Pretty Sure I Have A Tumor

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Robz

Pretty Sure I Have A Tumor

Postby Robz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:15 am

Hi everyone,

Been lurking this forum the better half of a week now since I scheduled a flex sig. I first noticed a problem about a month ago when I went #2, wiped, and found a good amount of blood on the TP. Got an appointment with a GI who told me he thought it was an anal fissure but wanted to schedule a flex sig since I was having moderate pain on my left side. Fast forward three weeks later (scheduled it for Wednesday over Spring Break since I work as a substitute teacher) and I have a constant low-grade fever the past week, some blood in my stool, off-and-on thin stool, and a pressure in my lower-left abdomin. I went out tonight to try to take my mind off my upcoming appointment and have had some pressure/pain in my sigmoid colon (feels like bloating/gas) which has been recurring since I originally had blood on the TP. I try to pass a bowel movement now and notice streaks of blood on TP.

I have no insurance. I'm scared to death right now. I know no one here can make a diagnosis (seen multiple threads about people talking about their symptoms) but I need some advice. Should I go to the ER or just wait for the inevitable come Wednesday?

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Re: Pretty Sure I Have A Tumor

Postby betsydoglover » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Sorry for what you are going thru. As you know, we are not docs, so you need the flex sig and actually a colonoscopy would be the more definitive test. That said, although I am sure it happens, I have not heard of fever associated with CRC diagnosis - and generally there is no pain either. (My husband had pain that you describe and it turned out to be diverticulitis - not fun but treatable with antibiotics.) I know you are scared and if the flex sig gets you a diagnosis, then that's good. But if not, you really need a scope. (If that turns out to be the case, then perhaps Medicaid or the hospital can get you some treatment that is at reduced cost.)

Take care,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

Robz

Postby Robz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Got my flex sig done. Doctor was able to to get all the way to the Right Colic Flexture thanks to great bowel prep; found two polyps, one of which was a bit concerning to him, but neither were malignant. Wants me in for a full scope in three months, and by then I'll be back on insurance. Thank you for your advice betsydoglover!

Gonna keep tabs on this place, the stuff y'all go through is unbelievably heartbreaking and the awareness you bring to this awful disease is invaluable! Not sure I would've been able to make it through my wait without finding this forum. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers!

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:12 pm

Sounds like you are being well taken care of.

And BTW thank you for coming back to update us. It drives me crazy when people come here worried about symptoms, people talk with them, and then radio silence. Believe it or not many of us do quickly get vested in you! :)
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable