A bit scared

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ceamy

A bit scared

Postby Ceamy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 am

Hi. I’m 73 & have been diagnosed with an LST in rectum from 4-10cm from anal verge measuring 5-6cm in diameter & covering 50% of circumference of rectum. I’m booked in for a TAMIS procedure to remove it & another smaller usual polyp further up. I’m a bit scared that it might be cancer, how long recovery time from TAMIS might be. Any reassurance, suggestions or tips would be very welcome.

Lee

Re: A bit scared

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi and welcome, sorry for the reason you are here.

I am not real familiar with TAMIS, butt because there will be no incision, It sounds like your recovery will be quicker, probably just an overnight stay in the hospital vs several nights with other types of surgery.

Do your doctors suspect cancer? Have you had any other tests like blood work or CAT scan?

This is just an assumption on my part (I am not an MD), because of the type of procedure, TAMIS, I don't think your doctors are assuming it's cancer. Usually when dealing with cancer, there will be some incisions and they want to take out near by lymph nodes looking for possible spread. I don't think they can do this with this type of surgery. Again just an assumption on my part. If it is cancer, it probably is a very early stage. Stage O or stage 1. Very curable.

Anyway good luck, please keep us posted after your procedure.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Ceamy

Postby Ceamy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks for your reply Lee. I feel a bit of a wimp when I see all that everyone else is going through here. I think ( I hope) you’re right about it not being cancer. It just seemed quite big & near the anus. I was told the alternative would be open surgery & stoma & am a bit concerned that may still be an option. There is so little information available about TAMIS & recovery time when you leave hospital. This is my third consultant who, unlike the others, seems to be moving a bit more quickly. I just feel I can cope better if I know what is going on. I know Dr Google isn’t the best answer but then I wouldn’t have the Colon club. I will update after op.

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Okay I'm a bit smarter now. You say this is your 3rd consultation, what did the other consults say? Have you had a colonoscopy recently? Most doctors know cancer when they see it. Has any doctor told you possibly could have cancer? Were any biopies taken from this LST? Again, any other test like a blood test or CAT scan? Guess I'm saying I might need some more info.

Are you going down this path to avoid the other surgical options? I've had a permanent colostomy for almost 14 years now. They are not that bad. Here is a website that you might want to check out. United Ostomy Association of America. They are a lot like us here, friendly.

https://www.uoaa.org/forum/index.php?si ... 0ef660f3f0

Yes avoid Dr. Google. A lot of info out there is out dated and flat out wrong.

When are you getting this procedure done?

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Ceamy

Postby Ceamy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:27 am

I saw my Dr 5June - 21 June 17 because of growing & extreme pain & discomfort in lower abdomen, a lot of foul smelling gas & bloating(waist can expand 3-4 inches from morning to evening). Had ultrasound 11July 17 (only result I know is I have a gallstone). Had colonoscopy & biopsies 22July17. Only got letter from Consultant telling me that biopsies revealed polyp “ that we should consider removing if possible” & that it “is going to be a bit of a challenge” & he was referring me to colleague “ & so I suspect they will be in touch”. I didn’t know that I should have received a written report. Attended 2nd consultant’s clinic 24Oct 17 to be told they would refer me to another consultant with view to TAMIS procedure. Also accidentally found out I had diverticulosis. Regular bowel screening revealed I had blood in bowel movement. Had flexible sigmoidoscopy 16Jan 18. Written report as above & also saying I had multiple scattered diverticula. Consultant said previous biopsies were clear but (to me) seemed to stress that they were only 2 tiny sections of a large tumour/polyp. I have COPD & feel my breathing has got worse over last year & also have remnants of Chronic Fatigue. TAMIS scheduled for 5March but, hopefully, will have appointment before then to discuss any questions I have. So suggestions of questions to ask will be welcome. This consultant seems to be more organised than other 2 & I do feel a bit more confident with him. I suppose I thought that just removing the polyp seemed preferable to removing a chunk of my colon & having a colostomy. I’ve had a quick look at the website you gave & will have a longer look. Thank you for your support.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm

Ceamy wrote:... Had colonoscopy & biopsies 22July17...Had a sigmoidoscopy on 16 Jan 18...

My question would be this: What were the factual results of the biopsies? What exactly did they find? Was it a tumor? Was it a large polyp? Was it pre-cancerous? Was it malignant? Was it an adenocarcinoma?

I think you should ask for the complete written pathology report for the different biopsies.. Then you would have a better idea of what you are dealing with and whether a TAMIS procedure would be the best option in your case

To me, the oral summaries given by the doctors seem a bit too casual and informal.

Ceamy

Postby Ceamy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:39 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I’m making a list! The only report I have had so far said I had a 50mm sessile polyp & later in report referred to it as a laterally spreading tumour (LST). I do love our NHS but you do seem to get more detailed information. I seem to be able to ask questions for other people but am not as successful for myself.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope your procedure goes well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”