Having open colorectal surgery 11/09/2017

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
AlexMichelle

Re: Having open colorectal surgery 11/09/2017

Postby AlexMichelle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Oh my, that's a lot of attachments. My doctor said to plan on six days due to open surgery as long as no complications.... too long. Last time my hospital room was so small that maneuvering the IV pole around things to get to bathroom or to walk hallway was challenging.
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:00 pm

AlexMichelle wrote:Oh my, that's a lot of attachments. My doctor said to plan on six days due to open surgery as long as no complications.... too long. Last time my hospital room was so small that maneuvering the IV pole around things to get to bathroom or to walk hallway was challenging.

If your doctor says six, then plan on six. A few of my friends elsewhere went home a day early but that's because they really wanted to get out of the hospital. I take the approach that I will leave when I think that I'm ready to leave - based on how my body feels and what the doctors think. I did not want to be a re-admit.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 pm

Hello AlexMichelle,

At least six days in hospital - I was in for eight days and being emergency surgery didn't have time to pack my bags and
bring in books, magazines, not even the charger for my mobile phone. My roomies had laptops with Kindle books and their
best jammies (PJs) and snacks - they had their favourite snacks! :roll: Soo......how are you preparing to occupy your time,
got a book you've been meaning to read but don't have the time....what about something for that 'annoying' roomie who wants
to dump their problems on you? Earplugs iPod......

What goodies are going in your hospital bag. Christmas is around the corner, good time to get your cards done and ready to
be mailed out. I'm a quilter and if I'd had the time, I would have packed some handpiecing to do but as I didn't, I just had to
content myself with watching the movies on this massive flatscreen TV - and that was like heaven-on-a-stick because I don't
have a flatscreen at home.

I didn't have time to get way anxious but I went into that surgery with full-blown Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia riding shotgun
and I know a thing or five about how to shift focus off the 'last time' and roll into a future experience with trust.

Forget about soldiering on - this aint the Army, it's civvie street. :wink:

So.........whatcha packing?
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

tammylayne

Postby tammylayne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Take a vicks smelly inhaler , the kind you use for colds. Perfect for those nasty hospital smells...esp when you have a queasy tummy...
51 F
'06 Stage 1 CC,
'10 Stage 3 Rectal

"You never know how strong you are until you have to become your own hero."

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Maggie Nell wrote:Hello AlexMichelle,

At least six days in hospital - I was in for eight days and being emergency surgery didn't have time to pack my bags and
bring in books, magazines, not even the charger for my mobile phone. My roomies had laptops with Kindle books and their
best jammies (PJs) and snacks - they had their favourite snacks! :roll: Soo......how are you preparing to occupy your time,
got a book you've been meaning to read but don't have the time....what about something for that 'annoying' roomie who wants
to dump their problems on you? Earplugs iPod......

What goodies are going in your hospital bag. Christmas is around the corner, good time to get your cards done and ready to
be mailed out. I'm a quilter and if I'd had the time, I would have packed some handpiecing to do but as I didn't, I just had to
content myself with watching the movies on this massive flatscreen TV - and that was like heaven-on-a-stick because I don't
have a flatscreen at home.

I didn't have time to get way anxious but I went into that surgery with full-blown Panic Disorder/Agoraphobia riding shotgun
and I know a thing or five about how to shift focus off the 'last time' and roll into a future experience with trust.

Forget about soldiering on - this aint the Army, it's civvie street. :wink:

So.........whatcha packing?

Our rooms had 17 inch LED monitors as TV monitors. Roommate really cranked up the volume on his because he was hard of hearing.

I went with Bluetooth earbuds connected to my phone for podcasts. Only downside was that staff had to tap me to get my attention.
Last edited by NHMike on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Maggie Nell, your post made me laugh. Yes, ear phones an absolute must! I even slept with mine in last time because hospital is so noisy. Great for blocking out chatty roommate and sad sounds from other rooms. Ok, your post made me realize I need to pack pretty, comfy pajamas and a robe. Will be nice to get out of hospital gown. You asked what I'm packing for entertainment.... I have several audio books, my kindle with loads of books, my iPad where I can go on Facebook, Pinterest, You Tube, Netflix, Instagram, Pandora, and FaceTime with family. I was considering taking my laptop to also be able to do all those things but was thinking it might not be comfortable to maneuver after open surgery. Wish I knew if it was good idea or not. I also have a nice silk eye mask to block out the world when I need to do so. Was your surgery open or laparoscopic? You must have been so ready to get out of there after eight days.

Yes, NHMike, I bet it is annoying to the nursing staff that they have to tap us because we have our earphones in, but such a necessity.

Tammylane, I did plan for those smells. I bought a nice light citrus spray where I tiny squirt is a game changer! Last time, I didn't have anything and I became nauseous many times from odors.

Thanks, guys! Anything else I should pack?
F 9/14/17 blood, 10/05/17 endoscopy/colonoscopy 4.5 cm tumor lower colon/upper rectum/left side -11/09/17 open Rectosigmoid Colon Resection remove invasive adenocarcinoma, moderately diff marg clear.15 lymph nodes neg malignancy. benign liver w/fibrous nodule- rectum at 15cm Tumor location: above peritoneal reflection 4.2 x 2.7 cm Tumor inv muscularis closest 1.5 cm. pT2pNO Stage 1. No Lynch

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 pm

Tammylane, were the pain meds able to control most of the pain after your open surgery while you were in hospital and when you returned home? Was the pain a lot more intense with the open? Why did you have open surgery? You mentioned you had both laparoscopic and open. How difficult is it to take care of the stitched area? Were you able to wear stretchy type pants home from the hospital or should I plan on a long maxi dress so that nothing is touching my stomach? Thanks, Tammylane.

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 pm

AlexMichelle wrote:... Any words of wisdom you can share for my open surgery in five days would be appreciated. I'm so nervous. My anxiety level is so high, but I keep trying to take deep breaths.

I had open surgery for a recto-sigmoid tumor over 5 years ago and was in the hospital for about a week. In my opinion, one possible reason for your surgeon's preference for 'open' vs 'laparascopic' may have to do with your previous history of abdominal surgeries. Each previous abdominal surgery is likely to have produced adhesions and scar tissues that have to be dealt with (removed) before the surgeon can even start on the resection of your tumor and local lymph nodes. For my last abdominal surgery, the surgeon told me that he had to spend the first hour just removing adhesions so that he could see what he was doing. (My surgeon is a Board Certified colorectal surgeon highly qualified in both laparoscopic surgery and open surgery,) I have never had a laparoscopic surgery.

If a patient has never had a prior abdominal surgery, then I think that laparoscopic surgery could be a viable option, since the surgeon could easily get in there snd do the surgery, and be sure of getting good margins. However, if there are lots of scar tissues and adhesions in the area where the resection is supposed to occur, it may be difficult to maneuver around these obstacles to do a good surgery. In addition, the laparascopic video camera may get fogged up with bits of scar tissue and blood, making it difficult for the surgeon to see what he is doing. I think what your surgeon is saying, essentially, is that it would be too difficult to do a good job laparoscopically given the number of prior abdominal surgeries you have had, (But that is just my own laymen's interpretation of the situation. I am not a physician or a medical professional.)
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:01 pm

AlexMichelle wrote:Maggie Nell, your post made me laugh. Yes, ear phones an absolute must! I even slept with mine in last time because hospital is so noisy. Great for blocking out chatty roommate and sad sounds from other rooms. Ok, your post made me realize I need to pack pretty, comfy pajamas and a robe. Will be nice to get out of hospital gown. You asked what I'm packing for entertainment.... I have several audio books, my kindle with loads of books, my iPad where I can go on Facebook, Pinterest, You Tube, Netflix, Instagram, Pandora, and FaceTime with family. I was considering taking my laptop to also be able to do all those things but was thinking it might not be comfortable to maneuver after open surgery. Wish I knew if it was good idea or not. I also have a nice silk eye mask to block out the world when I need to do so. Was your surgery open or laparoscopic? You must have been so ready to get out of there after eight days.

Yes, NHMike, I bet it is annoying to the nursing staff that they have to tap us because we have our earphones in, but such a necessity.

Tammylane, I did plan for those smells. I bought a nice light citrus spray where I tiny squirt is a game changer! Last time, I didn't have anything and I became nauseous many times from odors.

Thanks, guys! Anything else I should pack?

If you are planning on bringing a lot of stuff, then I recommend that you leave it with a friend or spouse or relative to bring in to you in recovery or in your room after the surgery. When you go into admissions, they will typically take your things and you will check your valuables. My hospital recommended against bringing valuables. Your shoes and clothes that you wear into Admissions are put into bags that accompany you. Your valuables may take a little time to fetch. What I did was bring an old phone without a working SIM with me and my real phone was checked with the cashier. It took me a day to get my real phone but I could use my old phone with the hospital WiFi.

I did bring a laptop with me and it was useful but, yes, you do have to be careful. If you put it on your nightstand, then you have to figure out how to get it off and put it on or you can ask a nurse to do it. If you put it on your tray table, then other people will tend to put stuff on top of it because the room is limited and it's usually where they put the food trays. You also need to figure out how to charge it with a minimum of fetching your cord off the floor. Ideally you'd have a very light laptop with really good battery life. I personally find it far easier to write with a laptop than a mobile device.

I had zero issues with odors. I assume that the hospital's ventilation system had something to do with that.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:06 pm

AlexMichelle wrote:Tammylane, were the pain meds able to control most of the pain after your open surgery while you were in hospital and when you returned home? Was the pain a lot more intense with the open? Why did you have open surgery? You mentioned you had both laparoscopic and open. How difficult is it to take care of the stitched area? Were you able to wear stretchy type pants home from the hospital or should I plan on a long maxi dress so that nothing is touching my stomach? Thanks, Tammylane.

My surgery was Lap-assisted LAR. I have three holes where I guess they used the Lap-assist and the big five inch scar. My surgeon is trained in both types and robotic surgery so I assume that she had a good reason to do open with Lap-assist. I did not use any pain meds once I got home and didn't use much in the hospital. There was some pain but it was associated with my bladder being a certain size. That said, my understanding is that it varies widely from person to person.

I've done nothing on the stapled area other than shower and let water run over it. I wore a stretchy long-underwear and track pants home from the hospital and typically wear shorts and warmups over then at home. I am sized up from my normal size for the stretchy stuff though.
MSS, KRAS G12D
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18

jep

Postby jep » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello. My husband had open surgery to remove a 7 cm tumor from his recto-sigmoid...the surgeon is board certified in colorectal surgery and began surgery robotically...once he got in there, he realized how large the tumor was and switched to manual open surgery. I don't want to freak you out, as I believe my husband's situation was tougher than some, but he was in the hospital for more than 2 weeks after the initial surgery. He had many set backs and it was not an easy road (especially for a fit athlete who had never been in the hospital before). My advice would be to ignore what the doctors tell you in terms of how long you might be in the hospital. Every patient is different. Also, please don't feel pressure to eat solid foods too soon. I was shocked when I returned to my hubby's room to find a plate of chicken stir fry in front of him. I believe that impeded his recovery. Stick with the liquid diet....have a loved one or friend bring you high protein, high fat, low fiber smoothies instead....my DH spent a total of 22 days in the hospital (after a return trip with an infection)...I wish I had known more of this before he went in for surgery. I was pretty naive in thinking they would remove the obstruction and he would be great....here we are, 6 months later and he still has a surgical drain in. Fistula refuses to heal (especially once he started chemo)....the great news is that he's had 2 CLEAR scans and he feels and looks good! I'm praying that you will have a much smoother road, but I think it's good to know that there might be bumps in the road to recovery! Good luck and God Bless!!!!
Stage IV CC 5/16/17
Loc: recto-sig
Type: Adenocarcinoma
Size: 7.4 cm
Grade: G3
TNM: T3N2M1
LNs: 8/20
BL CEA: .9
LVI: present
Perineural invasion: present
LAR margins: clear (w/in microns)
Folfox (8/17-1/18)
Scope 6/18 - CLEAR! - 2 polyps
PET 10/17/18: 3 pos LNs
Irino + Vecti (11/18)
CEA: 1.7 (2/19)
Xel + rad (5/19)
Surgery: 8/21/19 (aborted)
P1 Trial 10/19 - 12/19
Bypass 12/6/19
Folfox + vecti 1/2/19 - 4/3/20
Kid Fail 5/1/20
Folfiri + Avastin 5/20 - 6/20
bypass 6/29/20
Stivarga 7/18/20 -
Home 9/10/20

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 am

O Stoma Mia, that makes total sense. The doctor did mention scar tissue so that could be one of the factors. I also wonder if because he is also an Oncology Surgeon, he wants a better look in all areas. He said the 4.5 cm tumor is in the colon with a bit in the upper rectum and wants good access to avoid possible colostomy. Another doctor friend of mine said that the open surgery allows surgeon to remove the tumor intact and not let it touch other areas when removing it which could happen when pulling it through small laparoscopic hole. I have no idea if this is true or not. I know most CR surgeries are performed laparoscopically these days and it is what I was hoping for and my surgeon does most of them laparoscopically. I have to trust my doctor and team. Repeat to myself.....I have to trust my doctor and team. Was your pain moderate or severe?

NHMike, after reading what you shared about your laptop, I've decided to leave mine at home. Since mine is not for work and only entertainment I will just take my iPad. Sounds like it would be a nuisance for me. Thank you for giving me that perspective. I am not taking anything to surgery Thursday morning. I have packed everything for my husband to bring to my room later that day. That is very encouraging that you did not have to use a lot of pain medication. I hope that's how it will be for me because during my last surgery the pain medication made me very nauseated and constipated. When do your staples come out?

Jep, thank you for sharing the story about your husband because I do need to know all possibilities. My doctor did caution me that things can happen and shared a few possible scenarios. I'm sorry your husband has had such a go of it. My heart goes out to him. I have had my share of complications in past and it is so disheartening. I am on a strict low residue diet now and I agree with you that I do not want to push a regular diet quickly after surgery. After my bile duct syphincterotomy, I was not supposed to have any food at all for 24 hours and within 10 minutes of waking up a nurse handed me an apple sauce to eat. So hard to know everything we are supposed to do when the professionals are bringing you things you shouldn't have.

menreeq

Postby menreeq » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:15 am

Sounds like you have a great team in place and are well informed as to what to expect (as best as one can be). I wish you a successful surgery and uneventful postoperative course. May things go as smoothly and painlessly as possible. Will be thinking lots of good thoughts on Thursday.
Stage IIA rectosigmoid CC (T3N0M0)
Dx 6/5/17 @age 41ls
Workup: c-scope, EUS, rectal MRI, CT C/A/P
AdenoCA 5.5cm, WHO Grade 2, 0/22 LN, no distant mets
CEA 1.9 (6/5/17), 0.8 (2/28/18), 1.0 (9/17/18), 1.1 (4/16/19), 1.0 (9/24/19), 1.7 (7/8/20)
No lymphovasc/perineural invasion, clear margins
MSI intact, OncotypeDx RS 7
Lap sig colectomy 6/23/17, no ileo/colostomy
Genetics neg for mutations, 4 VUS
Xeloda monotherapy 8/13/17-1/22/18
PET/CT 3/21/18 NED
CT C/A/P 9/17/18 NED, 3/8/19 NED, 9/19/19 NED, 5/13/20 NED

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:05 am

You could go old-school and have a 'retro' hospital stay with a Bumper Crosswords book and
ya know, buzz the nurse each time you get stuck on a clue.....that will shorten your
stay.

:mrgreen: :twisted:
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

AlexMichelle

Postby AlexMichelle » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:16 am

Menreeq, thank you. So kind. Arriving hospital 7 a.m. PST on Thursday and surgery scheduled for 9 a.m. PST. I'll post here as to how it all went as soon as I am able. Life is so unpredictable. Last summer I never dreamed this would be my life a few short months later. I know everyone diagnosed with this dreaded disease is in shock when they are told they have cancer. One has to change their mindset and entire life so quickly.

Maggie Nell, that is so funny. I bet buzzing the buzzer every time I got stuck on a crossword puzzle really would get me home quicker! So good! I like the way you think! :lol:

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”