Mass in cecum / liver mets

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
mariane

Re: Mass in cecum / liver mets

Postby mariane » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

Dear ldbenz,
I am one of the HAI people on the forum.
I would contact Dr. Kemeny if possible. She likes to start patients on chemotherapy and do treatment from the very beginning. I am one of the patients who are almost completely "her own". I started treatment in hopeless situation: with 10+ mets in the liver, largest 7.5cm, tumor in rectum, and few LN around tumor affected. I was young mother of 6 years old twins at that time.
Dr. Kemeny facilitated everything from me. Within a week I saw her for the first time she put me on FOLFIRINOX chemo . I got complete pathological response and I am off chemo for over a year now with clear scans and normal life.
As you are stage 4 patient at the very beginning of your way , it is good to hit cancer strong to get the best possible response and resection.
FOLFIRINOX+ bevacizumab or FOLFIRINOX + cetuximab/panitumumab gave the greatest percentage of high grade responses to chemo and to cure at the end of the road in some cases according to the studies.
Dr. Kemeny usually opts for 3-4 cycles of chemo to check the response and then orders surgery quickly. She prefered FOLFIRINOX without other agents to follow with surgery to place HAI ASAP.
Once I started chemo I had never had chemo break longer than 2 weeks until I was completely clear of cancer. It maximized the response.
Anyway it is good to hit cancer beast with strongest combination chemo when you are strong, with good blood tests. The cancer can be hit harder and has no time to mutate into more aggressive form.
I went to Dr. K and I have been grateful every day, every minute. I am off chemo living normal life. Everything was fixed for me in no time since I started treatment there. I highly recommend it.

Hugs,

Mariane

PS. You can PM me if you would like.
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

ldbenz

Postby ldbenz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Mariane,

I sent you a private message the other day but I sent it from my phone and I am not sure if you received it.

Thank you so much for your post. Wow. What a story you have. Your story is probably closest to my heart and please let me thank you for sharing.

I finally met with the oncologist at Penn, Dr. Teitelbaum and liked her very much. Actually loved her :-)))

We are waiting for the liver biopsy (to be done Dec. 20th) and then she will start with chemo but, pending the pathology results she and Dr. Dematteo will decide which chemo. She is expecting Dr. D. to recommend EXACTLY what you have indicated. It is fascinating to see your story and hear the same thing.

Perhaps we could become friends. I am a special education teacher and work with underprivileged youth with mild learning disabilities and a mother of two boys, ages 23 and 13. I'm not ready to leave them all.

Hope to hear from you again.

LuAnn

ldbenz

Postby ldbenz » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:24 am

Good morning,

Could any HAI friends please PM me? Not sure why I can't readily add you to my friend list.

Warm gratitude.

Lu

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:41 am

I'm sorry for your diagnosis and hope you get answers soon!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

ldbenz

Postby ldbenz » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:33 am

Hugs to you too :-)))

Mortpes

Postby Mortpes » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Seek a surgeon that has experience in the identification and classification of abdominal cancers and elect for open surgery for a more accurate diagnosis and prognosis.

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:38 pm

usually first chemo done is 5FU with a pump. Glad to see you are being your own advocate, keep it up. The surgeon doesn't know all, the oncologist doesn't know all but together they know much! You are not a statistic you are uniquely you, so please don't Dr google too much it really doesn't mean anything.
Good wishes on your health and may you always find the positive!
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

ldbenz

Postby ldbenz » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:26 am

exaussie,

I'm so very sorry to read your signature.

Love from afar ~

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”