Worried Daughter

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
emkaye

Re: Worried Daughter

Postby emkaye » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:39 am

Thought I'd post an update on mom.
We saw the surgeon on Monday. Surgery (right helicolectomy) is planned for Tuesday, June 12th.
He is hoping to complete surgery laproscopically but may need to open her up all the way depending upon what he sees.
Will remove lymph nodes with surgery and then we wait for biopsy/pathology report to determine if it has spread to lymph node/surrounding tissue/organs.
Mom loves the surgeon. We live in a small town in PA (close to a major research hospital) but she prefers to stay at our local hospital which is 10 minutes from home.
The surgeon is board certified in colo-rectal surgery so I know she is in good hands. God will take care of the rest.
Thanks again to everyone. I will keep you posted once we know more.

dauofcamom

Postby dauofcamom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Sounds like your Mom is in very good hands, between you and her surgeon. Will be praying for you both.
Long Distance Caregiver to 75 year old Mom
3/2018 - colonoscopy, DX malignant cecum mass
4/2018 - right hemi
Stage IIIC - T4bN1aM0
MSI High
5/2018 - Xelox Regime
10/2018 - peri Mets discovered
10/2018 - Start Keytruda every 3 weeks
12/2018 - scan all clear

emkaye

Postby emkaye » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Update on mom.
She had surgery today. The surgeon removed what he called a "large mass" from her colon. He was able to complete the surgery laproscopically. He said the surgery was "tricky" because the colon was adhered to the abdominal cavity. Not sure if that means the mass actually grew outside of the colon or not. He is unsure. When he removed the lymph nodes he said there were several enlarged nodes nearby but he said to wait for the pathology report to come back. He's seen enlarged nodes that were negative and vice versa so again we wait...

On a brighter note. Mom is recovering extremely well. She refused the morphine pump and the nurses are astonished at how well she is doing. She is smiling and feeling no pain. Just loopy which can be expected from anesthesia and narcotics.

I pray that she keeps her spirits up. Up until the surgery she was barely eating or sleeping because she was so stressed.
Now we wait for the pathology report.

On a different note, this whole experience has brought our entire family closer together. The nurses and physicians have been so warm and caring. Through it all I'm trying to look for the silver lining and I think I've found it. I know the road ahead may be rough especially if she needs chemo but God will get us through this.

Thank you to everyone on this forum. You've truly been a blessing to me!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”