Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
peanut_8
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:17 pm

That's a good point about friction on the foot. If that happened, you'd probably need to cut down on walking, or possibly get really cushy socks and comfy. shoes. I must admit that the last 1/3 of my treatment I had to cut back on the walking and finally eliminate it, but that was mostly due to fatigue. I only had mild/moderate hand/foot syndrome.

Best Wishes,
peanut
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

weisssoccermom
Posts: 5945
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Pacific NW

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 pm

You mentioned something which I would like to address. We read stories about patients who have chemo for other kinds of cancers or we see things on television that portray cancer patients as super ill, very thin and overall they look awful. There ARE some types of cancer treatments that can and do cause patients to have those side effects BUT....something most people don't recognize is that different cancers have different chemo drugs and other treatments and that the drugs for colorectal cancer don't generally have those awful side effects.

When I was first diagnosed, I assumed that I would somehow turn into this stick figure person....super thin and be sitting next to the toilet all the time because I would be throwing up everyday. That was the FURTHEST thing from the truth. Just remember that and don't let those scary portrayals overtake your mind and overwhelm you.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Beckster
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby Beckster » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

esuperbaby wrote:Dear all,

I have seen 2 Oncologist and both suggested to go for the 8 cycles Xelonda .. they explained the side effect as you guys and reassurance that most people can tolerate this period ..

So, probably I would make up my mind and go for the chemo “journey”

Thanks again for all your support and pls recommend further tips if any.. so far, I marked down the below:

- drink more water
- apply more cream on hand and foot
- avoid too much folic acid

Thank you again and you all really too kind !

Best Regards,
Esupeebaby


I am glad you found the information you needed to make a desicion. I did Xeloda only for 6 months. People did not know that I was on chemo..I did not lose my hair and did not lose weight. In fact, I gained 10 pounds! I never had nausea and would have a couple martinis on my days off of chemo. I did suffer from hand and foot that affected me walking long distances after the 3rd round, but my onc adjusted my treatment plan and it worked. I went out, cleaned the house, worked part time (I am retired) and took a nap when I got tired. All in all, it was quite doable. I would advise you to drink plenty of water, by some "Utterly Smooth" for your hands and feet and eat before taking the pills. You will be ready to go for summer! If you have any questions while on Xeloda, message me and I can give you additional tips if needed. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
57/Female
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3 (path) G2 (pre-op)
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic reaction to oxaliplatin on first infusion
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda monotherapy
6/17, 12/17, 6/18, 12/18, 6/19 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17 :D

peanut_8
Posts: 2320
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby peanut_8 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm

Think I gained some weight on xeloda also. I attribute that to all the macaroni and cheese that I ate. :roll:
Sometimes you just need some good old comfort food. I could keep up with normal day to day activities until the last couple of weeks, when I was very tired.
I did have my dosage lowered once.
female, diagnosed Jan 14, RC stage 2a, age 56
MSS
April 14, 28 chemo/rad with Xeloda
June 14 adjuvant Xeloda 6 rounds
currently NED

Lee
Posts: 5938
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby Lee » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

weisssoccermom wrote: . . . We read stories about patients who have chemo for other kinds of cancers or we see things on television that portray cancer patients as super ill, very thin and overall they look awful.

When I was first diagnosed, I assumed that I would somehow turn into this stick figure person....super thin and be sitting next to the toilet all the time because I would be throwing up everyday. That was the FURTHEST thing from the truth . . .


I was one of those people who actually PUT ON weight while on chemo and I only threw up once during the whole course (we finally determined OJ and chemo were NOT a good combo for me). This was getting a full dose, 12 cycle of FOLFOX. I got chemo every other week. Those weeks when I had to get chemo, yes I had to take it easy. Butt the week off from chemo, I lead a normal life.

There are ways to deal with the side effects of chemo.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 10 years and counting!

esuperbaby
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:32 am

peanut_8 wrote:That's a good point about friction on the foot. If that happened, you'd probably need to cut down on walking, or possibly get really cushy socks and comfy. shoes. I must admit that the last 1/3 of my treatment I had to cut back on the walking and finally eliminate it, but that was mostly due to fatigue. I only had mild/moderate hand/foot syndrome.

Best Wishes,
peanut


Thanks!

Would the fatigue make your normal life affected?
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)

esuperbaby
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:34 am

weisssoccermom wrote:You mentioned something which I would like to address. We read stories about patients who have chemo for other kinds of cancers or we see things on television that portray cancer patients as super ill, very thin and overall they look awful. There ARE some types of cancer treatments that can and do cause patients to have those side effects BUT....something most people don't recognize is that different cancers have different chemo drugs and other treatments and that the drugs for colorectal cancer don't generally have those awful side effects.

When I was first diagnosed, I assumed that I would somehow turn into this stick figure person....super thin and be sitting next to the toilet all the time because I would be throwing up everyday. That was the FURTHEST thing from the truth. Just remember that and don't let those scary portrayals overtake your mind and overwhelm you.


Yes, thanks a lot for the comfort! After hearing from you, though I expect there would be some uncomfortable but it should be manageable for most people.. hope I will be one of those ..!
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)

esuperbaby
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:38 am

Beckster wrote:
esuperbaby wrote:Dear all,

I have seen 2 Oncologist and both suggested to go for the 8 cycles Xelonda .. they explained the side effect as you guys and reassurance that most people can tolerate this period ..

So, probably I would make up my mind and go for the chemo “journey”

Thanks again for all your support and pls recommend further tips if any.. so far, I marked down the below:

- drink more water
- apply more cream on hand and foot
- avoid too much folic acid

Thank you again and you all really too kind !

Best Regards,
Esupeebaby


I am glad you found the information you needed to make a desicion. I did Xeloda only for 6 months. People did not know that I was on chemo..I did not lose my hair and did not lose weight. In fact, I gained 10 pounds! I never had nausea and would have a couple martinis on my days off of chemo. I did suffer from hand and foot that affected me walking long distances after the 3rd round, but my onc adjusted my treatment plan and it worked. I went out, cleaned the house, worked part time (I am retired) and took a nap when I got tired. All in all, it was quite doable. I would advise you to drink plenty of water, by some "Utterly Smooth" for your hands and feet and eat before taking the pills. You will be ready to go for summer! If you have any questions while on Xeloda, message me and I can give you additional tips if needed. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!


Thanks Beckster!

Will sure approach you for additional tips once I start the Xelonda, it’s expected to start from mid-Jan!

May I also ask if you control the red meat volume after the surgery? The Dr suggested more white meat than red and it’s mentioned about 1lb red meat per week.

Thanks !
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)

Beckster
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby Beckster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:42 am

esuperbaby wrote:
Beckster wrote:
esuperbaby wrote:Dear all,

I have seen 2 Oncologist and both suggested to go for the 8 cycles Xelonda .. they explained the side effect as you guys and reassurance that most people can tolerate this period ..

So, probably I would make up my mind and go for the chemo “journey”

Thanks again for all your support and pls recommend further tips if any.. so far, I marked down the below:

- drink more water
- apply more cream on hand and foot
- avoid too much folic acid

Thank you again and you all really too kind !

Best Regards,
Esupeebaby


I am glad you found the information you needed to make a desicion. I did Xeloda only for 6 months. People did not know that I was on chemo..I did not lose my hair and did not lose weight. In fact, I gained 10 pounds! I never had nausea and would have a couple martinis on my days off of chemo. I did suffer from hand and foot that affected me walking long distances after the 3rd round, but my onc adjusted my treatment plan and it worked. I went out, cleaned the house, worked part time (I am retired) and took a nap when I got tired. All in all, it was quite doable. I would advise you to drink plenty of water, by some "Utterly Smooth" for your hands and feet and eat before taking the pills. You will be ready to go for summer! If you have any questions while on Xeloda, message me and I can give you additional tips if needed. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!


Thanks Beckster!

Will sure approach you for additional tips once I start the Xelonda, it’s expected to start from mid-Jan!

May I also ask if you control the red meat volume after the surgery? The Dr suggested more white meat than red and it’s mentioned about 1lb red meat per week.

Thanks !


I was never put on a "restricted" red meat volume, but I am not much of a red meat eater. However, diet wise, everyone should limit their red meat and process food consumption. I mostly eat salmon 2 times a week, chicken and turkey. I have my pasta one day a week and eat a salad with protein every day. However,during chemo, my onc told me to eat anthing and everything I wanted...apparently chemo works better with weight...so I ate and ate and ate! Started chemo at 148 and finished at 161!
57/Female
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3 (path) G2 (pre-op)
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic reaction to oxaliplatin on first infusion
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda monotherapy
6/17, 12/17, 6/18, 12/18, 6/19 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17 :D

esuperbaby
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 am

Thanks!

Also want to ask one thing, now after surgery for 3 weeks , the wounds were ok on the superficial ...

But sometimes I still feel the inside is a bit pain... is that normal? How long this painful will be gone?

Thank you !
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)

Beckster
Posts: 370
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:01 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby Beckster » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:27 pm

esuperbaby wrote:Thanks!

Also want to ask one thing, now after surgery for 3 weeks , the wounds were ok on the superficial ...

But sometimes I still feel the inside is a bit pain... is that normal? How long this painful will be gone?

Thank you !


Yes it is normal. I had pains now and then for 6 months and a lot of rumbling and gas. You have to give it time. I was not allowed to lift anything over 5 pds for 6 weeks, but you had major surgery and it takes time. On the outside it looked minor, but the inside is still major.
57/Female
DX:(CC) 10/19/16
11/4/16- Lap right hemi(cecum)
CEA- Pre Op (1.9), Pre Chemo (2.5)
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Tumor size:3.5 cm x 2.5 x 0.7 cm
Grade: G3 (path) G2 (pre-op)
TNM: T3N0M0/IIA
LN: 0/24
LVI present
Surgical margins: clear
MSS
12/27/2016 - Capeox, anaphylactic reaction to oxaliplatin on first infusion
1/2/17 to 6/9/17- Xeloda monotherapy
6/17, 12/17, 6/18, 12/18, 6/19 CT Scan NED :D
CEA- 6/17- 3.6, 9/17- 2.8 12/17-2.8, 3/18-3.1, 6/18-3.0, 9/18 2.8, 12/18 2.5 3/19 3.1 6/19 3.1
Clear Colonoscopy 10/17 :D

esuperbaby
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Dear all,

Finally, I have made up my mind to take the Xelonda ..!
Thanks for all of your comments earlier !

My private Oncologist said it’s better to start the Xelonda within 6 weeks from Surgery.. however, the govt hospital Oncologist is going to arrange the Xelonda only from week 8 .. is it still okay?

Would you please also give additional tips of preventing or how to deal with the side effect from Xelonda..thank you soooo much !

So far I mark down:
- drink more water
- apply more cream on hand and foot
- avoid cycling (to reduce friction on foot)

Brgds,
Esuperbaby
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)

esuperbaby
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Stage II but puzzle with the chemo.. : (

Postby esuperbaby » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Beckster wrote:
esuperbaby wrote:Dear all,

I have seen 2 Oncologist and both suggested to go for the 8 cycles Xelonda .. they explained the side effect as you guys and reassurance that most people can tolerate this period ..

So, probably I would make up my mind and go for the chemo “journey”

Thanks again for all your support and pls recommend further tips if any.. so far, I marked down the below:

- drink more water
- apply more cream on hand and foot
- avoid too much folic acid

Thank you again and you all really too kind !

Best Regards,
Esupeebaby


I am glad you found the information you needed to make a desicion. I did Xeloda only for 6 months. People did not know that I was on chemo..I did not lose my hair and did not lose weight. In fact, I gained 10 pounds! I never had nausea and would have a couple martinis on my days off of chemo. I did suffer from hand and foot that affected me walking long distances after the 3rd round, but my onc adjusted my treatment plan and it worked. I went out, cleaned the house, worked part time (I am retired) and took a nap when I got tired. All in all, it was quite doable. I would advise you to drink plenty of water, by some "Utterly Smooth" for your hands and feet and eat before taking the pills. You will be ready to go for summer! If you have any questions while on Xeloda, message me and I can give you additional tips if needed. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!


Dear Beckster,

I finally decided to go for Xelonda, thanks a lot for all of your valuable info and comments before !

Please kindly advise the additinal tips for me to pass through the period of having Xelonda .. thank you so much !

Brgds.
Esuperbaby
40M
diagnosed on 12Dec18,surgery done on 17Dec18.
Right ascending colon, laparoscopic right hemicolectomy
Moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma
TNM code: T3N0M0, stage II
Positive lymph nodes: 0/26
Baseline CEA value: 2.6
Lymphovascular invasion (LVI): Area suggestive but not definite for peritumoral lymphovascular permeation are noted
Perineural invasion (PNI): absent
Surgical margins: clear
MSI status : negative
Xelonda: started from 15Feb19 (2 weeks Xelonda + 1 wk off, total 8 cycles)


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 40 guests