Scared about bowel issues

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
collins89

Scared about bowel issues

Postby collins89 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:06 am

A little back history. I am 28 year old female and ive had bowel issues for as long as I can remember. At 16, I had bleeding with bowel movements and told it was hemmorhoids/fissures. Continued off and on for many years until 3 years ago it was a lot of blood and bloating. My PCP referred me to a gastro doc and I had a colonoscopy. It came back that they removed a few polyps which were sent to a lab and benign. I also had internal hemmorhoids and fissures. I started taking a stool softener and my issues mostly went away with only occasional bleeding wirh a hard bowel movement.

Fast forward to now... I gave birth to my first child 17 months ago. Since her birth ive had stomach pains specifically on my left side. I ignored it as it wasn't severe (just constant) and I figured having a baby just really shifted stuff in there. I've also seen a return in bleeding with going, but that has been an issue for years so I ignored it. Last week, I went to restroom just to pee and mucusy clots came out with gas. No poop. This continued for about a 48 hour period and seems to have stopped (though blood still present with bms). I freaked out and called my GI doctor whim I am seeing tomorrow.

I guess I'm just really nervous. I have a young child and wondering what's going on with me. In addition to bleeding ive been dealing with low iron, sometimes constipation and sometimes diarrhea irregular shape and size bowel movements (again not that uncommon for me), constant nausea and pain. The pain and neausa are new and not something I experienced when seeing a doctor 3 years ago.

When I go tomorrow, what do I need to push for? Another colonoscopy? I already had a CBC which besides my iron was normal.

AussieAssCancer

Re: Scared about bowel issues

Postby AussieAssCancer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:25 pm

Welcome to the forum but sorry you had to find us.

You certainly did the right thing by making an appointment to see your doc.

I would definitely recommend demanding another colonoscopy. There are a bunch of different things that could be causing your symptoms and the best way to rule all the common and nastiest ones is with a scope.

CRguy will tell you the same - Do not take ‘No’ for an answer.

Get the scope and then come back and tell us the good news!

AAC
Dx Oct '15 w/ Stage 3c RC/ CEA 8
Nov '15 - Jan '16: 3x FOLFOX and 5wks Chemoradiation w/ Xeloda
March '16: ULAR w/ temp ileostomy
Complete pathological response incl 0/12 nodes
May - Aug '16: 9x FOLFOX (dropped Oxaliplatin for final Rd due to neuropathy)
Clear CT scans in April ‘16 (NED), Dec ‘16, Aug ‘17, Feb ‘18, March ‘19, Feb ‘20
Feb '17: Ileostomy reversed
CEA Post Surgery: ALWAYS 2

Blog: kickingrectalcancerintheassblog
https://kickingrectalcancerintheassblog.wordpress.com/

Pemba

Re: Scared about bowel issues

Postby Pemba » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:10 pm

When You have A colon that producere polyps You shoud be on a regular schedule for colonoscopys, normally either 1,3, or 5 years depending on the former polyp report and this will happen for the rest of your life.

If you mention to your doc that you had polyps it should be a no brainier to sent you in for a colonoscopy ASAP.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”