1 month post CHEMO today!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
benben

1 month post CHEMO today!

Postby benben » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:21 pm

Hello fellow warriors!
It's been exactly 1 month today that I was disconnected from my last chemo session of 5FU.
I have not forgotten any of you and wish you all health and happiness. I continue to practice Metta for everyone.
I'm saddened to hear the news of Tom passing. A great soul, researcher, and informant was lost on the battleground.
Rest in Peace Tom!

I've been extremely busy with work and investment opportunities.
I've been feeling very well for the most part. Only some mild feelings of abdominal pain, usually just prior to a bowel movement.
I've gained 17 lbs back from my low of 153. My hunger has kicked in strong and I seem to be even more hungry than prior to surgery.
I'd like to stick around my current weight of 170, but I'm fairly certain I'll gain more as I'm beginning to up my weight lifting practice.
Still only about 50% of my pre-operation/chemo lifting - but it is progress. My overall energy levels are probably around 90-95%, which is great too.
In the past 2 weeks my bowel movements have become more routine. I've only experienced diarrhea once in the past 2 weeks, which is a vast improvement to while I was on chemo with usually 7-9 days each cycle turning into loose stools to progression of water.

I've had the fortune to celebrate my sons, and my own, birthday. We are just 4 days apart, and went to families for thanksgiving.
I've been back to being able to go out in public, shop, eat out etc.. Even finally got to have some Sushi. Seemed like forever - as it's one of my favorites.
I also have joined a meditation group.

On neuropathy - unfortunately it has increased in my hands quite a bit. I've gotten increased numbness and tingling in the hands.
My feet seem to have decreased a bit as I'm not experiencing as much tingling sensation while running. It's still there, but not to the point of it stopping me.
I've worked up to about 1.5 miles of running during my walks. My blood pressure has dropped. The hands haven't become too bad as I'm still able to do my work, type, etc.
Playing bar chords on the guitar are getting increasingly difficult though, and trying to get those plastic bags open at the grocery store for produce is a lesson in patience :)
My onc suggested I'd experience the opposite with feet getting worse and hands better, but doesn't seem the case for me. I hear this increase in neuropathy post treatment is quite common but should really start to fade around 2-3 months post treatment. So I am looking forward to that. My hair is growing back, still a little thin, but getting thicker. It's as soft as baby hair now. Wonder if that will last long.

Overall though, I'm feeling great and each day with the opening of my eyes I experience immense gratitude.

Love and light to all!
I hope we all continue to get better and gain strength, both physically and mentally as we do our daily diligence to overcome this illness.
----------------------
3/29/17 diagnosed CRC - 44 y/o Male
4/17/17 ULAR - Straight anastomosis - no ostomy.
Path: low grade T3n1m0 - moderate diff.
KRAS - NO, MLH1/PMS2/MSH6/MSH2 - Normal.
5/3 med port install
5/22 folfox - first treatment.
3rd treat, delayed - low ANC - reduced to 90% OXI
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
Treats 8-12 - NO OXI, Luke & 5FU
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

[Ana & Alex]

Re: 1 month post CHEMO today!

Postby [Ana & Alex] » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 am

Dear Benben,

I am so happy reading about your conquests and life after chemo, you brought tears to my eyes.

We have the same "last chemo"- day :D 27/10 I swallowed my 8 last Capecitabine pills.

I cannot say I've bounced back yet, because of neuropathy (which started getting worse in my feet) and feeling tired and because of the aftermath of radiation to my pelvis. I'm eating healthy although sometimes I cheat a little beat with some cookies at the side, but that's it. Lots of salads, soups, fruit and no read meat for me.

I'm also back to work and loving it - but that alongside with my daughter, leaves me no time to exercise.

That's about to change this month, I'm planning to get back to the gym. I will start slow because my energy levels are still in the gutter :P but I will start.

My colostomy rocks. I started irrigating this week and it feels really good. I'm used to having my pouch in my belly by now, eat and wear whatever I want, go to meetings, go to the university - everything as before.

Talking about enjoying life and life changes after chemo brings me to mixed feelings. I haven't changed much, although I would love to travel more, work a little less, go crazy and enjoy the day - but with my 2 year old I must say, I am not the priority in my life, even after having cancer.

When you are a parent everything changes - but although I'm not so focused in myself at the moment, nothing gives me more joy to spend time with my daughter and seeing her happy <3 <3 <3

All the best for you dear benben,
I hope we will be seeing each other around for many many days to come still!

Here's to NEDville forever!

Love,
Ana
Dx @ 29 yo. Mum (2 y.o.) & Wife

12/2016: Rectal AdenoCa G2. CEA 4.3. RAS Wild. MSS. IIIB.
01 - 03/2017: 28 RTx + CHT 2,5 g/d Capecit.
03 - 06/2017: Suplemments and Cimetidine.
05/2017: TME/TAMIS + permanent Colostomy CEA 0.5
05/2017: ypT2N2aM0 (4/15), good cCR, limited pCR
06 - 8/2017: 4x CapOx 3,5 g/d (2x Oxi reduced to 80%)
09 -11/2017: 3x Capecit. monotherapy 4g/d
12/2017: Aspirin, Vit. D3, Curcumin, Multivitamin.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:37 am

I read somewhere (but I can't remember where) that the two most frequent complaints post-chemo are (1) extreme fatigue, and (2) elevated anxiety levels. Both of these are due to enduring aftereffects of treatment. But there are other long-term effects, too, that may need to be addressed:

https://www.livestrong.org/we-can-help/healthy-living-after-treatment/late-effects-of-cancer-treatment

Most major cancer hospitals have survivorship programs in place to address such issues during the 5-year post-treatment surveillance period.

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 am

I did just have a meeting with a survivorship nurse about 3 weeks ago. I am a year and a half out of treatment. It was good, as they go over your entire treatment program, and you can talk about any anxiety you may have which is helpful. She was also able to send a order to the SPA at my cancer center for acupuncture to maybe help with neuropathy. I've had two treatments so far, no big improvement yet but we will see. Being a cancer patient I am entitled to $500 worth of services at the spa so I thought I would give it try. My neuropathy did get worse in my feet after I finished treatment. My hands have improved as I don't drop things like I used to. It's getting cold in Michigan now, so I can feel the effects more than in the warm weather. I just find if I keep moving it feels better. I've been able to get back to my 3-4 miles of running and weights. I tried to keep doing something during treatment but it wasn't always easy. It does feel good to be able to exercise. I'm so glad you're feeling pretty good and life is getting back to somewhat normal.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

benben

Postby benben » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:14 am

[Ana & Alex] wrote:Talking about enjoying life and life changes after chemo brings me to mixed feelings. I haven't changed much, although I would love to travel more, work a little less, go crazy and enjoy the day - but with my 2 year old I must say, I am not the priority in my life, even after having cancer.

I can imagine Ana, and the 2 yr old should remain a high priority - but make sure to take time for yourself too. A happier you, brings greater experiences together with your daughter.
Exercising will certainly help. Just take your time and be gentle with yourself as you make progress.

I'm glad my positive post chemo experiences bring you some hope and comfort in your transition post treatment as well. You'll get there I'm sure. We are all different and experience things differently. Keep positive :)

O Stoma Mia wrote:I read somewhere (but I can't remember where) that the two most frequent complaints post-chemo are (1) extreme fatigue, and (2) elevated anxiety levels

I guess I'm lucky. Fatigue has, for the most part, left the building for me. I'm working 12 hour days quite frequently and not feeling completely spent even after doing so. Anxiety, well I do get ever so slightly worried about the thought of recurrence - but overall I haven't really experienced a large deal of anxiety for many years.

O Stoma Mia wrote:Most major cancer hospitals have survivorship programs in place to address such issues during the 5-year post-treatment surveillance period

susie0915 wrote:I did just have a meeting with a survivorship nurse about 3 weeks ago. I am a year and a half out of treatment. It was good, as they go over your entire treatment program, and you can talk about any anxiety you may have which is helpful. She was also able to send a order to the SPA at my cancer center for acupuncture to maybe help with neuropathy. I've had two treatments so far, no big improvement yet but we will see. Being a cancer patient I am entitled to $500 worth of services at the spa so I thought I would give it try. My neuropathy did get worse in my feet after I finished treatment. My hands have improved as I don't drop things like I used to. It's getting cold in Michigan now, so I can feel the effects more than in the warm weather. I just find if I keep moving it feels better. I've been able to get back to my 3-4 miles of running and weights. I tried to keep doing something during treatment but it wasn't always easy. It does feel good to be able to exercise. I'm so glad you're feeling pretty good and life is getting back to somewhat normal.

I have an appointment set up with survivor ship nurse Dec 27th. Port flush on Dec 6. Blood work tests in Mid January.
I'm looking forward to discussing things with her. I'd like to try and get some volunteer work in at the center.
I know I'll be getting another scope and scan around April of 2018. At that time if I'm still clear/NED - I can get the port removed.
I think I'll start with a massage before trying the acupuncture. Getting cold here too, so the intensification I've experienced in the hands may be related.
I still drop things sometimes. It's a bit odd, it almost feels like I'm throwing stuff down on purpose. Like my hands have a mind of their own sometimes :) LOL.
Sounds like you're making great progress towards longterm NED and getting back to normalcy. I'm glad to hear that too:) Keep up the good work :)

Thanks all for your kind words :)
love to all.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Postby susie0915 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:20 am

benben wrote:
[Ana & Alex] wrote:Talking about enjoying life and life changes after chemo brings me to mixed feelings. I haven't changed much, although I would love to travel more, work a little less, go crazy and enjoy the day - but with my 2 year old I must say, I am not the priority in my life, even after having cancer.

I can imagine Ana, and the 2 yr old should remain a high priority - but make sure to take time for yourself too. A happier you, brings greater experiences together with your daughter.
Exercising will certainly help. Just take your time and be gentle with yourself as you make progress.

I'm glad my positive post chemo experiences bring you some hope and comfort in your transition post treatment as well. You'll get there I'm sure. We are all different and experience things differently. Keep positive :)

O Stoma Mia wrote:I read somewhere (but I can't remember where) that the two most frequent complaints post-chemo are (1) extreme fatigue, and (2) elevated anxiety levels

I guess I'm lucky. Fatigue has, for the most part, left the building for me. I'm working 12 hour days quite frequently and not feeling completely spent even after doing so. Anxiety, well I do get ever so slightly worried about the thought of recurrence - but overall I haven't really experienced a large deal of anxiety for many years.

O Stoma Mia wrote:Most major cancer hospitals have survivorship programs in place to address such issues during the 5-year post-treatment surveillance period

susie0915 wrote:I did just have a meeting with a survivorship nurse about 3 weeks ago. I am a year and a half out of treatment. It was good, as they go over your entire treatment program, and you can talk about any anxiety you may have which is helpful. She was also able to send a order to the SPA at my cancer center for acupuncture to maybe help with neuropathy. I've had two treatments so far, no big improvement yet but we will see. Being a cancer patient I am entitled to $500 worth of services at the spa so I thought I would give it try. My neuropathy did get worse in my feet after I finished treatment. My hands have improved as I don't drop things like I used to. It's getting cold in Michigan now, so I can feel the effects more than in the warm weather. I just find if I keep moving it feels better. I've been able to get back to my 3-4 miles of running and weights. I tried to keep doing something during treatment but it wasn't always easy. It does feel good to be able to exercise. I'm so glad you're feeling pretty good and life is getting back to somewhat normal.

I have an appointment set up with survivor ship nurse Dec 27th. Port flush on Dec 6. Blood work tests in Mid January.
I'm looking forward to discussing things with her. I'd like to try and get some volunteer work in at the center.
I know I'll be getting another scope and scan around April of 2018. At that time if I'm still clear/NED - I can get the port removed.
I think I'll start with a massage before trying the acupuncture. Getting cold here too, so the intensification I've experienced in the hands may be related.
I still drop things sometimes. It's a bit odd, it almost feels like I'm throwing stuff down on purpose. Like my hands have a mind of their own sometimes :) LOL.
Sounds like you're making great progress towards longterm NED and getting back to normalcy. I'm glad to hear that too:) Keep up the good work :)

Thanks all for your kind words :)
love to all.

Lol. So true about your hands having a mind of their own. Made me giggle.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

horizon

Postby horizon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am

Glad to hear you're recovering! I'm a huge believer in muscle memory. You'll be surprised how quickly it comes back. When I finally started lifting again after my surgery I was benching a max of what I used to warm up with, which was incredibly disheartening. Keep plugging away and that will quickly change.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

stu

Postby stu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:55 pm

Lovely news . Great to hear you have been out and about again ,
Take care ,
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Robino1
Facebook Username: Robin.lawthers

Postby Robino1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:25 pm

I love good news :)

Congratulations!
At 54 2014 1st colonoscopy colon cancer detect
Colon resect margins clear. No chemo Stage II
Distend abd, pain in intestines.
CT scan seeding & Ascites
Lap diag - cancer on the omentum
CEA 217; 219
FOLFOX started 6/17
CEA 202
8/29/17 CT melting of tumor.
Latest CT scan shows 2 new tumors and return of ascites.
CEA: (2017)9/30 -109; 10/12 -99.1; 11/4 -90.7; 11/30 -70.7; 12/14 -83.4; (2018)1/4 -73.3; 2/1-84.2; 89.2; 89.8; 88.5; 81.8: 93.5; 107; 119
BRAF V600e

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:40 am

benben wrote:... I guess I'm lucky. Fatigue has, for the most part, left the building for me. I'm working 12 hour days quite frequently and not feeling completely spent even after doing so...

I think your lack of feelings of fatigue might be related to your physical exercise program. Usually, physical exercise increases blood flow, oxygen levels, and endorphin levels and makes us feel less tired after a workout than before.

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:28 pm

I'm glad you're doing well!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

benben

Postby benben » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:00 pm

horizon wrote:Glad to hear you're recovering! I'm a huge believer in muscle memory. You'll be surprised how quickly it comes back. When I finally started lifting again after my surgery I was benching a max of what I used to warm up with, which was incredibly disheartening. Keep plugging away and that will quickly change.

Thanks Horizon! Strength is continually gaining. These 25lb barbells are starting to get too light already. Up to an easy 20 reps of curls.
Looking forward to going back to the gym. My weight gain is jumping fast. Weighed in at 175lbs this morning. Most of the weight gain seems to be muscle mass.

O Stoma Mia wrote:I think your lack of feelings of fatigue might be related to your physical exercise program. Usually, physical exercise increases blood flow, oxygen levels, and endorphin levels and makes us feel less tired after a workout than before.

I'm sure the exercise is helping along with doing lots of physical work recently.

stu wrote:Lovely news . Great to hear you have been out and about again ,
Take care ,
Stu

Thank you Stu :)

DarknessEmbraced wrote:I'm glad you're doing well!*hugs*

Thank you, and Hugs back at you!
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Tdubz

Postby Tdubz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Great news benben! I’m two months out now and the neuropathy hasn’t got any better. Typing and writing are pretty difficult. I hate clothes with buttons now and I have my wife tie my shoes lol. I tried running the other day, but it was a no go since my legs are semi numb from the knees down. Besides the neuropathy, I feel 10 times better than I have in years. I can almost forget I even had cancer! I didn’t exercise that much before all this happened and spending a good portion of 6 months laying in bed has made me pretty weak, but I’m easing in to more exercise. I walk my kids to the playground about a mile away everyday now. They are excited they get to play with daddy again and I’m excited to slowly get into shape.im getting my port taken out next week. I know it’s a bit early, and I thought about keeping it for a while but my insurance is already maxed so I don’t have to pay for it if I get it done now.

I’m glad to hear everything is going so well for you. It’s awesome to hear this news from all the people diagnosed around the same time I was.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:12 pm

benben wrote:
horizon wrote:Glad to hear you're recovering! I'm a huge believer in muscle memory. You'll be surprised how quickly it comes back. When I finally started lifting again after my surgery I was benching a max of what I used to warm up with, which was incredibly disheartening. Keep plugging away and that will quickly change.

Thanks Horizon! Strength is continually gaining. These 25lb barbells are starting to get too light already. Up to an easy 20 reps of curls.
Looking forward to going back to the gym. My weight gain is jumping fast. Weighed in at 175lbs this morning. Most of the weight gain seems to be muscle mass.

O Stoma Mia wrote:I think your lack of feelings of fatigue might be related to your physical exercise program. Usually, physical exercise increases blood flow, oxygen levels, and endorphin levels and makes us feel less tired after a workout than before.

I'm sure the exercise is helping along with doing lots of physical work recently.

stu wrote:Lovely news . Great to hear you have been out and about again ,
Take care ,
Stu

Thank you Stu :)

DarknessEmbraced wrote:I'm glad you're doing well!*hugs*

Thank you, and Hugs back at you!

Love hearing about weightlifting on this board.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

benben

Postby benben » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:15 pm

Tdubz wrote:Great news benben! I’m two months out now and the neuropathy hasn’t got any better. Typing and writing are pretty difficult. I hate clothes with buttons now and I have my wife tie my shoes lol. I tried running the other day, but it was a no go since my legs are semi numb from the knees down. Besides the neuropathy, I feel 10 times better than I have in years. I can almost forget I even had cancer! I didn’t exercise that much before all this happened and spending a good portion of 6 months laying in bed has made me pretty weak, but I’m easing in to more exercise. I walk my kids to the playground about a mile away everyday now. They are excited they get to play with daddy again and I’m excited to slowly get into shape.im getting my port taken out next week. I know it’s a bit early, and I thought about keeping it for a while but my insurance is already maxed so I don’t have to pay for it if I get it done now.

I’m glad to hear everything is going so well for you. It’s awesome to hear this news from all the people diagnosed around the same time I was.

Hey Tdubz! Thanks for chiming in. That's great your getting some good quality time with your kids and they are enjoying it. :D
I hear you on insurance. New year is coming which means I'll start having to fork over the copay until I'm maxed out again. I hope you won't need a port ever again, and you can continue to get into shape, strengthen, and enjoy your family! Let us know how your de-porting goes. Best wishes.
----------------------
5/3 med port install
zarxio all treats
Treat 7 - 75% OXI
10/20/17 CT- NED
3/18 Scope - Clean
11/8 PORT OUT!
7/22 CT - NED (5 years!)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”