New Diagnosis

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
goodsonp

New Diagnosis

Postby goodsonp » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Hello all,

As I am sure the same is true for most of you it is sad to be here but I am thankful there is a place to come with questions and to seek guidance. I am posting on behalf of a very dear friend. Her husband was recently diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. His disease is metastatic. The doctors have not found any major obstruction and so there is not a tumor present. In his colon the wall is thickening. I do not fully understand in depth what that means but there are small places in his lungs, kidneys, and liver. The doctor informed him that it is not terminal but also not curable. I take that to mean it is technically terminal but with treatment he is able to prolong his life significantly. Does anyone have any advice as the best places for treatment for advanced colon cancer?

MD Anderson and Sloan Kettering are both wonderful facilities but I would like to find out about other facilities that specialize in this specific cancer. Any information shared is greatly appreciated and I wish you all the best!!

Thank you,

Peyton

Deb m

Re: New Diagnosis

Postby Deb m » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:10 am

Has he had a colonoscopy. A ct scan usually terms it as "bowl wall thickening", which is in most cases where the tumor is. Can't be sure until a colonoscopy is done. as far as hospitals, I think you just mentioned the top two. My husband was not a stage iv so I'll let somebody else chime in with more specific information.

Gravelyguy

Re: New Diagnosis

Postby Gravelyguy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm

Those are two great places. If the live in the Midwest, I would add Mayo-Rochester to the list. They have been nothing but great for me.

Dave
6/17 dx mRC t3n1m1 very low rectal tumor 2 liver Mets 1.3 cm and .9 cm

6/17 begin 4 rounds Folfox w/Vectibix
9/17 short course radiation
10/17 rectal and liver resection LAR with coloanal anastomosis (no rectum left)
11/17-3/18 8 rounds Folfox
6/18 still NED!! Takedown
8/28/18 still NED! CEA .8 new low for me
10/18/18 colonoscopy clear
12/12/18 CEA .9 still NED!
6/11/19 CEA 1.0
12/19/19 CEA 1.0 still NED!
6/17/20 CEA 1.1 still NED!
12/15/20 CEA 1.1still NED!
12/16/21 CEA 1.2 still NED!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”