Colon resection small intestine

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Freddy18

Colon resection small intestine

Postby Freddy18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 am

Does any one know what tests be done to see if damage was done during recovering 8weeks, i lifted heavy now I have pain back really bad. Is it normal or what, will it be ok again?

Lee

Re: Colon resection small intestine

Postby Lee » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:24 pm

You might want to talk to your surgeon. I was cut open during my surgery and I was not allowed to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for about 6-8 weeks.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:26 pm

It won't be ok again if you don't go to your doctor and get checked out, eh? I would think your
range of movement will be assessed (for musculo-skeletal injury), followed by a physical
examination for pain/guarding and then a CT scan order if necessary.

For the sake of your peace of mind and to change the pain relief medications, make
an appointment to see your doctor asap.

I had an open r. hemicolectomy and because I live alone, I had no choice but to carry heavy
groceries 10 days after surgery and the 2 litre bottle of milk felt like 20 litres after I had
gone 100 metres. Gotta do what you gotta do.

When are you seeing your doctor?
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:05 pm

Thanks for the replys. Yea im going doctors tomarrow i will let yous know how i get on. Thanks

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:27 pm

Went to doctor today she seems to thing I've pulled or strained myself she gave me letter to get checked out by surgeon team at hospital. So that be on Friday hopefully.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Did your doctor assess your range of movements then - bend over, touch your toes,
twist from side-to-side, put your right foot in, shake it all about... :lol: 8)

Seems that you might have done yourself a mischief and as a suggestion, ask
about getting a referral to a physiotherapist (physical therapist) to get some exercises to do,
now that you have a modified body - part of a rehabilitation strategy.

No doubt when you did that lifting, you went at it like you were used to doing a hundred times
in pre-colon resection days with no ill effect but this time your body has gone WTF!

All the best with the consult at hospital and where in the world are you, Freddy?
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
T3 N0 MX

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm from ireland, I'm 27years old and i had the colon resection for meckels diverticulum back in November 2018. I work in the furniture bussiness and lifting is always required in my job so recovering is a struggle as i can't not lift. I also a worry alot that defo doesnt help at times. Thanks for the advice about all this.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:34 pm

As regular lifting of furniture is routine, does your employer provide support belts and
back braces are part of a health & safety regulations? I bet you're worried, if you can't
do your job you'll get the arse, yeah?
DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:40 am

My employer is sound I blame myself for the lifting when I strictly should've avoided it but when Imnat work and things need done that I would've normal done no bother, it's hard to stop yourself as you feel you have to go on with it, it's hard to know the right time when your body will easily lift what you normally did everyday. Hopefully this is a minor set back and il be ok again. Live in hope.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 pm

I'll tell you what happened to me after I had my right hemi. I have a microbusiness making soft furnishings. Had my surgery on
3 Apr (good friday of all days), out of hospital on 9 Apr which was the same day I had to get those groceries. Fast forward to
25 April and I'm standing up at the table using a rotary cutter to prepare strips of fabric, I'm right-handed too. I'm also still
on Panadol Forte and I don't feel the initial pain cues from my body saying "Yeah, knock it off now" so I keep going, I have all this
energy after being quite crook for some time pre-surgery and the fatigue. I just want to get back in the saddle and up to speed
again.

When the pain hit, it was like I'd been in the fields throwing bales of hay up to the wagon or chasing sheep around paddock.
Who knew!!?? Who would have thought that standing in me own bloody house slicing up fabric with a rotary cutter for half an
hour would shove me in the pain locker......

So......with a modified body, you live and you learn. One time I smoked some dope, went down beach and did some cartwheels,
woke up next morning wondering why my wrists were sore....I seem to be more at risk of breaking myself when I'm on substances
that mask the little warnings. Some of those substances were legally prescribed. :lol:

Take a load of blame off yourself, Freddy. You're on a learning curve, hasn't even been three months. You'll be right.
DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

LPL

Postby LPL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:26 pm

Freddy, what were you told by your surgeon/doctor when you left the hospital? About amount OK to lift I mean. DH got a no no !!! for lifting heavy things. Did they say to DH ’for ever’? Not sure anout this last sentence.. but these were really stressed advice for my hubby - he had open surgery. (Please note that my husband is old(er).!)
Last edited by LPL on Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DH @ 65 DX 4/11/16 CC recto-sigmoid junction
Adenocarcenoma 35x15x9mm G3(biopsi) G1(surgical)
Mets 3 Liver resectable
T4aN1bM1a IVa 2/9 LN
MSS, KRAS-mut G13D
CEA & CA19-9: 5/18 2.5 78 8/17 1.4 48 2/14/17 1.8 29
4 Folfox 6/15-7/30 (b4 liver surgery) 8 after
CT: 8/8 no change 3/27/17 NED->Jan-19 mets to lung NED again Oct-19 :)
:!: Steroid induced hyperglycemia dx after 3chemo
Surgeries 2016: 3/18 Emergency colostomy
5/23 Primary+gallbl+stoma reversal+port 9/1 Liver mets
RFA 2019: Feb & Oct lung mets

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:36 pm

They said no lifting but I didn't realise or think to ask what or for how long no lifting heavy. Yea I had open surgery too. I didn't realise the recovering involved as it was my first operation ever and was in shock to be unable to do things. :shock:

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:43 pm

Cheers for all your replys its good to relate about this stuff I like hearing these story's,Thanks for sharing them.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:21 pm

Freddy18 wrote:They said no lifting but I didn't realise or think to ask what or for how long no lifting heavy. Yea I had open surgery too.
I didn't realise the recovering involved as it was my first operation ever and was in shock to be unable to do things. :shock:

Well, there you go Freddy, first time your hood has ever been popped and when they said (NHS?) "no lifting", you didn't know
to say : "No lifting what....a pint or a couch? Be specific".

Up there for thinking, down there for riverdancing.

Tell us about your Meckel's diverticulum and how you came to have the colon resection....is there some risk factor with Meckel's
becoming malignant down the line and the resection was preventative?
DX April 2015, @ 54
T3 N0 MX

Freddy18

Postby Freddy18 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:29 pm

I had intermittent blood in stool so i had a colonoscopy, they said it was clear. I hadn't felt myself in quite a long time, feeling sick and pain when an xray revealed i had a kidney stone then passed it. Then weeks later pain and sickness really bad I went in to hospital by ambulance and in there I had bloods, Xray, CT scan of abdomin which revealed what they discovered turned out to be meckels diverticulum and had to have emergency open surgery small intestine resection in November 2018. I'm recovering but still getting blood in stool at times so I have to have another colonoscopy now in March. Hope all be alright.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”