Got both good news and scary news (HAI pump)

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
juliej

Re: Got both good news and scary news (HAI pump)

Postby juliej » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:13 pm

VeggieLvr wrote:I know I mentioned this in another response, but I really hope I can still eat avocados!

I live on the west coast. Avocados are daily food here - avocado toast for breakfast, on a salad for lunch, guacamole and chips, avocado+kale+pineapple+coconut smoothies -- you get the idea!!! :D

I have never had a problem eating them since my gall bladder was removed. I eat "healthy" fats, not fried foods, so that might make a difference. Thought you might want to know from a fellow avocado fan!

Juliej
Stage IVb, liver/lung mets 8/4/2010
Xelox+Avastin 8/18/10 to 10/21/2011
LAR, liver resec, HAI pump 11/2011
Adjuvant Irinotecan + FUDR
Double lung surgery + ileo reversal 2/2012
Adjuvant FUDR + Xeloda
VATS rt. lung 12/2012 - benign granuloma!
VATS left lung 11/2013
NED 11/22/13 to 12/18/2019, CEA<1

Foggyocean

Postby Foggyocean » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:40 am

How did your surgery go?
45 year old caregiver to Husband
DX 3/16: 3cm Adenocarcinoma of sigmoid colon, Grade 2
4/16: colon resection; Stage IIIc (at diagnosis), 6/42 nodes, CEA: 11, MSS, KRAS
5/16: Baseline CT & MRI show 4 liver mets, CEA: 99
5/16-1/17: 4x FOLFOX, liver resect, 8x FOLFOX
8/17: 1 liver met, CEA 46.5
10/17: HAI pump; FUDR + Folfiri Oct-Mar '18 w/Dr. K @MSK
1/18: SBRT to liver met; CURRENTLY NED CEA < 1

VeggieLvr

Postby VeggieLvr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:52 pm

juliej wrote:
VeggieLvr wrote:I know I mentioned this in another response, but I really hope I can still eat avocados!

I live on the west coast. Avocados are daily food here - avocado toast for breakfast, on a salad for lunch, guacamole and chips, avocado+kale+pineapple+coconut smoothies -- you get the idea!!! :D

I have never had a problem eating them since my gall bladder was removed. I eat "healthy" fats, not fried foods, so that might make a difference. Thought you might want to know from a fellow avocado fan!

Juliej

Thank you Juliej, that is good to hear and I really appreciate you letting me know!
F, 42, Stage IV CC
2/23/18 - colonoscopy/virtual colonoscopy, diagnosed CC
3/6/18 - left hemicolectomy, 12" removed, clear margins. Multiple mets to lymph nodes (removed), omentum & liver, 1 possible lung met
4/6/18 - port install
4/9/18 - Folfox (Oxaliplatin/Leucovorin/5FU) 4 rounds
6/19/18 - liver resection, HAI pump install
8/30/18 - Folfiri (Irinotecan/Leucovorin/5FU)
12/5/18 - Erbitux added
5/28/19 - 2nd liver resection/ablation

VeggieLvr

Postby VeggieLvr » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Foggyocean wrote:How did your surgery go?

Foggyocean it went well, thank you for asking! Although I am still in quite a bit of pain at the moment. I was discharged tonight, so I spent a total of five days in the hospital. I thought I would be there longer, but they felt I was well enough to be released and will recover faster at home. I have basically no appetite but am forcing myself to eat, which should be easier now that I don't have to deal with hospital food. Once I'm feeling better I will write a post about my experience and the pump they are using now in place of the discontinued Johnson & Johnson one.

I now know firsthand how much harder open surgery is than laparoscopic, it's definitely tough. But they did do a lot to me while they were in there too, with the liver resection, gall bladder removal and pump install, so it's definitely to be expected. My entire abdomen is sore, swollen and hurting a lot. I normally hate taking pain meds but they are my friends right now.

My surgeon wasn't able to resect all my liver mets, so I was told I will need another resection surgery at some point. However, he said that the ones he did resect had shrunken considerably from chemo, to the point that some of them were tough to find! And no mets were found in the surrounding areas, thank goodness. The pump install went well, I know where it is but can't actually see it through the skin at this point as my belly is so bloated. I keep joking that my belly looks like Frankenstein's monster. My mom has the same scars from her liver transplant last year so now we will be matching!
F, 42, Stage IV CC
2/23/18 - colonoscopy/virtual colonoscopy, diagnosed CC
3/6/18 - left hemicolectomy, 12" removed, clear margins. Multiple mets to lymph nodes (removed), omentum & liver, 1 possible lung met
4/6/18 - port install
4/9/18 - Folfox (Oxaliplatin/Leucovorin/5FU) 4 rounds
6/19/18 - liver resection, HAI pump install
8/30/18 - Folfiri (Irinotecan/Leucovorin/5FU)
12/5/18 - Erbitux added
5/28/19 - 2nd liver resection/ablation

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”