3 Month Post Treatment Update

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
benben

3 Month Post Treatment Update

Postby benben » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 pm

Hi All.

Wanted to share my progress.
I gave a 1 month update and wow, time has been cruising by.
Technically my 3 months would have been Jan 26th, but I've been busy - which is good.
Hopefully those that are still in treatment can expect the same or even better outcomes (at least so far).

16th of Jan. Blood test and visit Onc.
Blood tests all came back exceptionally well. WBC in the 7800 range, platelets, RBC all really well.
Liver enzymes well in the normal ranges. CEA was still (unfortunately) slightly above the norm at 3.0, but this is down from 3.7 last treatment (so still on downward trend).
Onc wants a scope within 2 months. So I've got that and port flush scheduled later in the month.

Bowel movements - mostly normal. Every couple of weeks it seems I still have some looser than normal BM's - bordering on diarrhea. But is usually only for a day or so.
I feel like I can go places, travel, etc - without too much concern. If I feel there is any reason for concern - I'll pop half an Imodium and I'm good for at least 12 hours.
I do notice certain foods will have a laxative effect. Dairy, especially in the form of milk. I can't do - must use lactose free milk. Too much gluten can also wreak havoc (moderation seems ok).
Nightshades (potatoes in moderation seem ok).

Energy levels (GREAT). Pretty much all the way back to normal on the energy front.

I continue to lift weights and walk/run/bike 2+ miles per day. No pain to speak of.

Neuropathy <- I know this is a big one for a lot of people, post treatment. My neuropathy has continued to decrease.
It's to the point where I don't really notice it at all except for my hands in hot water or in my feet after an extended distance of running - but both remain mild and seem to continually subside.

While I have been very busy with work related things, I finally found some time to do an activity that I've enjoyed for a long time now - Snow Boarding.
This weekend I made it up to Mission Ridge. It was a brilliantly sunny day. The only thing that could have made it better would have been some fresh powder, but the main fairs were pretty well groomed - so it made for an excellent day. My body faired quite well. I made 13 runs which is pretty close to what I would normally do. I experienced no tiredness or soreness the day of. My legs did feel a bit sore the next day, but nothing out of the ordinary. I found the day not only pleasurable in that it was gorgeous and fun boarding - but found some renewed faith that progression towards normalcy was within reach. Some sense of self assurance.

I wish everyone health and happiness!
Never give up!
Much love, as always!

I took some pics!

----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Re: 3 Month Post Treatment Update

Postby Robino1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Awesome! Great pictures also!!
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Caat55

Postby Caat55 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Impressive, both you and the snow. Great to hear good news
S
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20

retiredteacher

Postby retiredteacher » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Inspiring! Thanks for the update!

Terri
RC F 63 9/17
Adeno 7 cm MSS G2 PET
T3N0M0
2.5K Cap/RT x 25
"Near complete response" PET 1/18
CEA 0.5 10/17, 0.6 10/18
MRI 2/18 yT2N0 12 cm fr AV 3 cm
LAR 2/18 yT1N0M0 0/21 G1 0.3 cm
CAPEOX 3/18, reduced to 80% at cycle 3
Completed 4 cycles; stopped, gut issues, liver enzymes
CT/ colonoscopy 11/18 NED
4/19 NED Sacral fractures/osteoporosis
"Caregiver" to the Iron Man
Hubby CRC Stage 3 2004 NED, Small Cell Lung Cancer Limited 2011 NED, Non-small Cell Lung Cancer 2019 NED October 2019

Shana

Postby Shana » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Great news and great pics! Sounds like life is good and i am so happy for you!

Hugs and rainbows :D
DX - 12/16
MSS - KRAS wild
Well-differentiated adenocarcinoma at splenic flexure
Stage IV CC with liver mets
5FU - Failed twice - 1/17 and 3/17
Irinotecan + Cetuximab: 8/17
Irinotecan and Erbitux ran it's course. CEA rising
Primary tumor invaded tail of pancreas and spleen. Liver mets major concern
Y-90 radioembolization on 9/17/18, liver enzyymes have dropped. 10 Radiation treatments to primary tumor completed too. CT scan Nov to assess overall situation...

benben

Postby benben » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Ladies :)

I made it up again this last weekend for another round. More fresh snow and was happy to have my son along.
With him we only made 11 runs. He said he was really sore afterwards, while I didn't feel much at all. LOL that 18 year old needs to get some more exercise in.

On another front.
I've got my first post op - post chemo - scope scheduled.
March 13th. I'm hoping everything comes back squeaky clean, it'd be a big relief. At least for another couple months for my next CT Scan.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Benben, when you say scope are you referring to colonoscopy? You had surgery? How often are you scheduled for colonoscopies and ct scans. My colonrectal resection was November 9, 2017 and my Oncologist wants to wait one year for both CT scan and colonoscopy which I think is too long to wait and let things possibly grow. I feel like I need to be proactive. My 43 year old mother complained of bad headaches many years ago, the doctor told her it was stress. I took her to another doctor where she was diagnosed with malignant brain tumor and only lived a few weeks. So I know why I feel like I must be as proactive as possible, but also want the proper care. Congrats to you!
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

benben

Postby benben » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:33 pm

AlexMichelle wrote:Benben, when you say scope are you referring to colonoscopy? You had surgery? How often are you scheduled for colonoscopies and ct scans. My colonrectal resection was November 9, 2017 and my Oncologist wants to wait one year for both CT scan and colonoscopy which I think is too long to wait and let things possibly grow. I feel like I need to be proactive. My 43 year old mother complained of bad headaches many years ago, the doctor told her it was stress. I took her to another doctor where she was diagnosed with malignant brain tumor and only lived a few weeks. So I know why I feel like I must be as proactive as possible, but also want the proper care. Congrats to you!

Hello AlexMichelle, you have every reason to be proactive and concerned given your life experience. I'm sincerely sorry for your loss, that could have in no way been easy.

For me, my surgery was April 17th of 2017. I had my first CT scan right before my last adjuvant chemotherapy session. I think the normal at my center is to have the CT-Scan within a couple weeks post chemo, but my CEA was running slightly above normal (3.7 at one point - it is still running 3.0 at my last blood draw 8 weeks ago). My CT-Scan came back clear, with just some fatty tissue build up near the section of Colon they removed from my stomach/intestines in order to make the stretch given the 8 inches of combined colon/rectum they had removed. This will be my first scope (yes colonoscopy) since shortly before my surgery. So it's my first annual colonoscopy. If I recall correctly my post treatment follow ups will be - port/flush or blood draw every 6 weeks. So CBC/CEA checked every 3 months. CT-Scan at end of chemo and another 6 months following. Colonoscopies - 1 each year for 3 years - provided all is good with those scopes can move to 3-5 year scopes. CT Scans at 2 and 3 years as well. If my scope is clean and my next CT-scan is also clean then I can remove the port. Looking forward to that :). If I were in your shoes I would push for another scan at the least. Colonoscopies are usually not done during chemotherapy. The colon needs some time to heal from the chemo. Platelet and neutrophil counts take some time to get back up as well.

Best of Luck to you.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Benben, thank you so much for your explanations. So extremely helpful. I did not have chemo, which I guess I should be happy about, but I just have a horrible suspicion that I should have had chemo because I just don't feel good and I'm concerned the cancer was already in other cells. I had 6 inches of colon and rectum removed and it had grown into some of the muscle but the surgeon felt as if he got it all, with clear margins, and they removed 15 Lymph nodes which were all clear. They say I am stage 1B, determined from the surgery pathology. My CEA was only 1 when I had the malignant tumor still inside of me so that is not a good indicator for me. If I felt better, I would not be so concerned. I have always been a very high-energy person and right now I have no energy, combined with severe pain in the bone of my leg, as well as the open surgery wound not healing. When I see the oncologist on Friday, I am going to push for a CT scan. I know that they don't like to do them very often due to the radiation risk. Wish I knew what tests would rule out that the cancer has gone into the bone or the blood. Thank you so much for your helpful response
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”