22 years old and scared to death

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Pemba

Re: 22 years old and scared to death

Postby Pemba » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:20 am

and a few hours later, I fainted because of the blood loss and was rushed back to hospital in an ambulance.

Sweetheart you did not have the same, you did not loose that amount of blood, and all this happend fast, you had no problems at all after that one time.

And for the toilet entertainment, the preps works different for everyone and there are also different brand of preps. I think I got one called picoprep, where there are two envelopes in, and after taking it, you have to drink a large glass of water or something else by the hour.

I was very lucky to only have BM every time I drank something, and it when fast to get it out of me, like peeing trough your ass . So I basically sat there for max 5 minuets once a hour !

But other people have to camp out there.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

Mostu

Postby Mostu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:54 am

Thank you Pemba, you're a great person! I've got a question for you though and I want you to answer honestly. Do you say all those things just to make me feel better or do you really believe them? Like, you said that from the pic it looks like a burst hemorrhoid, but I did my research and I never saw any source mention that burst internal hemorrhoids bleed as much. I mean, I appreciate what you guys do, but so many things don't add up... I read a lot about diverticular bleeding, and it's like the most accurate description of what I had - painless, huge amount of blood, stops on its own. However, I didn't find a single case of people as young as me having diverticulosis. I know that I shouldn't do so much research and that I should stop analysing so much, but damn are those couple days before the scope hard.

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 am

I mean what I say, I would never lie. I had both a mother and a friend who had a pile that exploded into the toilet, almost spray painted it with blood. But I have no idea if it was internal or external hemmies. My mom is getting hers surgical removed next week !

And I can also say, that I had bloody mucus with my polyp, and it happened almost every time I had a BM not just once.

I’m not saying you don’t have something going on, but it’s likely not cancer. And real soon you’ll have a answer! You can always find something on Dr google that will backup your fear so try to stay away from it, even though I know it’s difficult.

Mostu

Postby Mostu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:57 am

Fingers crossed for your mom then! Do you know if your mom or/and the friend felt any pain when it ruptured? Most sources say that when hemmorroids burst, there's pain involved, but I had none :/

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks ! For my friend it was a completely shock out of nowhere, my mom been dealing with hemmys since she was 18 and had them bursting a couple of times, I think she had discomfort like recital irritation up until the bursting. But non of them mentioned pain afterwards!

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:27 am

Mostu wrote:Could you guys elaborate on the entertainment part? I honestly thought that the prep makes you go often, but the bm's are quick. Will I spend a lot of time on the toilet then? :D I'm on the optimist spectrum for now because I thought about how I only had this one bleeding and no bleeding after. Like, if there was a bleeding tumor in there, it wouldnt just stop bleeding right?

Well I don't have much of a rectum left after my resection surgery, so it all kind of slides out anyway fast, but yeah, super fast bm's - so it makes you go often. I spent about 5 hrs sitting on the toilet, every now and then got up to stretch my legs. Magazines and a smart phone = entertainment and it was a camp out. I don't recall it being as fast when I did the prep for my first colonoscopy. You just kind of have to roll with it; the nice warm shower I took afterward when all was done was great.
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

Mostu

Postby Mostu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:07 am

I'm going to keep a small diary here, just to kind of vent and get stuff off my chest.

So here we are, at the moment I'm on a train making my way to the hospital. I feel anxious but kinda relieved that the wait is finally over. Hopefully the prep won't be as bad. Waiting for Monday patiently.

Edit 13:20 20.01.2018

I've been in the hospital since an hour, luckily I'm alone in the room and I have my own bathroom. No wifi though so gotta use mobile data. I have a book and my laptop so I'll try to pass time quickly. My uncle (who's a surgeon here) told me that I'm gonna be asleep during the procedure, I don't know how to feel about it. I'm also hungry, last time I ate was yesterday at 15:00 so yeah...

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Postby Robino1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:31 am

I feel your pain. ;)

Tuesday I get my 3rd colonoscopy. My prep starts Monday. Tomorrow I start the pre-prep which means no fiber, none of the healthy stuff I'm used to doing. Kind of ironic. :D Can't eat for a healthy colon in order to check to see if the colon is healthy! LOL!

I also will be asleep, as I have been for the other 2. I prefer that to the thought of being awake/aware during the procedure.

Try to look forward to being able to eat, have coffee etc.

Good luck and I hope they find absolutely nothing!
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 am

Wait do you Americans stay in the hospital doing the prep ?? Is that standard? We don’t really go to a hospital unless the GL find something, it’s more like a small Gastro clinic with some nurses and a GL.

Anyway I did the colonoscopy on the rocks with no medicine, because I wanted to transport myself home afterwards and have a bad anxiety to new medicine... I’ll properly get drugged next time though :roll:

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Postby Robino1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Pemba wrote:Wait do you Americans stay in the hospital doing the prep ?? Is that standard? We don’t really go to a hospital unless the GL find something, it’s more like a small Gastro clinic with some nurses and a GL.

Anyway I did the colonoscopy on the rocks with no medicine, because I wanted to transport myself home afterwards and have a bad anxiety to new medicine... I’ll properly get drugged next time though :roll:

No, prep is done at home. Tuesday morning I will be going to the clinic where the colonoscopies are done. I will get an IV and they will put something in my vein to put me to a deep sleep.

Afterward, my husband will be driving me to the nearest Dunkin Donuts and I will order a large coffee ;)

Should only be a couple of hours and I will be back home. :)
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

Mostu

Postby Mostu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Another update. The prep is awful! Tastes horrible, reminds me of swimming pool water. There's some good news I think, doctor came, asked some questions why I'm here etc, and then wanted to see my anus, he took a look and said that there's an obvious hemorrhoid and it probably just burst back then. I hope he's right, but when I went to ER the same day I bled, they did a per rectum on me and no one said anything about hemorrhoids... No idea if that's a new one or they didn't notice it back then

rockhound

Postby rockhound » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Robino1 wrote:
Pemba wrote:Wait do you Americans stay in the hospital doing the prep ?? Is that standard? We don’t really go to a hospital unless the GL find something, it’s more like a small Gastro clinic with some nurses and a GL.

No, prep is done at home. Tuesday morning I will be going to the clinic where the colonoscopies are done. I will get an IV and they will put something in my vein to put me to a deep sleep.

Afterward, my husband will be driving me to the nearest Dunkin Donuts and I will order a large coffee ;)

Should only be a couple of hours and I will be back home. :)

I did the recent prep at a hotel near the hospital where the scope was occurring. Hospital is associated with the NCI cancer center where I had surgery, etc. and the Dr that did the scope was recommended by my colorectal surgeon. Because I'm higher risk, we all though that would be more prudent than having the scope done locally (at a small clinic) where I would have done all the prep at home. A romantic (haha) evening in a hotel in a nice city for sure. Did it while also asleep and the Dr. also did an upper GI scope a part of Lynch syndrome surveillance. Had a great breakfast/lunch afterward; I stayed away from coffee. Last time I had that after my first scope I got sick!
45 yr old male
Diagnosed December 2016, age 41
Stage 1/IIA rectal cancer - T2/3N0M0 via MRI (MRI indicates stage 1; onc/surgeon = stage 2a)
Lynch syndrome, MSH6 mutation, MSI
2 to 3/2017 Xeloda + Radiation
5/10/17 - Robotic LAR with temp. loop illeostomy, 0/20 lymph nodes
6 to 7/2017 - Six cycles Folfox @ full strength
9/20/17 - Ileostomy takedown
10/17 - CT, NED
5/18 - CT, NED
11/18 - CT, NED
5/19 - CT, NED..moving to yearly CT scans
5/20 - CT, NED
5/21 - CT, NED (4 yr. scan)

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

I don't go to the hospital for any of it. I prep at home, I go to a clinic where all they do is colonoscopies with many doc there. My surgeon does my scopes, butt I also know they have GI doc there.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:42 pm

Lee wrote:

I don't go to the hospital for any of it. I prep at home, I go to a clinic where all they do is colonoscopies with many doc there. My surgeon does my scopes, butt I also know they have GI doc there.

Lee

Haha ok that seems pretty much like the same Here, a clinic where they do all sorts of gasto scopys, remove polyps or treat ulcers.. if they find large polyps they can’t remove or anything remotely worrisome they sent you to the hospital..

Just got a shock reading they did stay in the hospital doing prep and all, seems so expensive and different. I don’t think we would have rooms enough if that was standard.

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Pemba wrote:Just got a shock reading they did stay in the hospital doing prep and all, seems so expensive and different. I don’t think we would have rooms enough if that was standard.

Honestly, I find it odd too, prepping in the hospital. I'm coming up on 14 yrs, I've had MANY colonoscopies, never in the hospital. I know the hospitals have GI wards, I had some follow up testing done when I was first diagnosed, in one of those GI wards, butt I believe those wards are mainly used for people already admitted to the hospital (ie someone shows up in the ER with a medical problem, they do a colonoscopy on person to rule out cancer, etc)

Hope everything goes well for him.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”