IBD/ sessile serrated adenoma

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Yonaka33
Facebook Username: Angela.yonak@gmail.com.

IBD/ sessile serrated adenoma

Postby Yonaka33 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm

I am new to this forum.
I am 41yrs old, I've had left sided UC since age 14. Most recent colonoscopy 1 year following my last, a Sessile Serrated Adenoma was found in my cecum. Thankfully UC is in inactive with max dose of daily Asacol, but now a bit worried about new finding. Just wasn't on my radar I guess, as I have no family Hx of CC, or polyps, nor any seen with previous colonoscopies. I am already on high surveillance with long UC Hx with recommended scopes every 1-2yrs. Looks like these lesions have a tendency to reoccur as can be difficult to remove. Any others with IBD and sessile serrated adenoma findings? Also wondering about good research that indicates time it may take for right sided SSA's to turn malignant? Can genetic testing helpful? My follow up apt is next week, so thought I'd throw some of these questions out there.

Thank you!
Angela

Lee

Re: IBD/ sessile serrated adenoma

Postby Lee » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Yonaka33 wrote:I am new to this forum.
I am 41yrs old, I've had left sided UC since age 14. Most recent colonoscopy 1 year following my last, a Sessile Serrated Adenoma was found in my cecum. Thankfully UC is in inactive with max dose of daily Asacol, but now a bit worried about new finding. Just wasn't on my radar I guess, as I have no family Hx of CC, or polyps, nor any seen with previous colonoscopies. I am already on high surveillance with long UC Hx with recommended scopes every 1-2yrs. Looks like these lesions have a tendency to reoccur as can be difficult to remove. Any others with IBD and sessile serrated adenoma findings? Also wondering about good research that indicates time it may take for right sided SSA's to turn malignant? Can genetic testing helpful? My follow up apt is next week, so thought I'd throw some of these questions out there.

Thank you!
Angela

Hi and welcome.

So sorry your post was overlooked. Sometimes it get busy around here and some post fall towards the bottom fast.

My understanding, if you have IBS, UC, etc, it puts you at a higher risk for developing colon cancer. This is due to the inflammation caused by IBS, US, etc.

Generally it takes a polyp about 10 years to turn cancerous, butt there is a certain type that can turn cancerous with in a year or two. Right now, I can't remember what type it is. Hopefully someone will come along with the correct answer. I believe it due to genetic. This may be some thing you want to follow up with your appointment next week.

By bumping this back to the top, hopefully others will chime in.

Good luck, let us know how it goes with the appointment.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Yonaka33
Facebook Username: Angela.yonak@gmail.com.

Postby Yonaka33 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi Lee,

My apt is tomorrow, so I’ll definitely have some questions to ask. From the research that I could see, it sounds like the sessile serrated adenoma has potential for Rapid growth, a precursor for CC. Also does look like often carries particular genetics like the BRAF mutation. I guess can be difficult to remove and often get overlooked, so maybe that is part of the issue. There is not a lot of research out there on the natural history of these guys~ the sessile serrated adenoma is a newer classification since early 2000’s.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! :)

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:31 pm

I do not know much about sessile serrated polyps, but there are some recent review articles on the topic that might help. My understanding is that these types of polyps have to be removed, but since they are sessile (i.e., flat) they are difficult to remove completely by colonoscope. There are other, better ways to remove them, however, such as by endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR). Also, when the polyp is biopsied, I think it should be tested for BRAF mutations.

Sessile serrated adenoma/polyps: Where are we at in 2016?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5016375/

Understanding your Pathology Report: Colon Polyps (Sessile or Traditional Serrated Adenomas)
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/understanding-your-diagnosis/tests/understanding-your-pathology-report/colon-pathology/colon-polyps-sessile-or-traditional-serrated-adenomas.html

Serrated lesions of the colon and rectum
https://www.slideshare.net/DrSnehalKosale/serrated-lesions-of-colon-and-rectum

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”