Possible for long term remission with only chemo?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Possible for long term remission with only chemo?

Postby Robino1 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:25 pm

Or am I doomed to die?

This is weighing heavily on my mind lately. I constantly hear cure can only be achieved by cutting out the cancer. In my case, HIPEC would be my only solution to cutting out the cancer or do I have any other options to research?

HIPEC is only successful in a very small percentage.

So, is it possible to reach long term remission by chemo alone? Thinking about chemo for life... my hands are truly not liking that option.

When the beginning of this latest journey had me at 12 sessions of chemo, I was naive and thought cancer would be gone by then and I'd resume my life. HA! What a dope I was. I've just finished 16 and I don't see an end in sight.

God I HATE this disease. So much pain and angst that we all go through. Losing loved ones, facing the possibility of dying. Seeing so many fight so fucking hard but not winning.

When will they finally get a handle on this???? Hell, there has been no cure for any disease since Polio. Are the drug companies really that greedy?

Sorry for the rant. I'm truly curious if it is possible to go into LONG term remission through chemo only...
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

zephyr

Re: Possible for long term remission with only chemo?

Postby zephyr » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks for asking this question. I have the same concerns about my inoperable lung mets. I started on Folfox, then 5fu/Avastin, then just 5fu and everything was running smoothly until it all stopped working. Then I was switched to Folfiri. I added Vitamin C IVs and quercetin to the mix but whether or not it's all working won't be known for another month. I'm tired, so tired of it all. On the bright side (sort of), it's an interesting change of pace trying to figure out how to GAIN weight. :D
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

Achilles Torn

Postby Achilles Torn » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

Robino1 wrote: So, is it possible to reach long term remission by chemo alone? Thinking about chemo for life... my hands are truly not liking that option.

When will they finally get a handle on this???? Hell, there has been no cure for any disease since Polio. Are the drug companies really that greedy?

Sorry for the rant. I'm truly curious if it is possible to go into LONG term remission through chemo only...

Short answer to your first question is - Yes. There are examples of long term complete remissions from Chemo in CRC. So there is always hope....that being said it is so rare that doctors tend to be amazed and publish about it when it happens. There are even a few inspirational stories from members here.

To your second question and even more reason for hope - There are a number of Cancers that used to hold as dire a prognosis as ours that now have substantial survival/cure rates through drug treatment. For all these diseases there was a time when patients in a similar position as us thought they had no options but were able to live long enough to get the new treatment and are still alive and well today....this could happen for you as well.

(Regarding drug companies - it is actually greed that fuels the development of cures as they command huge profits if discovered. The idea that they are intentionally avoiding the cure is unfounded and, quite frankly, illogical. There are many problems with the profit motive, but it has driven discovery and development beyond an interest in the public good (sadly)...)

While our reality is grim there is certainly some room for hope.

AT
Diagnosed as 40 yo Male. BC Canada. Sigmoid Colectomy Dec. 2016
Pathology T3N2bM1 19 of 24 Nodes Positive + tumour deposits
PET scan - Para-Aortic and Iliac Lymph node spread. Stage VI.
Moderately differentiated. MSS. KRAS/BRAF Wild.
Mutations: TP53, ERBB4, MLL3, PDCD1LG2, PRKDC, SMAD3
FOLFOX + Bevacizumab Commenced Jan 9/2017 PET Scan July 2017 - on maintenance 5FU/Bev every 2 weeks.
Progression after Covid19 induced break June 2020. Resume Maintenance chemo of Capecitabine and Bev

benben

Postby benben » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:20 pm

Anything is possible, even long term remission via Chemo.

There is always reason for Hope - Robin.

Immunotherapies as well as Nanobot targeting are making progress.

Keep the faith, look for the magic of life in every moment, and Hold on to Hope.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:35 pm

So you had a colon resection and everything looked good and there were no lymph nodes involved and then later it had spread to other places? Could you please go through your journey for me? After your colon resection, how long did doctors wait before they had you do CT scans or colonoscopies? How did you find out the cancer had spread and how long was that from the time that you had a colon resection? I am so very sorry. This journey is so exhausting mentally and physically. My heart goes out to you as I can tell that you are really sad about the thought that chemo might not be enough and that you might have to be on it much too long. :cry:
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 am

AlexMichelle wrote:So you had a colon resection and everything looked good and there were no lymph nodes involved and then later it had spread to other places? Could you please go through your journey for me? After your colon resection, how long did doctors wait before they had you do CT scans or colonoscopies? How did you find out the cancer had spread and how long was that from the time that you had a colon resection? I am so very sorry. This journey is so exhausting mentally and physically. My heart goes out to you as I can tell that you are really sad about the thought that chemo might not be enough and that you might have to be on it much too long. :cry:

This is my story:

Robino1 wrote:Hello

I've been lurking for a few months and decided to create an account to answer a question. So here is my introduction.

I was diagnosed with colon cancer on my very first colonoscopy at age 53. Surgery to remove the right ascending and resection done. All margins were clear, no chemo prescribed. Got a twofer out of the deal. Appendix is gone, never have to worry about having an appendix attack :D

It wasn't a mass, just a largish area that was a different color.

So I do the routine blood every xx months, next colonoscopy all clear etc. A couple of years doing this and I get lax. Never entered my thinking that anything would present itself and I assumed that I was cancer free for life. We get busy with life and had our new house built so I skipped out on my blood checks.

Now it's three years later, I'm 56

So Mother's Day

That weekend I fly north and the first night extreme pain in my abdomen. Distended belly. I'm think probable blockage...
get home on Mother's Day and pain still comes every so often. Hubby says ER! Ok, off we go.

CT scan shows seeding in my omentum and caking on my liver. Shit! They say the 'C' word. Again.

They want to keep me and do a laparoscopic diagnosis. I refuse and say I want my surgeon to do it. They release me after calling my surgeon. He's not affiliated with the hospital I went to the ER.

Diagnosis confirmed. Cancer on the omentum causing fluid to buil in my abdomen. Ascites. New words for me. :(
Stage 4
Not operable, chemo required.

I looked like I was 5-6 months pregnant.

Oncologist selected, port placed, PET scan done.
First CEA 217
Second CEA just before first chemo 219

The ascites causes major pressure on all organs. Can't fill up the tummy with food. I always feel full and uncomfortable. Walking puts almost unbearable pressure on my ovaries and other organs.
I ask the oncologist just before my 1st chemo (I like her and she took the time to answer all my questions I had written) when will the ascites start to go away? The Avastin will help with that and it should start workin after the first or second dose. I have to wait until the second chemo round before getting the Avastin since it is a blood thinner and I was still recovering from the surgery. She said she could drain it butt I decided against that and wait it out. I was tired of being poked.

Second chemo: Avastin introduced to the mix. Yes! It worked! Belly is now normal. It took about 4 days after its introduction butt it worked.

I've now had 4 rounds and the last CEA 202. I had wished it was a lot lower butt there is a downward drop so I guess that's good...

Next PET scan scheduled for the 29th. I'm scared butt hopeful.

Fighting with the ins company on getting the markers. The one thing I do know, it's not genetic. That's good news. It's not something that I passed to my kids.

Theory is that when the section of colon was removed, some cells leaked out into my abdomen. Hence the seeding. Unusual and unlucky.

Nice 8)

I have the usual side effects: cold sensitivity in the hands and drinking cold things. First bite that happens each damn time I go to eat if I've let a couple of hours go between eating. 5FU has its own little side effect that I call nasty mouth syndrome. Asked my onc about it and she prescribed Magic Mouthwash. Works like a charm. Takes about 4 days and all is well in my mouth again.

I've already had to have the Oxi reduced. Third round created a bit of a scare. Left wrist went numb and while I was saying something to the nurse, my tongue didn't want to work right. Blood pressure checked 191/86. Checked for any stroke symptoms. Smile symmetrical, made sure I had the same strength on each side. It went away after about 15 minutes. Scary though.

4th round: no scary shit happened: :)

This 5th round coming up will be just before an already planned trip. Going north for oldest grandchilds hischool graduation party. So blood wrk will be taken, Avastin and one push of 5FU, no pump this time. No Oxi so I don't have side effects for the time I'm gone. 10 days of relative normalness (is that even a word?) ;)

Long term... like the onc says, let's just get me into remission and we can talk about getting me somewhere that will possibly get this out of me. She did say it won't be around here. Good, I want someone that specializes in where this cancer is in my body.

So that's me in a nutshell.

I'm an optimistic, positive person. After the first initial emotional breakdown, I'm in for the fight. I will beat this again.

Lesson to all, do not let your guard down. Keep getting your blood work done or whatever the docs say to do. I f'd up and am now fighting harder than I had to.

I thought I had it licked. I didn't.
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Your story made me want to cry. How disheartening. My family member, who is a doctor, said that it is always a concern when they are removing cancer, that some of it could leak out during the surgery. I'm so sorry. That is why when my surgeon said he was doing open surgery, my family member (doctor) was happy about that because he said there was less chance of leakage.... Who knows. So when you were first diagnosed, you were obviously Stage 1, so chemotherapy was not recommended. You were exactly in the same boat that I am now where I am stage 1b, chemo not recommended, but I'm afraid that it could have been spread before or during surgery. Before you were on the plane and started having that pain, had you felt exhausted or loss of appetite? I'm so sorry. I can completely understand why you thought you were cancer free. Are you in much pain now? Have you lost too much weight? I'm glad you wrote out your story and reposted it here. Thank you
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

Shana

Postby Shana » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm

I hear you loud and clear, Robin and I echo your concerns in my head all the time but we have to keep fighting because that breakthrough can happen any day!

I talked to my oncologist about Hipec and I am not a candidate for it because of my intolerance for 5FU. They use FUDR which she agreed that I couldn't handle. As I understood, she said that there were other options possible depending on my response to chemo. Shrinking the tumors, resecting liver if we could eliminate the other tumors and what was left was in one lobe and then she mentioned RFA and SBRT. Keep in mind that there was a time where these treatments did not exist yet so YES there is hope that something new and successful is just around the corner.

I get where your head is at, mine goes there all the time. I want a break from all of this but I see no end in sight either so I just carry on because that's what I must do.

Hugs!!

Shana
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:52 am

AlexMichelle wrote:Your story made me want to cry. How disheartening. My family member, who is a doctor, said that it is always a concern when they are removing cancer, that some of it could leak out during the surgery. I'm so sorry. That is why when my surgeon said he was doing open surgery, my family member (doctor) was happy about that because he said there was less chance of leakage.... Who knows. So when you were first diagnosed, you were obviously Stage 1, so chemotherapy was not recommended. You were exactly in the same boat that I am now where I am stage 1b, chemo not recommended, but I'm afraid that it could have been spread before or during surgery. Before you were on the plane and started having that pain, had you felt exhausted or loss of appetite? I'm so sorry. I can completely understand why you thought you were cancer free. Are you in much pain now? Have you lost too much weight? I'm glad you wrote out your story and reposted it here. Thank you

No, before the pain I did not have loss of appetite. I was trying to lose weight since my belly (what I thought was fat) wouldn't go away. Energy level has never gone down nor has fatigue reared its head. Only at the very beginning of chemo did I feel fatigued. I fought through it and haven't had it since.

I do not have any pain from the cancer as of now. Once the ascites was gone, no more pain. For now I am dealing with pealing skin on my hands from the treatment.

I'm managing to maintain my weight. I weigh myself every evening and if I feel I am a pound low, I eat some almonds or a snack to help combat the natural weight we lose overnight. I lose about 2 pounds overnight. I try to be at least 132 before sleeping. My weight fluctuates between 128 and 130 which is a good weight for my frame.

Rarely am I in a 'dark place' in my thoughts and feelings. I think that with the no end in sight finally just got to me.

I'm still hopeful for this shit to go away. Hell, someone has to get lucky and have chemo actually work to get rid of this crap....why not me? ;)

I'm still fighting, I'm still determined and my positivity has come back.

I just found out that I had some skin cancer. I had a spot that the dermatologist took off and it came back positive. I get to go back in and have them dig until he gets clean cells. Not aggressive but could spread to other organs (like I need more spread, right?!?) if not taken care of. So I'm going in to have that done next week. I wonder if that caused the spikes in my CEA... Oh hell, I'm going to think positive and run with that theory of mine. :D

It is funny that I only had a small, only .6 spike, since the spot was removed. Not the larger spikes I've been having. Will be interesting to see what my CEA does after this is taken care of.

We went to see a Beatles tribute band last night. It was Fantastic! I danced and danced. We went out to dinner beforehand and I treated myself to one alcoholic beverage. It was nice to get out and just let loose. If anything, I just want to live life and try not to think about all this. I succeed for a majority of the time. :)

Fight and keep on fighting. But don't totally lose yourself in the fight. It's hard, I know, but while we are living, we NEED to be in the moment. Try to take pleasure in the sunshine, the spring that is just around the corner. I will have a bunch of family coming at the end of this month. I am determined to make memories for THEM that don't involve my cancer. I am going to play with my grandchildren and tickle them unmercifully :twisted: Might even throw a couple of them into the pool (the ones that can tolerate that and can swim). BWAHAHAHAHA!

Live life
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
BRAF V600e

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:01 am

Shana wrote:I hear you loud and clear, Robin and I echo your concerns in my head all the time but we have to keep fighting because that breakthrough can happen any day!

I talked to my oncologist about Hipec and I am not a candidate for it because of my intolerance for 5FU. They use FUDR which she agreed that I couldn't handle. As I understood, she said that there were other options possible depending on my response to chemo. Shrinking the tumors, resecting liver if we could eliminate the other tumors and what was left was in one lobe and then she mentioned RFA and SBRT. Keep in mind that there was a time where these treatments did not exist yet so YES there is hope that something new and successful is just around the corner.

I get where your head is at, mine goes there all the time. I want a break from all of this but I see no end in sight either so I just carry on because that's what I must do.

Hugs!!

Shana

Yes, we do carry on. We continue because the alternative is not on our radar ;)

{{{hugs}}}} back at ya!!! :D
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
BRAF V600e

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am

This 5th round coming up will be just before an already planned trip. Going north for oldest grandchilds hischool graduation party. So blood wrk will be taken, Avastin and one push of 5FU, no pump this time. No Oxi so I don't have side effects for the time I'm gone. 10 days of relative normalness (is that even a word?) ;)

Why just the 5FU bolus/push? 5FU is the least toxic chemo when given over a long time like the 46 hour pump. 5FU stays in the body for a very short time, so the bolus is gone within an hour (probably much less time). 5FU is cell cycle dependent, so it works on cancer cells during mitosis. Having the 46 hour pump would allow the 5FU to get to many more cancer cells. My past oncologist said the 5FU works on about 5% of cancer cells in the 46 hours. That's not much, but it can add up. Common sense tells me that the bolus would work on many fewer cancer cells. I may be wrong on some of this, but this is my understanding.
MSS, KRAS Wild NRAS Mutated
9/2012 CRC IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 Spread to uterus. Hysterectomy
2/16 Pelvic radiation 25, brachytherapy 3
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules 5 mm
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux
8/17 5FU+Erbitux No 5FU bolus
7/18 Spread to vagina
6/18 Folfiri + Avastin + Trametinib
6/18 CEA dropping

Robino1

Postby Robino1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am

mypinkheaven wrote:

Why just the 5FU bolus/push? 5FU is the least toxic chemo when given over a long time like the 46 hour pump. 5FU stays in the body for a very short time, so the bolus is gone within an hour (probably much less time). 5FU is cell cycle dependent, so it works on cancer cells during mitosis. Having the 46 hour pump would allow the 5FU to get to many more cancer cells. My past oncologist said the 5FU works on about 5% of cancer cells in the 46 hours. That's not much, but it can add up. Common sense tells me that the bolus would work on many fewer cancer cells. I may be wrong on some of this, but this is my understanding.

I don't know why my oncologist just did the push of 5FU. I remember I told her I didn't want the oxaliplatin just before traveling the next day. We flew out that Friday, I had the appointment that Thursday just before flying. Maybe she did it just to get something in my system.
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
BRAF V600e

orlar

Postby orlar » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:00 pm

Hi Robin, I've never really told my story so the quick version of surgery 06/17, discovered FOLFOX totally failed with 1st post treatment CT scan -12/17 mets to liver/lungs. After scheduling 2nd opinion, PET scan and a break all came back to starting FOLFIRI+Avastin 02/18. Two days after 1st FOLFIRI treatment, discussed the Pet results with ONC, which sucked (nodules of 2.7cm omentum, over 2cm bilateral retroperitoneum nodules, uptake along right iliac, liver lesion almost doubled and added a 2nd 2.6cm lesion, bilateral lung nodules up to 1.4cm). Talk about taking the air out of my sails.

I was able to visit extended family during my break and some cool and scenic sites. I schedule things in the shorter term for now (looking forward to nephew and his kids visiting in a week), but really try to value each day. With the support of family, friends and the wonderful people on this forum, I still plan for the long-haul and chemo working.

All this gets me to saying I'm an optimistic realist hoping long term chemo will work, but knowing what the outcome can be. Someone has to be in the good response group so why not you or me! And with a good response, who knows what opportunities lie ahead with treatments and trials. Keep the Faith!

Larry
56yo male DX 5/17, Right Hemi colectomy 6/17
Stage 3c 12 of 21 LN
7/17-12/17 Folfox(no Oxi round 9-12)
12/17 liver/lung mets-Stage 4 MSS KRAS G13D
2/18 liver doubled to 8.5cm+new met, lung mets to 1.4cm, multi peri/omen
2/18-7/18 Folfiri+Avastin(no 5FU after C2)
4/18 mets shrinking
7/18 liver/lung mets growing, Folfiri stopped
10/18 In Clinical Trial
CEA 5/17-16.2, 12/17-16.1, 02/18-43.0, 3/18-16.9, 4/18-9.0, 5/18-5.5, 6/18-6.9, 7/18-7.8, 9/18-56

zephyr

Postby zephyr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:37 pm

orlar wrote:All this gets me to saying I'm an optimistic realist hoping long term chemo will work, but knowing what the outcome can be. Someone has to be in the good response group so why not you or me! And with a good response, who knows what opportunities lie ahead with treatments and trials. Keep the Faith!

Nice outlook. Thanks, Larry.
Nov-2009 Early stage CRC, routine colonoscopy
2010-2014 F/U colonoscopies, all clear
Jun-2016 CRC during F/U colonoscopy, surgery, Stage 4, KRAS, MSS
Aug-2016-May-2018 Folfox, 5FU, Folfiri & Avastin
Aug/Sep-2018 YAG laser surgeries (Germany), 11 nodules removed
Nov-2018 clean CT scan
Mar-2019 New lung nodules
Apr-2019 Dec-2020 Xeloda/Avastin, SBRT, cont. Xeloda/Avastin
Mar-2021 Forfiri/Avastin
Mar-2022 Ablation & Thoracotomy
Feb-2023 Folfiri & Avastin
Nov-2023 Xeloda & Avastin

recruiter
Facebook Username: Bill Wilson

Postby recruiter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:43 pm

My onc has a saying: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might be.
DX Stage 4 2/16 with lung mets
4/16 CT, PET show "marked improvement" in size and number of lung mets, rectal tumor.
8/16 "Great report" from scans, lung mets continue to shrink in size and number, CEA 1.6, cancer "in remission" but surgeon believes tumor remains too large.
10/16 Xrays for constipation problems reveal tumor occupies 25 percent of rectal canal: Occupied 80 percent upon diagnosis 2/16
12/16 Back on Avastin; tumor can be removed, but need better margins.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”