Femoral and inguinal hernia

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Coffee addict
Facebook Username: Jennifer Walsh

Femoral and inguinal hernia

Postby Coffee addict » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:52 am

:shock: I'm wondering why my Femoral and Inguinal hernias didn't show up on the CT, MRI and ultrasound testing I've had done over the years.

I am hoping that this is the right group to ask this question, thank you.

Lee

Re: Femoral and inguinal hernia

Postby Lee » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 pm

Not sure why either, butt to be honest, I did not need a CT or MRI to find my hernia. I have a permanent colostomy and over the years the hernia got more pronounced (bigger). About 3+ years ago I had a temporary repair, I went down 2 dress sizes. At some point, I will have my colostomy replaced on the other side of my stomach wall. That replacement will hopefully keep my hernia at bay for the rest of my life.

I am not overweight, butt I do exercise daily (power walker), my surgeon told me that is the problem (walking), but the benefits of walking out weight the negative of a hernia. Thus do not stop the power walking!!

What do your doctors say??

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:55 am

Coffee addict:
Often a hernia will “reduce” when lying supine and may be why your hernias do not show on imaging that has been done to date.

A hernia is basically a segment of intestine that protrudes through a deficit or weakness in the abdominal wall. Hernias can be a minor/mild out-pocketing of intestine that is barely noticeable to major/large protrusions that are the size of a cantaloupe (or larger). Contributing to formation of a hernia is often an outward pressure gradient in the abdomen (ex. obesity or carrying excessive weight around the abdominal mid-section; repeated coughing; lifting a heavy load without a conscious exhalation of breath).

Inguinal hernias are more common in men than women. Fetal development and the dropping of the testes/scrotum can leave an inherent weakness in the aponeurosis/body envelope where a segment of intestine later protrudes.

Wearing of a belly band or other compressive material (ex. wearing brief style underwear made of spandex or Lycra) can be helpful to keep a hernia from forming as well as in keeping an existing hernia from enlarging. The key is to provide an inward pressure gradient to the abdomen to counter the natural outward pressure gradient that exists due to gravity, internal organs, and abdominal fat stores.

Weight control is also a good means of limiting a hernia’s progression. Practicing purposeful exhalation during lifting or stressful physical exertion is also wise.

Lee, I have never heard of walking as being identified as contributing to parastomal or incisional hernias. Being upright and standing does contribute to the outward abdominal pressure gradient simply by virtue of the effects of gravity and the weight of abdominal organs and fat/adipose tissue. But certainly the benefits of walking theough maintaining a healthy weight is a stronger benefit of walking to limit/minimize a hernia than any adverse contribution. Walking, in and of itself, will not cause a hernia.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:50 pm

MissMolly wrote:Lee, I have never heard of walking as being identified as contributing to parastomal or incisional hernias. Being upright and standing does contribute to the outward abdominal pressure gradient simply by virtue of the effects of gravity and the weight of abdominal organs and fat/adipose tissue. But certainly the benefits of walking theough maintaining a healthy weight is a stronger benefit of walking to limit/minimize a hernia than any adverse contribution. Walking, in and of itself, will not cause a hernia.
Karen

Hi Karen, It's what my surgeon told me and yes I believe he is correct. What I do is more than just "walking", it's "power walking". I walk at a very fast pace for a good hour and more and yes I have read where high impact activities can contribute to these types of hernias. When I had that repair surgery, I was not allowed to "power walk" for 3 months, and even then spend another 3 months gradually increasing my speed. Regular walking was always okay.

We both agree (surgeon and I), this exercise is good for me, I enjoy it and have been doing it for 13+ years now. The benefits outweigh the hernia and my hernia is gradually coming back. At some point I will have my stoma place on the other side of my body. We are hoping that will carry me for the rest of my life.

Until then, one foot in front of the other.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”