz meds work-no driving for 6m
4-20PET: Lng spots=Chemo
2-21 tumr gth =Folfiri
Radiation 7-22

O Stoma Mia

Re: Radioactive Sugar Uptake -PET

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Cured wrote:...What do you all know about UPTAKE as an indicator of active cancer?

Some SUV threads

e_enyedy

Postby e_enyedy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:16 pm

The Standard Uptake Value (SUV) is kind of a complex topic. Assuming you had your scan at the same place and there were no other physical changes (your weight, etc) a lower uptake value is definitely a good sign. Nonetheless, I would suggest you discuss it with your Radiologist. (FYI: there are no universal tables of SUV, say like height/weight scales).

Re "Maintenance Chemo": I am on "Maintenance Chemo" for the last 4 years, and it seems to control the disease. I am a great fan of doing it non-stop -and will do it for as long as it works (hopefully the rest of my life)

Regards

E
77 yrs male (73 at Dx)
2/13 Dx Carcinoma, Sigmoid Colon
3/13 Sigmoid Colon Hemicolectomy,( 12"+)
3/13 Pathology Staging: T1N0M0; no follow-up chemo
5/15 Recurrence: in pre-sacral space -no other mets detected (Instantly became Stage IV)
5/15 Started 8 sessions of Folfox + Avastin
11/15 Finished chemo, PET/CT: NED
11/15 Started Xeloda+ Avastin every 3 weeks. Still Doing it.
Still NED -(Hope treatment keeps working)

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:33 pm

We used supplement enhanced immunochemo as a maintenance therapy to keep the side effects down and the cell kill up for 8 years "maintenance". Vacations can be dangerous things.

Maybe what you need is a better maintenance formula rather than a chemo vacation. More cancer kill and less side effects. For years, a little less chemistry, not even a chemo "vacation," meant marker rises. Finally after years, we bottomed and stabilized CEA and some other markers, for a long while. An honest vacation, so far.

Also, IV vitamin C probably can reduce cancer sugar metabolism and the PET SUV, as well as reduce cancer cells' survival as an addon adjuvant.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”