Rash after robotic LAR near incisions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lotus

Rash after robotic LAR near incisions

Postby Lotus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:20 am

Hello folks, you all helped me so much before my surgery and I am back hoping for help once more.

I had robotic LAR on April 16. Then roughly two weeks ago, about 6-7 weeks after surgery, red itchy raised bumps appeared near one of the incisions.....about an inch away. At first it was bright red and very itchy....it has faded in the past few days and is not itchy any more but is still there. I had fallen while walking and thought that poison ivy may have touched that area. Around the same time, tiny itchy red bumps appeared right next to each incision...touching each one. When I saw the surgeon, he said he thought I had poison ivy and should see a dermatologist.
When I asked him why there where red bumps next to other incisions, he dismissed it, said it was nothing. My belly button looks inflammed and aches, there has been redness and aching in the belly button since the beginning. Surgeon said that would get better. Surgeon was dismissive and made me feel like I was over reacting. He does not listen well.
Saw dermatologist two days ago, Monday. She said it looks like a delayed allergic reaction to the incisions, maybe the glue they used. As for the patch in between incisions that looks like poison ivy, she didn't know. She gave me a prescription for a mild steroid cream to use.
In addition, a new red patch appeared between incisions this morning next to the one that looks like poison ivy..... and there is general rash that looks like heat rash on my stomach above my belly button.....that one does not itch. I sleep with covers and through the night, that area of my body gets warmer and the itching is always worse through the night and early morning....that is when i noticed the general rash on my stomach....above and away from the incisions.
As a child, I had numerous allergies and got weekly shots. I am sensitive to gluten and different types of foods, soaps, chemicals,
medications....I have to watch everything I eat. I have tried to think of anything new that i have introduced .....I did start using a new soap but that was before the surgery and I didn't have a reaction then. My worst fear is that i am allergic to something they used inside of me....like the staples they used to attach my colon to my rectum. I do not have a bag. And no rash appeared until 6-7 weeks post surgery....Has any out there been through anything like this? I don't know where to turn. The surgeon has dismissed me. The dermatologist said it is a delayed reaction to the glue but doesn't know if i had poison ivy in the area near the incisions. I don't know where to turn....or what type of doctor to see. If you have been through this and have any suggestion for me, I would really appreciate it. thanks in advance..
female age 74
3/21/18Colonoscopy. Dx "rectal mass" colonic adenocarcinoma
3/22/18 Ct scan no metastatic disease
4/1/18 MRI shows left lateral wall thickening of the rectosigmoid junction originating app 13 cm. from the anal verge. Overall lesion 3.5 cm. No progressive adjacent adenopathy.
Depth T2 no lymph node spread.
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
5/21 CEA 1.1, up from .8, .9, <0.5 liver enzymes elevated
7/21 CEA 1.2

Caat55

Re: Rash after robotic LAR near incisions

Postby Caat55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 am

I got a rash on my butt, occasionally around stoma if I don't dry everything well after swimming or sweating. I have a steroid powder, nyastatin, which made all the difference.
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

Lotus

Postby Lotus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Caat55 wrote:I got a rash on my butt, occasionally around stoma if I don't dry everything well after swimming or sweating. I have a steroid powder, nyastatin, which made all the difference.

Thank you Caat55. Is the powder prescribed by doctor or can I get it over the counter?
female age 74
4/1/18 MRI shows left lateral wall thickening of the rectosigmoid junction originating app 13 cm. from the anal verge. Overall lesion 3.5 cm. No progressive adjacent adenopathy.
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
7/21 CEA 1.2

Caat55

Postby Caat55 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:01 pm

My stoma/wound care nurse recommended it, doctor agreed. It is worth seeing a regular doctor. It is much like athlete's foot according to wound care nurse.
S
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

SteveNZ

Postby SteveNZ » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:29 pm

I am sorry to here what you are going through.

I cannot be much help but share that for myself, that almost out of the blue, I started getting rashes/allergic reaction around plasters etc. And lasted quite a while!?

It seemed that some of the glues (which vary) on the various medical items they stick on you can do that. For example after each blood test the small circular plaster caused quite a rash so they changed to a tape with cotton wool. It sounds silly but that old fashioned thicker/gooier white glue found on woven tapes was the least hassle.

Thinking of you.
Aged 56 - I feel really young...
Colo-Rectal Cancer T2 N1 M0
March 2018 - Diagnosis
April-May 2018 Radiation+Chemo then a TIA (Minor Stroke). - Stopped Chemo.
August 27th-November 2018 - Surgery and long, long recovery
*Decided to live to 100 as I will get a telegram from Her Majesty the Queen when 100yrs old. I so, so want one.
Am a Salvation Army chap so I complete 'knee drill' (prayer) to the Commander in Chief often. For myself personally this helps me through.

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Lotus:
Nyastin powder is indicated to treat yeast/fungus overgrowth.

Yeast/fungus overgrowth can be a problem for individuals with a stoma where moisture/perspiration and excessive heat becomes trapped under the ostomy wafer (summer temperatures in a high humidity climate area; a labor intensive job that causes the body to overheat, such as a roofer or dry cleaner). Yeast/fungus around a stoma, as Catt55 mentioned, is the same as causes athlete’s foot.

Nyastin powder is a prescription product.

Yours sounds like a contact dermatitis or isolated sensitivity as you are theorizing to internal sutures or staples. Cortaid makes an over the counter 1% hydrocortisone spray that might ease the itch if yours is a limited skin/tissue irritation.

Do you have a copper sensitivity? Copper sensitivity can be expressed as skin inflammation and localized rash to internal medical staples.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Lotus

Re: Rash after robotic LAR near incis

Postby Lotus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm

MissMolly wrote:Lotus:
Nyastin powder is indicated to treat yeast/fungus overgrowth.

Yeast/fungus overgrowth can be a problem for individuals with a stoma where moisture/perspiration and excessive heat becomes trapped under the ostomy wafer (summer temperatures in a high humidity climate area; a labor intensive job that causes the body to overheat, such as a roofer or dry cleaner). Yeast/fungus around a stoma, as Catt55 mentioned, is the same as causes athlete’s foot.

Nyastin powder is a prescription product.

Yours sounds like a contact dermatitis or isolated sensitivity as you are theorizing to internal sutures or staples. Cortaid makes an over the counter 1% hydrocortisone spray that might ease the itch if yours is a limited skin/tissue irritation.

Do you have a copper sensitivity? Copper sensitivity can be expressed as skin inflammation and localized rash to internal medical staples.
Karen

I don’t know if I have copper sensitivity, I wrote an email to my oncologist today outlining what I wrote above. He wrote back that titanium is not allergenic so it would not be the staples. Do you know if titanium contains copper?
I know that I do have sensitivity to certain pierced earring metals. And if it’s the copper, im wondering why it would take 6 weeks to appear. The belly button though had been inflamed from the beginning. Do you or does anyone know if this may be treated? How do I find out if I have copper sensitivity? Would the solution require a second surgery?
Please if anyone knows anything more about this, can you suggest what i can do next? I am frightened.
female age 74
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
7/21 CEA 1.2

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Lotus:
I need to correct myself.

You would want to see if you have a nickel sensitivity, not copper. Nickel is sometimes added to the composite material that is used in surgical staples. Nickel.

Karen
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Lotus

Postby Lotus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 pm

I just want to add that all of the itchy rash is located in the skin that folds at my waist. When I stand there is no fold but I do spend most of my waking hours sitting. That makes me wonder if the rash is due to fungus or yeast and may be helped by the powder mentioned above. This started when the weather got hotter and more humid here.....there was no rash for the first 6-7 weeks.
female age 74
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
7/21 CEA 1.2

Lotus

Postby Lotus » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm

MissMolly wrote:Lotus:
I need to correct myself.

You would want to see if you have a nickel sensitivity, not copper. Nickel is sometimes added to the composite material that is used in surgical staples. Nickel.

Karen

Thanks Karen. Can you tell me if you have had experience with nickel sensitivity or know someone who has been through what is happening to me?
female age 74
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
7/21 CEA 1.2

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

Lotus wrote:I just want to add that all of the itchy rash is located in the skin that folds at my waist. When I stand there is no fold but I do spend most of my waking hours sitting. That makes me wonder if the rash is due to fungus or yeast and may be helped by the powder mentioned above. This started when the weather got hotter and more humid here.....there was no rash for the first 6-7 weeks.

Yeast/fungus overgrowth makes its home in warm, moist areas of the body. Example: Women with large breasts can have yeast colonize, especially during warm/humid weather. Skin folds under the armpit are another common site.

You can certainly entertain trying Nyastin (by prescription) or an over-the-counter yeast powder.

I, myself, have nickel sensitivity. I actually get a mild skin reaction when handling coins. My nickel sensitivity has symptoms similar to your description of what you are experiencing. For me, it includes: Tiny, raised bumps on the skin; redenning of the skin, like a sunburn; intense itching. The rash is transient. It flares when in contact with an item containing nickel and fades when there is no contact exposure.

People often first notice nickel sensitivity when wearing inexpensive jewelry (ex. a necklace or ear posts) with a contact rash.

Your post above gives credibility to yeast/fungus (rash in a warm skin fold precipitated by warmer weather with humidity).
Karen

erins

Postby erins » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 pm

I have very sensitive skin, so my surgeon warned me that I might have a reaction to the surgical glue. Sure enough, about 2 weeks post-surgery I got a red, bumpy rash near the incisions. It has spread beyond the incisions, since the glue is coming off now, but isn’t really itchy anymore—just a bunch of raised, red bumps. The doctor advised to just use gentle cleansing (basically because she was worried I’d be allergic to any cream she could give me :) ). If it’s the glue setting off the rash, then It should dissipate on its own as the glue sluffs off. My reaction started about 2 weeks after surgery, though, not 6 weeks later.

The rash in the skin folds sounds different, so that could be a yeast or fungal infection—especially since it’s been more than a month and coincided with humid weather. My friend had a similar sounding rash in the folds of her neck, and got a cream from her GP, but I don’t know the name of it...

I have a nickel allergy—For me nickel contact feels ‘fuzzy’ to my skin, it causes a rash very quickly, and if it’s more internal (like fillings or earrings) I get a headache. I’ve never had a rash last more than a day after nickel.

Since you’re still having issues, and your surgeon was so dismissive, I’d see your GP, or an urgent care doc—they can likely set your mind at ease and give you either a prescription for the possible yeast/fungal infection, or aim you towards a doctor who can help. Sorry you’re going thru this!
38 yr old female
Rectal bleeding for 1 month—>
5/4/18 colonoscopy found mass in sigmoid colon
5/21/18 LAR
stage 2a, 0/17 lymph, clean margins
T3N0M0 G1
LVI neg, PNI neg, MSS
9/21/18 CEA 0.8
11/16/18 CEA 0.8 & CT clear
12/7/18 iron infusion
2/1/18 iron improved, CEA stable.

boxhill

Postby boxhill » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:52 am

Titanium is an element, so by definition it does not contain other things. Of course, titanium is frequently used in alloy form, and those are by definition mixed with something else. Apparently nickel is rarely, if ever, used.

More than you ever wanted to know about surgical staples :) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_staple
F, 64 at DX CRC Stage IV
3/17/18 blockage, r hemi
11 of 25 LN,5 mesentery nodes
5mm liver met
pT3 pN2b pM1
BRAF wild, KRAS G12D
dMMR, MSI-H
5/18 FOLFOX
7/18 and 11/18 CT NED
12/18 MRI 5mm liver mass, 2 LNs in porta hepatis
12/31/18 Keytruda
6/19 Multiphasic CT LNs normal, Liver stable
6/28/19 Pause Key, predisone for joint pain
7/31/19 Restart Key
9/19 CT stable
Pain: all fails but Celebrex
12/23/19 CT stable
5/20 MRI stable/NED
6/20 Stop Key
All MRIs NED

Lotus

Postby Lotus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 am

boxhill wrote:Titanium is an element, so by definition it does not contain other things. Of course, titanium is frequently used in alloy form, and those are by definition mixed with something else. Apparently nickel is rarely, if ever, used.

More than you ever wanted to know about surgical staples :) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgical_staple

Thanks for that link, box hill. I can’t imagine that they would use a metal containing nickel because of the potential for allergic reaction or sensitivity. Since I posted this, I’ve talked to a dozen friends and at least half of them say they have a sensitivity to nickel!
female age 74
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
7/21 CEA 1.2

Lotus

Postby Lotus » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks to everyone who has taken time to post here. I really appreciate the feedback.
Update
Yesterday I saw my PCP and he concurs with the dermatologist. He recommended my continuing steroid cream. He did not think it was yeast or fungus so he recommends no powder for now. He also tested my blood for white blood cell count and that was normal. Today it is much better .....itching and redness almost completely gone after only two days of cream application. He said that if I were allergic to staples, rash would be MUCH worse.

I also have a sensitivity to gluten.....I usually avoid even gluten free grains because I never feel good after consumption.
But since my surgery, I was eating gluten free toast and egg for breakfast because I thought it would be easier to digest than my green smoothie....I eliminated the toast as soon as I saw the rash. I wonder if that may have been the culprit.
female age 74
Stage 1 t2n0
4/16/18 Robotic LAR
2019 colonoscopy normal
7/21 CEA 1.2

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”