1 month post CHEMO today!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
horizon

Re: 1 month post CHEMO today!

Postby horizon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:05 pm

NHMike wrote:
benben wrote:Love hearing about weightlifting on this board.

I do too. Back when I was considering getting a port I was able to talk to people on here that told me they had gotten one and could still hit the gym. What a great resource this forum is. I could never find that out on my own.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:16 am

horizon wrote:I do too. Back when I was considering getting a port I was able to talk to people on here that told me they had gotten one and could still hit the gym. What a great resource this forum is. I could never find that out on my own.

I didn't even think about the gym. I've been doing the Cybex machines at the YMCA since about two weeks out of surgery and was only doing weights from 20 pounds to 70 pounds. The Cybex machines are all about isolation so I just stayed away (mostly) from anything involving the abs. I'm doing the abs machine at 40 pounds these days (30 reps). I was doing about 190-200 pounds before surgery. In the old days I could max out the machine. I tried the Rotary Torso machine at 20 pounds but I decided to skip that for now. My normal weight setting is 145 pounds. Tennis players can typically do most of the machine. I had a tennis player friend try out the machine at 145 and he got on the machine and did it with no problems. He's never used the machine before but he's a lifelong tennis player and can really whale on the ball.

So, for those that workout in the gym and that had open surgery, how long before you could start back in the gym and how long before you could do what you did before surgery? It is really nice to at least be able to do the machines as you can feel the workout and work up a sweat.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 am

NHMike wrote:
horizon wrote:I do too. Back when I was considering getting a port I was able to talk to people on here that told me they had gotten one and could still hit the gym. What a great resource this forum is. I could never find that out on my own.

I didn't even think about the gym. I've been doing the Cybex machines at the YMCA since about two weeks out of surgery and was only doing weights from 20 pounds to 70 pounds. The Cybex machines are all about isolation so I just stayed away (mostly) from anything involving the abs. I'm doing the abs machine at 40 pounds these days (30 reps). I was doing about 190-200 pounds before surgery. In the old days I could max out the machine. I tried the Rotary Torso machine at 20 pounds but I decided to skip that for now. My normal weight setting is 145 pounds. Tennis players can typically do most of the machine. I had a tennis player friend try out the machine at 145 and he got on the machine and did it with no problems. He's never used the machine before but he's a lifelong tennis player and can really whale on the ball.

So, for those that workout in the gym and that had open surgery, how long before you could start back in the gym and how long before you could do what you did before surgery? It is really nice to at least be able to do the machines as you can feel the workout and work up a sweat.

I tried to do as much as I could while on chemo. I didn't have the ileo so it may make a difference on what you can do. I do wear a belly band for a hernia so that may be all you need to keep the bag secure. I didn't run as much during chemo, but did do some intervals of walking/running. I'm a year and a half out of treatment and I'm definitely back to where I was. The muscle tone I lost while in the hospital and weight loss during treatment has come back. After treatment, I just took it slowly and did what I felt like, but tried to do something every day. I would say within 6-8 months I was back to where I was. Maybe I could've pushed to get back quicker I don't know. I do have neuropathy in my feet but I am able to do anything as wearing shoes makes it feel better, and I really don't have pain just some tingling. Moving makes it feel better. I haven't gone back to the gym yet, I have a pretty nice set up in my basement. Treadmill, weight bench, weights, tread climber. I'm also looking to get one of those Peleton bikes. When weather is good, I run outside. I also have yoga and pilates dvd's I can use. I'm still contemplating taking some yoga or pilates classes as I did enjoy them before I had surgery. Sometimes going outside the house is good for the mind as well.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

horizon

Postby horizon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:39 am

NHMike wrote:
horizon wrote:So, for those that workout in the gym and that had open surgery, how long before you could start back in the gym and how long before you could do what you did before surgery? It is really nice to at least be able to do the machines as you can feel the workout and work up a sweat.

I had lapro surgery but my surgeon did suggest to me to wear a belt for certain lifts. I'm apparently more at risk of a hernia now from what I understand.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”