Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
PeterG
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Just began a new regime today; went from Xeloda with Iranotican with Avastin to Xeloda with Oxaliplatin and Xarelto (due to pulmonary embolism in last scan and slight growth of one tumor.

Problem: I immediately felt numbness in fingers and cold sensitivity in teeth/mouth. Walking outside (into 19 degree F. weather, I felt very strong pins-and-needles (effect?) in my fingers and soon in my feet. This is, I take it, neuropathy. The finger and foot pain goes away as soon as I get warm, and perhaps it is simply a matter of keeping bundled and covered. But this is a crazy quality of life issue—I am in New England, and work will require me to be inside and outside many times every day—and life requires me to scrape snow from cars, shovel and snowblow. I have been fighting lung Mets since summer of 2014, with CRC since summer, 2013. Not yet willing to cave on this treatment, and still going strong in nearly all aspects of life.

Request: Anyone at Colon Talk have successful strategies for dealing with Oxaliplatin related neuropathy?
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--further CT: growth & multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable" CT scan scheduled
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.

NHMike
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 am

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby NHMike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:39 pm

I live and work in NH so I feel your pain. I think that it's more cold sensitivity than neuropathy but I get arthritic feelings in my fingers and hands when I wake up which might be related. I work inside but still have to scrape ice and snow and have to walk around when it is quite cold outside. I use a balaclava and ski goggles when it is cold and windy and try not to leave any skin exposed. I also bought an electric kettle because I need water and drinks slightly above room temperature. It is a royal pain (or brutal would be a better word).

I have seen many of our members suffer from the Oxaliplatin with a variety of symptoms, some of them quite long-lasting. I'm just trying to get through winter. There are times when I seriously want to stop this stuff. I do often feel like a WIMP on this stuff. I think that it might be easier if you don't have to work (as in short-term disability or retired), but many of us don't have that as a realistic option.

You have been on a long, tough journey.
6/23/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/13: Stage 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 x 4.5 x 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/31-9/8: Xeloda 3,400 mg/day+radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 9/8: 1.8; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/6: 2.7 x 2.2 x 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/30: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
12/20: Started CapeOx

PeterG
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Thanks, Mike. Have trouble with the “been on” part...I like to think of myself as at the beginning of the journey. I have been dealing with hand-foot effects of Xeloda for years. The Oxi is bringing this to a new leve. Short-term disability for a person with lung mets on palliative chemo who needs insurance to pay for treatment is really not a possibility. Nor is it psychologically or economically feasible for me to stop working. I am not willing to be defined by this disease; when that happens—when the disease and its treatment become my life, rather than a surmountable impediment to living in *defiance* of my CRC, I will perhaps change my view. But to date, I have muscled through, and hope to continue. Hence, looking for recommendations.

Got a balaclava, gloves and a good jacket. Looking for ways to prevent the “cold sensitivity” and neuropathy from occurring, and ways to tone it down.

Good luck, and I sincerely hope you have no reoccurance.

NHMike wrote:I live and work in NH so I feel your pain. I think that it's more cold sensitivity than neuropathy but I get arthritic feelings in my fingers and hands when I wake up which might be related. I work inside but still have to scrape ice and snow and have to walk around when it is quite cold outside. I use a balaclava and ski goggles when it is cold and windy and try not to leave any skin exposed. I also bought an electric kettle because I need water and drinks slightly above room temperature. It is a royal pain (or brutal would be a better word).

I have seen many of our members suffer from the Oxaliplatin with a variety of symptoms, some of them quite long-lasting. I'm just trying to get through winter. There are times when I seriously want to stop this stuff. I do often feel like a WIMP on this stuff. I think that it might be easier if you don't have to work (as in short-term disability or retired), but many of us don't have that as a realistic option.

You have been on a long, tough journey.
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--further CT: growth & multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable" CT scan scheduled
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.

PeterG
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 pm

So, calcium infusions (or even oral dosing) seem to have some effect. I am looking for some scientific authority. Found the linked article below that was somewhat enlightening, and will send it to my poor, overworked, indulgent ONC., but wondering if anyone else has experimented with any of the prescription or herbal treatments discussed in the attached NCBI, NIH article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1661634/
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--further CT: growth & multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable" CT scan scheduled
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.

NHMike
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 am

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby NHMike » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:00 pm

PeterG wrote:So, calcium infusions (or even oral dosing) seem to have some effect. I am looking for some scientific authority. Found the linked article below that was somewhat enlightening, and will send it to my poor, overworked, indulgent ONC., but wondering if anyone else has experimented with any of the prescription or herbal treatments discussed in the attached NCBI, NIH article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1661634/


I like the article - fairly easy to read for a research paper. I received suggestions from a nutritionist for combating the issues with Oxaliplatin but I didn't listen that well.

I picked up a bag of Gin Gins from Whole Foods this afternoon. I usually feel nauseous a few days after the infusion. They give me anti-nausea drugs before the infusion and they wear off. Ginger helps with that. Could be ginger tea, chews, candies, crystallized ginger, or raw in food. I find that it helps. I saved the paper to read later on. I'm somewhat wiped out this week from work and the infusion.
6/23/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/13: Stage 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 x 4.5 x 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/31-9/8: Xeloda 3,400 mg/day+radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 9/8: 1.8; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/6: 2.7 x 2.2 x 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/30: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
12/20: Started CapeOx

zephyr
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby zephyr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:12 pm

My oncologist kept offering gabapentin and I kept refusing. I just didn't want another drug in my system; I can't completely explain why. But then my sister was at a party and starting talking with a friend-of-a-friend who was a Stage IV colon cancer survivor and an M.D. She mentioned the neuropathy and he told her to tell me to take the gabapentin because you don't want to set up mental pathways that register "pain," etc. when there is no real source. So I decided to try the gabapentin. It took a few tries to get the right dose: not so much that I felt drugged the next morning but not so little that it didn't have enough effect. (All of these meds seem so Goldilocks to me.) I finally settled on 300 mg. in the evening which doesn't completely eliminate the neuropathy but takes the edge off.

I hope you're able to find some relief.
Oct-2009 Stage I CC
Jun-2016 Stage 3 (T3 N1c)
Jun-2016 Surgery
Jul-2016 PET: Probable Stage 4 with inoperable lung mets
Aug-2016 Folfox
Jan-2017 Dropped oxaliplatin, continuing with 5FU, added Avastin
Aug-2017 Dropped Avastin, continuing with 5FU
Dec-2017 Chemo stopped working, lung mets growing but CEA stable, considering other treatment options
Jan-2018 Begin Folfiri & Cyramza (ramucirumab); also receiving Vitamin C & Quercetin by IV every week
Jun-2018 Taking a chemo break

PeterG
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:32 pm

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Thanks Zephyr. I had read that Gabapentin was found not to work on neuropathy. Willing to try whatever is effective, I suppose, but I had read the 2007 American Cancer Society article from 2007 that I am attaching below that seemas to indicate that it doesn’t seem to help—double blind study. Do you know of other literature on this? http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 8/abstract

zephyr wrote:My oncologist kept offering gabapentin and I kept refusing. I just didn't want another drug in my system; I can't completely explain why. But then my sister was at a party and starting talking with a friend-of-a-friend who was a Stage IV colon cancer survivor and an M.D. She mentioned the neuropathy and he told her to tell me to take the gabapentin because you don't want to set up mental pathways that register "pain," etc. when there is no real source. So I decided to try the gabapentin. It took a few tries to get the right dose: not so much that I felt drugged the next morning but not so little that it didn't have enough effect. (All of these meds seem so Goldilocks to me.) I finally settled on 300 mg. in the evening which doesn't completely eliminate the neuropathy but takes the edge off.

I hope you're able to find some relief.
DX Aug. 2013 Resection 09/13.
08/14 CT : .7 CM pulmonary nodule--further CT: growth & multiple nodules.
03/15 15 dendritic cell vaccine-monthly
05/16 begin 3000 MG Xeloda & Avastin
11-16 shrinkage.”Sstable" CT scan scheduled
2/2017: Port installed. Begin Folfiri and Avastin
8/2017: Xeloda, Avastin and Iranotican. 3-wk cycle.
2-6-18: small pulmonary embolim—some growth in one pulmonary tumor. Start Xarelto.
2-8-18 : Change of chemo: Xeloda with Oxaliplatin no avastin.

Tdubz
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 11:01 am

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby Tdubz » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 am

I’m almost 5 months out from my last round of chemo. The neuropathy was at its worst around 2-3 months after my last round. At that point my hands felt so numb that I couldn’t button my shirt, tie my shoes, write or type. My feet were so numb that driving became difficult because I couldn’t tell how hard I was pushing the pedals. 5 months out now and everything feels a bit better. I still have the numbness and tingling in my hands and feet but at least it’s got a little better and I can do all the things I couldn’t do a few months ago. I haven’t found anything that makes it better besides time.

karaj
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: Boston
Contact:

Re: Oxaliplatin and Combatting Neuropothy

Postby karaj » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Hi Peter,

Sorry to hear about the neuropathy. I had it worst during winter 2014 in Boston - I feel your pain! Acupuncture was the best thing I did during that time. It didn't cure the neuropathy, but it did really help relieve the pain. I knew it was working when I missed a week and all those painful tingles intensified.

Good luck!

Kara
36 y/o female, dx at 32
8/14 dx Stage IIIC, 10/30 lymph nodes
8/14-9/14: sigmoidoscopy, fertility preservation, port-a-cath
9/14 - 3/15: FOLFOX (allergic to oxaliplatin, underwent desensitization)
4/15: NED
1/16: dx Stage IV, recurrence in three lymph nodes behind abdomen
2/16: FOLFIRI
8/16: NED
8/17: NED, currently under no treatment, scans every 3 months
http://www.karaincancerland.com


Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 37 guests