Mom diagnosed with rectal cancer - Adenocarcinoma with signet cells - SCARED

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
friendship

Re: Mom diagnosed with rectal cancer - Adenocarcinoma with signet cells - SCARED

Postby friendship » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:42 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:

• What is the "T" level? T1, T2, T3, or T4? (This could make a big difference in the assessed risk level)
  • How many lymph nodes, exactly, are suspected of being malignant?

Thank you.

Thank you for all the info.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention we had a CT scan before consulting our oncologist. Which mentioned "few enlarged perirectal, perisacral and right external iliac lymph nodes"

This report did not mention any numbers either.

Definitely asking about the T and number of lymph nodes.

Thanks you O Stoma Mia. You replying to my questions means a lot.
Mom/ F, 47 years old
DX: Rectal Cancer (RC) ,
Tumor Location: 3 cm from AV
Tumor type: Adenocarcinoma with signet ring-cell features.
Tumor size: approx 6 cm
Tumor grade: G3: Poorly differentiated
Stage: Stage IIIA (tentative)
Positive lymph nodes: Tentatively: 1 (one) - (inferred by CT, and PET/CT, not by biopsy)
Mets: None observed on CT or PET/CT
Baseline CEA value: 1.4 ng/ml
Radiation therapy: Chemo/radiation – 6 weeks (completed on March 21, 2019)
Next appt with onc on May 2, 2019

O Stoma Mia

Radiation + Xeloda side effects during chemo/rad

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Here is a link to some information on managing side effects while on chemo/ radiation.

It is important to keep side effects under control in order to avoid possible suspension or termination of the 6-weeks of treatment.

Radiation + Xeloda (capecitabine) side effects
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44619&p=321925#p321925

When will your Mom be going in for the initial set-up procedure with the radiation oncologist? You could take that session as an opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the machine or the general procedure.

friendship

Re: Radiation + Xeloda side effects during chemo/rad

Postby friendship » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:10 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:Here is a link to some information on managing side effects while on chemo/ radiation.

It is important to keep side effects under control in order to avoid possible suspension or termination of the 6-weeks of treatment.

Radiation + Xeloda (capecitabine) side effects
http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44619&p=321925#p321925

When will your Mom be going in for the initial set-up procedure with the radiation oncologist? You could take that session as an opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the machine or the general procedure.

It's been 5 days since the initial CT simulation for radiation. Waiting for the hospital to call. I'm so tired of the waiting, maybe I'll drop by the hospital and check today.

Thanks for the link.
Mom/ F, 47 years old
Positive lymph nodes: Tentatively: 1 (one) - (inferred by CT, and PET/CT, not by biopsy)

O Stoma Mia

Re: Mom diagnosed with rectal cancer - Adenocarcinoma with signet cells - SCARED

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:19 am

friendship -

I notice that you have been spending a lot of time on the board recently in the "Reading Topics" mode. Are you finding all of the topics that you are looking for?

Let us know if you need any help.

Now that you have geen promoted to Registered User status you should be able to send and receive private messages. You could send PMs to other SRC members or caregivers here, if that would be of interest to you. There are several here who have been active in the past month or so

friendship

Postby friendship » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:23 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:friendship -

I notice that you have been spending a lot of time on the board recently in the "Reading Topics" mode. Are you finding all of the topics that you are looking for?

Let us know if you need any help.

Now that you have geen promoted to Registered User status you should be able to send and receive private messages. You could send PMs to other SRC members or caregivers here, if that would be of interest to you. There are several here who have been active in the past month or so

Hi O Stoma Mia,

Yes, I've been reading a lot on the forum. I'm amazed at how supportive people are over here.
But at one point I felt like a read too much, I was googling, looking at people's stories on Instagram and Facebook - all at once. I shut down everything for one whole day. I've realized I need to learn to optimize the reading.

I will surely get in touch with people who have had to deal with SRC.

Also an update - mom is starting chemo radiation on Tuesday.

Thanks you so much O Stoma Mia.

-friendship
Mom/ F, 47 years old

O Stoma Mia

Signet Ring Cell threads

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 am

friendship wrote:... I will surely get in touch with people who have had to deal with SRC...

One way to find people who have had to deal with SRC is to look at some of the past Signet Ring Cell threads on this forum and see who started each thread. Some of those members are still around and are active on this forum.

It would be good if you could make contact with a few of them and form a small discussion group.

Here is a link to some 200+ threads that have been started in the Signet Ring Cell area.

Signet Ring Cell threads on this forum

The way to use this link is as follows: First, be sure that you are logged in when using the link above. You need to be logged in for the username links on each thread to be active. (If you access the above link as Guest, you will not be able to see the details or profiles of the users.) You can then access each thread, one by one, and look at the user who created that post. (This will be the highlighted name to the right of the screen, preceded by the word "by".) Once you have clicked on that username you will see the user's profile, including such information as date joined, date last active, etc. The profile may also show a Signature, in which case you can get additional information like DX, types of treatments received, etc. From this information you can then prepare a short list of members who have had to deal with SRC and who have been active on the board in the past few months. Then from this list you can decide which members you might want to contact.

I hope you are able to find a few who are willing to form a kind of mutual support group. There needs to be such a group in the SRC area. I think you will feel better once you have made contact with a few SRC patients or caregivers who can be a resource that you can turn to whenever you have questions.

Warning: One thing should be mentioned, though, about generating a high volume of PM messages. There is an absolute limit of 100 messages for your PM Inbox. If you exceed the maximum of 100, your whole PM system will lock up and you will not be able to send or receive anything anymore. You can read about that problem here:
https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59694&p=474269#p474269

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 pm

friendship wrote:... Also an update - mom is starting chemo radiation on Tuesday.

Best wishes for a good start on chemo/radiation this week. And try to do something special for your Mom on Thursday.

Let us know how the first week goes. There are a lot of folks here who have been through neo-adjuvant chemo/radiation and who can give support if you need it.

If you need support in the chemo/radiation area, you can just start a new thread by clicking on the NewTopic link, and indicating your specific concern in the Subject line:
https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=1

Take care ...

friendship

Postby friendship » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:27 am

O Stoma Mia wrote:
friendship wrote:... Also an update - mom is starting chemo radiation on Tuesday.

Best wishes for a good start on chemo/radiation this week. And try to do something special for your Mom on Thursday.

Let us know how the first week goes. There are a lot of folks here who have been through neo-adjuvant chemo/radiation and who can give support if you need it.

If you need support in the chemo/radiation area, you can just start a new thread by clicking on the NewTopic link, and indicating your specific concern in the Subject line:
https://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=1

Take care ...

O Stoma Mia, I don't know how to thank you. In all the cancer chaos, I totally forgot about Valentine's day, which also happens to be my parents' wedding anniversary. Planning to make it special this year.

She was pretty chill through her first radiation today. Will keep updating.

Again, thank you.

-friendship
Mom/ F, 47 years old

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”