Hospitals that install HAI pump?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mpbser

Re: Hospitals that install HAI pump?

Postby mpbser » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:03 am

OK, so I cleared up some of the confusion about the HAI pump issues I have discussed in this thread. There was a bit of misinformation in the New York Times article. I had to deduce the information that I came up with from various conversations here, on Facebook, and from medical literature that someone emailed to me.

Apparently, Medtronic started making pumps with catheters decades ago. The SynchroMed EL (programmable) and IsoMed (constant flow) pumps appear to have been designed to infuse drugs to many parts of the body, not just the spine. I have heard of people who have CC-liver cancer who have had Medtronic's SynchroMed EL pump implanted. These pumps are not compatible with MRIs as they were designed and tested for under 2 and 1.5 Tesla. The majority of MRI machines these days are 3 Tesla. The SynchroMed EL pump seems to be an old, discontinued model, as the website only shows SynchroMed II which is only FDA approved for use in the spine and does not have a catheter. It appears that the IsoMed pump is also no longer in production. Hence, Medtronic does not currently make pumps with catheters and thus the need for adaptation of SynchroMed II with Codman catheter. I would like to know exactly who is making the adaptation. There is nothing on Medtronic's website about it. Searching the google today to see what I can find.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
CEA: < 2.9
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
Immunohistochemsistry Normal
Fall 2017 FOLFOX shrank the 1 met in liver
1/18 Liver left hepatectomy seg 4
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
5/13/19 HAI pump catheter dislodge, nearly bled to death
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:13 am

chadwick, If the trial is the only way to get a pump at MSK right now, then you would not be a candidate. I can't imagine that there is any other way to get a pump these days given the production issues I just mentioned in my most recent comment and as discussed in this thread. The criteria for the trial include: History of histologically confirmed colorectal adenocarcinoma metastatic to the liver with no clinicalyl or radiographically confirmed extrahepatic disease (or) Histologically confirmed cholangiocarcinoma (Clinical or radiographic evidence of metastatic disease that has been resected is allowed, provided there is no recurrence in that area prior to protocol consent) [copied from the link I provided previously, repeated here: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... eny&rank=1 typo and all]. Because you have extrahepatic disease, you do not qualify at this time.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:03 am

Dr. K apparently is making this adaptation "in house" so to speak. I gleaned this from https://www.cancernetwork.com/news/halt ... s/page/0/2:

"the company, Cerenovus, [was] telling me that they can give [the catheters] to me, and so I have catheters to connect to the Medtronic pump. But when they first told me this, they literally were closing my program and everyone else’s because they told us that we were getting neither the catheters nor the pumps. Now, with the catheters, we are not closed down, but we do have problems."
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

juliej

Postby juliej » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:30 pm

chadwick1 wrote:
juliej wrote:Chadwick, I'm confused why your liver was resected but they didn't implant the pump at the same time. I had a met in each of my lungs and still got the pump. Hopefully your liver will stay clear in your next scans, but if you have a recurrence, get a consultation with Dr. Kemeny about the pump.

Hi Julie, thanks, that’s really interesting to hear! I’m not sure but looking at your sig I wonder if perhaps the protocol has changed since then? I’m seeing a different onc at MSK and we were a bit skeptical at first when she said I wouldn’t be a good candidate, but we asked Kingham about it too and he said the same thing: the lung met would mean systemic chemo and that would be a contra-indication for the pump. I won’t pretend to fully understand why medically but they both were pretty unequivocal. Certainly if this scan or another shows more liver recurrence I’ll be bringing it back up!

Yes, definitely bring it back up if the situation arises. I don't think Dr. Kemeny has changed her protocol whatsoever. You have to have systemic chemo anyway with the HAI pump. 5FU goes in the pump of course, but HAI patients also take a systemic chemo like Xeloda or Irinotecan. So that would take care of any lung met. Might be a difference in the way Kingham does things though. Or maybe Dr. Kemeny is just more aggressive in her treatment. In any case, good luck with everything!
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

SGNYC

Postby SGNYC » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi,

Just to offer some further info re the MSK approach when there is a lung Met. They don’t generally put in the pump if any lung Mets exist. DH had a single small liver met and a single small lung Met and we of course asked about HAI pump. The oncology team discussed it and didn’t feel my husband needed it at this point bc it was a single small and resectable Met (and as it turned out, by the time surgery rolled around the liver Met was just scar tissue! Yay!) but secondarily would not recommend it with the lung Met as many hai pump patients with Mets to both liver/lung experienced less efficacy from chemo (not just hai pump delivered but also systemic) as it relates to the lung Met.

We did not push bc this was a secondary conversation for my husband as the main point was he had a single small Met that was responding to neoadjuvant and it was not necessary at this point in time. I got the feeling if we really felt strongly we could have made it happen, but we’re there to get their expert treatment! I don’t know how it would have been handled had we wanted it (ie trial/insurance etc).

Hope this is helpful
Wife to DH, 44
DX July 18 - RC at Rectosigmoid
Adenocarcinoma, Mod diff
T3N1M1
Stage IV (but MSK said not a true Stage IV at Dx)
Pos nodes: 1/18
1 Liver Met and 1 Lung Met - liver Met dead tissue at surgery, hence MSK M1 status
Baseline CEA value of 25, now 3.4
LAR (Robotic)/Liver resect(dead tissue), VATS lung - clear margins
Temp Ileo- Reversal Feb 19
Folfox - 5 Rounds Neoadj, 3 rounds Adj, then discontinued Oxali and 4 rounds just 5FU
NED and Reversal Feb 2019 - clear contrast CT, clear contrast MRI

chadwick1

Postby chadwick1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:58 pm

SGNYC, that sounds very similar to my situation and what I heard from the docs. In any case my only known liver met is already out with clear margins, so if anything recurs there I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Plus there’s still a chance the lung lesion could be benign! (Not counting on it though. The waiting is hard!) I hope you and your DH are doing well.
DX 2017, 37yo father of two
Stage 3b RC (T3N1bM0) normal CEA, KRAS G12V
Radiation + 5FU
LAR w/ temp loop ileo. 2/33 lymph
FOLFOX, 9 rounds
2018 CT mass in liver & lung
MRI confirms liver, Stage 4
Liver resection
2019 lung nodule shrank, monitor
Lung nodule grew again, resection
2020 CT new lung nodule + 2 lymph nodes
FOLFIRI, good response
2021 pause FOLFIRI, attempt lobectomy, aborted
Radiation to lung

SGNYC

Postby SGNYC » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Hi Chadwick,

Very similar to my DH, who is also early onset. Are you NY based?

I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts. I’m very hopeful it’s not a lung Met but I have full faith in the excellent care at MSK to get both our families through hurdles.
Wife to DH, 44
DX July 18 - RC at Rectosigmoid
Adenocarcinoma, Mod diff
T3N1M1
Stage IV (but MSK said not a true Stage IV at Dx)
Pos nodes: 1/18
1 Liver Met and 1 Lung Met - liver Met dead tissue at surgery, hence MSK M1 status
Baseline CEA value of 25, now 3.4
LAR (Robotic)/Liver resect(dead tissue), VATS lung - clear margins
Temp Ileo- Reversal Feb 19
Folfox - 5 Rounds Neoadj, 3 rounds Adj, then discontinued Oxali and 4 rounds just 5FU
NED and Reversal Feb 2019 - clear contrast CT, clear contrast MRI

chadwick1

Postby chadwick1 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:00 pm

Upstate NY, but we gladly make the drive down to go to MSK. Thanks so much—I agree!
DX 2017, 37yo father of two
Stage 3b RC (T3N1bM0) normal CEA, KRAS G12V
Radiation + 5FU
LAR w/ temp loop ileo. 2/33 lymph
FOLFOX, 9 rounds
2018 CT mass in liver & lung
MRI confirms liver, Stage 4
Liver resection
2019 lung nodule shrank, monitor
Lung nodule grew again, resection
2020 CT new lung nodule + 2 lymph nodes
FOLFIRI, good response
2021 pause FOLFIRI, attempt lobectomy, aborted
Radiation to lung

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:21 am

OK, so I got clarification from a physician heavily involved in HAI pumps at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids. I think he is a liver oncological surgeon. His facility is using the Medtronic SynchroMed II with Codman catheter. MSK is the only place conducting a trial on this new adaptation and everyone else (including this surgeon) is implanting them off-label. These same Medtronic pumps were used for HAI in years past, so Medtronic is not new to the pump business. (Not many years for the particular model currently available, just a few years.) MSK just wants to get FDA-approval for the combination so they can use in further studies. "I don’t think anyone has any true safety concerns, it’s more of a formality," says this surgeon.
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

juliej

Postby juliej » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:55 pm

mpbser wrote:OK, so I got clarification from a physician heavily involved in HAI pumps at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids. I think he is a liver oncological surgeon. His facility is using the Medtronic SynchroMed II with Codman catheter. MSK is the only place conducting a trial on this new adaptation and everyone else (including this surgeon) is implanting them off-label. These same Medtronic pumps were used for HAI in years past, so Medtronic is not new to the pump business. (Not many years for the particular model currently available, just a few years.) MSK just wants to get FDA-approval for the combination so they can use in further studies. "I don’t think anyone has any true safety concerns, it’s more of a formality," says this surgeon.

Yes, that is exactly the situation. However, (a bit of insider information) there is a hush-hush possibility involving an investor group who might purchase the rights to Cerenovus's Codman HAI pump and continue manufacturing it. Apparently, Cerenovus blamed manufacturing issues for the termination, but the reality is that it didn't make enough profit for them. Plus the feeling is they wanted out of the pump business completely anyway. So... we shall see what happens!
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

mpbser

Postby mpbser » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 am

Thanks, Julie! I heard rumblings about this in more vague terms somewhere else. My husband would definitely opt for a Codman pump but is really on the fence about this Medtronic/Codman catheter adaptation. Between the need to visit MSK every two weeks and it being in experimental trial at this stage, he does not want to make such a commitment and take such a risk. Fingers crossed that the deal happens and the production resumes!!!
Wife 4/17 Dx age 45
5/17 LAR
Adenocarcinoma
low grade
1st primary T3 N2b M1a
Stage IVA
8/17 Sub-total colectomy
2nd primary 5.5 cm T1 N0
9 of 96 nodes
MSS
Lynch no; KRAS wild
5/18 CT clear
12/18 MRI 1 liver met
3/7/19 Resection & HAI
4/1/19 Folfiri & FUDR
6-7 '19 5FU 4 cycles
NED

MontanaSam

Postby MontanaSam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:16 pm

ginabeewell wrote:Here's a funny resource!

http://dev.haipump.com/haipumpfinder/

Not sure how up to date it is...?

This site was developed by a gentleman here in Missoula. I am part of a group of MBA students helping to further refine and update this list. We have been contacting every center in the US to find out who is or has done the procedure and who is using what devices.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:18 pm

juliej wrote:
mpbser wrote:OK, so I got clarification from a physician heavily involved in HAI pumps at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids. I think he is a liver oncological surgeon. His facility is using the Medtronic SynchroMed II with Codman catheter. MSK is the only place conducting a trial on this new adaptation and everyone else (including this surgeon) is implanting them off-label. These same Medtronic pumps were used for HAI in years past, so Medtronic is not new to the pump business. (Not many years for the particular model currently available, just a few years.) MSK just wants to get FDA-approval for the combination so they can use in further studies. "I don’t think anyone has any true safety concerns, it’s more of a formality," says this surgeon.

Yes, that is exactly the situation. However, (a bit of insider information) there is a hush-hush possibility involving an investor group who might purchase the rights to Cerenovus's Codman HAI pump and continue manufacturing it. Apparently, Cerenovus blamed manufacturing issues for the termination, but the reality is that it didn't make enough profit for them. Plus the feeling is they wanted out of the pump business completely anyway. So... we shall see what happens!

It’s ALL ABOUT PROFITS! That’s why Codman stopped production. I’ve been saying this since they stopped. I had the codman pump, worked flawlessly, no batteries needed, easy maintenance. I believe the cost of the device was less than $1000. The maintenance plus the treatment with 40+ year chemo, FUDR and folfiri makes this treatment CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE! Less than $2000 as I remember my bills from MSK.

Cancer is a multi-billion dollar business and most of the companies AND hospitals that treat us are in it MOSTLY for MAXIMUM PROFIT! Should be fucking illegal!
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

ginabeewell

Postby ginabeewell » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:54 pm

MontanaSam wrote:
ginabeewell wrote:Here's a funny resource!

http://dev.haipump.com/haipumpfinder/

Not sure how up to date it is...?

This site was developed by a gentleman here in Missoula. I am part of a group of MBA students helping to further refine and update this list. We have been contacting every center in the US to find out who is or has done the procedure and who is using what devices.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I know Northwestern and U of Chicago have both recently got trained on the new Medtronic pump and are at least flushing them. Not sure if they have patients who get chemo there yet, but I know they both did do the Codman pump in the past.
49 YO mom of twins (11) lucky stepmom of 16/19 year olds
9/17/18 DX stage 4 CRC w inoperable liver mets CEA 931
Currently NED!

Join me on a lookback of my journey via my Strive for Five on Substack here:
https://ginajacobson.substack.com

All treatment details here:
https://www.weareallmadeofstars.net/col ... nt-journey

My favorite posts here:
https://weareallmadeofstars.net/favorite-posts

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”