Afraid I have colon cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Meowmeowgirl
Facebook Username: Sierra stone

Afraid I have colon cancer

Postby Meowmeowgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:11 pm

I am waiting to have an EGD and a colonoscopy done and although they got my appointments sooner because they considered my symptoms urgent, i still have to wait a month. I did have a ct scan and a blood test..which were both normal but they said all they could see on the scan was a had a lot of constipation. I'm 22 and female.. I've had IBS for about 8 years so I was always dealing with stomach aches and constipation, but this past month or so I started losing weight without trying, then lost my appetite, lost more weight, im always nauseous, I have mild stomach pain that will change spots -sonetimes on my left side, sometimes right above belly button, and sometimes my right side. I get dizzy standing up and just feel super weak and tired constantly. I feel like I can't do anything without being winded.
And I've always had consolation but usually a glass of miralax would help me go but I drank 4 glasses of miralax, milk of magnesia, and stool softeners over a couple daysand when I finally went it was just tiny amounts of diahrea.
Any advice?

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Re: Afraid I have colon cancer

Postby KElizabeth » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:26 pm

You might ask to get on the wait list for any cancellations that may come up for your GI doc before your scheduled appointment. You sound like you need help now and not in one month. Call them and tell them you can't wait a month because you're sick now. Call your general practitioner if you can't get help from your GI doctor.
I've had to do this before. Sometimes they need to know you mean buisness.
Colonoscopy is the best most reliable way to know if it is or is not cancer. Worry will make you feel more sick so try to find something distracting to keep you busy while you wait. Im the poster child for anxiety sickness and I know it really is possible to make yourself sick with worry.
When I was sick and still undiagnosed my doc prescribed Nulev for the cramping and urgency I was experiencing and it really helped short term.
So sorry you are feeling so unwell. Hugs.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Zig2017

Postby Zig2017 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:55 pm

I’m so sorry first that you have so much discomfort, but also IBS. That can be absolutely miserable. I hope you can get in sooner, at the very least to help relieve your symptoms. I’m glad you are getting a colonoscopy, it’s pretty thorough and they can see what’s going on. I know it’s hard not to worry when you feel so poorly. Please try to get in sooner so they can help relieve all of your stomach pain. All the best to you and here’s hoping for a clear scan! Let us know how you make out. Mrs Ziggy
Hubby stage 3C June 2017
MSS BRAF Mutation
18 LN positive
Adenosquamous CC
12 FOLFOX
Right Hemicolectomy
11/08/17 numerous nodules and lymph nodes throughout chest and abdomen. Stage IV.
11/2017 moved care to Sloan clinical trial for BRAF mutation
1/30/18 off clinical trial
2/2/18 one dose of Irinotecan
2/5/18 Hospitalization and hospice
2/16/18 came home from hospital and went home to his Lord at 1:10 pm

Pemba

Postby Pemba » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Hope everything goes alright and the test are clean *hugs*

Since you had IBS for so long you probably dealt with constipation before. But I just wanted to say as someone who delt with chronic constipation, when it got bad, like really bad, I would completely lose my appetite, I would have bad stomach ache especially where the colon have it’s corners and I would get bad nausea as well.

You really need to get that stomach going, so find something that works, maybe a high dose of Mivicol.

My mom also has IBS and is luckily a dietitian, so she new a lot of things to try out. She says lots of people with IBS have a intolerant to some food proteins the stomach and intestines can not process properly, that can cause chronic constipation or diarea. For her I worked eating after FODMAP and stay away from onions, raw chickpeas and some other foods. If she eats anything with onion in it her stomach will bloat and hurt for hours and her stomach will go on standby causing consternation.
2017: 15mm Tubulovillous adenoma- Low grade dysplasi.
Next scopy: original 2020 probably 2018-19

Meowmeowgirl

Postby Meowmeowgirl » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Thanks everyone. The thought has crossed my mind that maybe this is all from my IBS and constipation..but I just keep thinking it can't be because its gotten way worse before and I didn't feel this bad...but I honestly have no idea.
Ill call tomorrow and ask about being on a cancellation list.
I'm close to losing my job because I was fairly new and I haven't been able to go in :(

Lee

Postby Lee » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 pm

So sorry you are going through this, as others have said, see if you can get in on a cancellation for that colonoscopy.

Girl friend of mine, her daughter has issues with constipation all her life. What they learned through the years is that gluten products gave her the constipation. With a gluten free diet, daughter has no constipation issues.

Maybe something to look into.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Meowmeowgirl

Postby Meowmeowgirl » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Did any of you experience a drop in your body temp? I don't know if that's normal or not but my temp is always around 96.1-97.9 past few days.

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 am

Meowmeowgirl wrote:Did any of you experience a drop in your body temp? I don't know if that's normal or not but my temp is always around 96.1-97.9 past few days.

Yes. That happens to me. When I have bowl irritation I sometimes get a low temp like 96.5. I usually run low though. By normal temp is 97.6.
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

Meowmeowgirl

Postby Meowmeowgirl » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:49 am

KElizabeth wrote:
Meowmeowgirl wrote:Did any of you experience a drop in your body temp? I don't know if that's normal or not but my temp is always around 96.1-97.9 past few days.

Yes. That happens to me. When I have bowl irritation I sometimes get a low temp like 96.5. I usually run low though. By normal temp is 97.6.

Really? I'm usually right at normal 98.6..never ran low before..I guess I'll mention it to my doctor

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 pm

I too tend to run a temperature on the lower side, I can bounce around between 97.0 to 98.0. If my temperature was low when I was diagnosed, no one ever said anything. From what I understand 98.6 is just an average, many people can be lower than that and still be normal. Other thing I will say, early in morn, your body temperature will be lower. It will increase as day goes along. I was told this, regarding my kids when they were young. To send to school or not. If by later in the day, they are running a fever, keep them home the next day.

Good luck,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you get answers soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”