Newly Diagnosed, Surgery Next Week

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
kellientulsa

Newly Diagnosed, Surgery Next Week

Postby kellientulsa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:28 pm

Hello! I am thankful for your thoughts and wish all of you the best of health!

I was diagnosed with a cancerous polyp in my sigmoid colon last month. I went for my colonoscopy after having blood in my stool and rectal pressure/pain for about two months. I ignored it a month longer than I should have :( The day of my colonoscopy, the doctor said he cut a 14mm polyp out and I was good to go! Three days later, he said the pathologist called him and it was cancerous. Fragmented in the sigmoid. Invaded the submucosa. Pedunculated with stalk. Tubulovillous Adenocarcinoma. My gastroenterologist "marked" the area last week and I am having a sigmoid colectomy next Wednesday. Hoping for laparoscopic/DeVinci Robot Assist.

Very scary and I am still in a whirlwind. Taking it one procedure/test at a time. Went for my pre-op yesterday. They gave me the Impact Recovery drink - three times a day. I am diabetic so I have to drink a little at a time. I am having issues with the drink. It is very thick and makes me nauseous. I am trying to drink what they told me to but I am very sick every time I drink it! Has anyone had a reaction like that? I compare it to Ensure and I can usually tolerate bad things but this one really upsets my stomach. Any thoughts?

I am also having severe anxiety about the anesthesia involved in my surgery. I am terrified of being put under that deep. I don't know why. Just irrational fears I guess. I have to do the Suprep the day before - not great but I did the same prep for my colonoscopy so I know what to expect. Taste sucked but it worked right away and gentle on my stomach which surprised me.

Thanks for your time and comments!

Kellie

rp1954

Re: Newly Diagnosed, Surgery Next Week

Postby rp1954 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:15 pm

We took several decisive actions at this point in the diagnosis-treatment chain to improve the odds, and it has paid off big time. My view is that these first days and weeks can be used more effectively to increase the odds of a cure, or in the bad scenarios, gain years of survival with less side effects.

We got extra blood tests, beyond the "standard of care", which you can buy yourself over the phone or internet (the most reliable way with the least aggravation or conflict!). The most important missing blood tests are CA199, LDH, 25 hydroxyvitamin D, but others I've listed before can help too. We also use some mild drugs for their anti-stem cell properties, and potent nutrients recommended by other doctors, beyond the ASCO/NCCN guidelines for improved odds and opportunities.

Please read my previous posts in "First Aid" for colorectal cancer - things you can do now, like we did for extra improvements and one time opportunities before surgery. We did these things and have gained extra years of continuing, high quality survival for my wife, at lower out of pocket costs.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

kellientulsa

Postby kellientulsa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks rp1954 I will research the additional blood work and check out the link.

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:02 pm

It is now harder to get LEF's 2010 and 2017 dosage recommendations for CRC pre-op from online sources.

The following link shows what we applied initially the first 4 weeks after diagnosis: Especially the cimetidine (Tagmet, available over the counter) before surgery. These are most of the supplements that we used for the weeks before surgery. The list is missing Modified Citrus Pectin powder, very high potency B complex (what might be called B300 in total dose - e.g. B100 tid - use brands with folinic acid (leucovorin), L5MTHF or natural folates for a vitamin B9 source, NOT common folic acid which is seriously incompatible with 5FU and also, MTHFR variant genetics), and still probably missing 1-2 minor supplements. Or use vitamin milkshakes or confections with handloaded vitamins.

Before second surgery we used about 30,000-40,000 iu vitamin D3 daily for even more immune modulation and response, with our D3 trained dr's knowledge, where she was clearly vitamin D deficient before cancer dx (see my previous D3 comments on more magnesium and MK4 type of vitamin K2 while avoiding excess calcium).
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”