O/T Passwords

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kathy

O/T Passwords

Postby Kathy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Friends,
In my previous post entitled "A Difficult Year" I told you of the passing of my daughter Kim, from liver failure from the overuse of Tylenol due to a previous head injury and lots of headaches.

I learned a valuable lesson from this experience. We are having a hard time resolving Kim's affairs because she was single and kept everything online and paperless. Until things come in, we will do not know what we don't know. We went through her wallet to get bank cards and credit cards and tried to be as proactive as possible. We had
had great difficulty with the bank getting into her checking account although we had paperwork from the surrogate's office. We do not have any passwords and have been unable to get into her phone (we just want names and contacts because of course, most young people do not have address book) and photos.

The take away is if you have a single person in your life, someone needs to have passwords in case of a severe injury or worse. My friend's son was in a serious car accident and he was in a coma. She could not even pay his online bills that she knew of by contacting each company. It is a new world out there.

It is a difficult conversation to have, somewhat like a will, but please, you don't want to go through what we are going through. Preparation can save lots of headaches and heartache.

Thanks for all your support and kind words. The Colon Club has brought me so much comfort through my journey.

Hugs to All,

Kathy
Stage 1- resection 9/ 05
Recurrence-2/ 2008 chemo/radiation 5 FU/oxi
APR surgery 7/ 2008- Found spread to liver-Margins not clean
chemo between surgeries
Liver resection and HAI pump-11/ 08 Chemo 6 months
NED 11/08

NED since 11/2008

susie0915
Facebook Username: Susan DeGrazia Hostetter

Re: O/T Passwords

Postby susie0915 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm

This is some great advice. I will have to talk to my daughter. My sons are both married so their wives would take care of everything. Still, so sorry you are having to deal with this at all. I am praying for you and your family. And I am so inspired by how you have handled all you have been through this past year.
58 yrs old Dx @ 55
5/15 DX T3N0MO
6/15 5 wks chemo/rad
7/15 sigmoidoscopy/only scar tissue left
8/15 PET scan NED
9/15 LAR
0/24 nodes
10/15 blockage. surgery,early ileo rev, c-diff inf :(
12/15 6 rds of xelox
5/16 CT lung scarring/inflammation
9/16 clear colonoscopy
4/17 C 4mm lung nod
10/17 pel/abd CT NED
11/17 CEA<.5
1/18 CT/Lung no change in 4mm nodule
5/18 CEA<.5, CT pel/abd/lung NED
11/18 CEA .6
5/19 CT NED, CEA <.5
10/19 Clear colonscopy
11/19 CEA <.5

NHMike

Postby NHMike » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:40 pm

I just showed your post to my daughter. I gave everyone in the family my password file before I went for surgery.
6/17: ER rectal bleeding; Colonoscopy
7/17: 3B rectal. T3N1bM0. 5.2 4.5 4.3 cm. Lymphs: 6 x 4 mm, 8 x 6, 5 x 5
7/17-9/17: Xeloda radiation
7/5: CEA 2.7; 8/16: 1.9; 11/30: 0.6; 12/20 1.4; 1/10 1.8; 1/31 2.2; 2/28 2.6; 4/10 2.8; 5/1 2.8; 5/29 3.2; 7/13 4.5; 8/9 2.8, 2/12 1.2
MSS, KRAS G12D
10/17: 2.7 2.2 1.6 cm (-90%). Lymphs: 3 x 3 mm (-62.5%), 4 x 3 (-75%), 5 x 3 (-40%). 5.1 CM from AV
10/17: LAR, Temp Ileostomy, Path Complete Response
CapeOx (8) 12/17-6/18
7/18: Reversal, Port Removal
2/19: Clean CT

horizon

Postby horizon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Google has something helpful called 'inactive account manager'. You can control who gets access to what after you haven't used your account for a configurable amount of time.

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 6546?hl=en
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Great topic here ! ( sorry you had to have to be involved with it though Kathy )
Others will benefit from you paying it forward.
Harmony my friend.

My 2 cents :
1. giving someone access to passwords is a great idea ( = trusted person, spouse, family member etc.)
2. I use "secured" encrypted files which contain all my passwords on a flash drive or mountable disk image ( on the Mac OSX systems )
3. provide one master password and it unlocks all the files and passwords.
4. Mac OSX and many third party programs can act as "master key" protected file managers ( Keychain / LastPass etc.)
5. write down your passwords in a "scripted" file using kind of public key encryption ( i.e. use a normal word BUTT use a specific WAY of using that word to recover the password )

Yes I need another hobby :shock: BUTT I find this stuff very useful and interesting.
(( Have been dealing first hand with the recent Equifax hack issues ... which I was able to protect myself against BECAUSE I am so anal about online security ))

Best wishes to all
Hoping you never have to need / use this info
BUTT very grateful to Kathy for sharing her experiences so others may benefit

CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:03 pm

horizon wrote:Google has something helpful called 'inactive account manager'. You can control who gets access to what after you haven't used your account for a configurable amount of time.

https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 6546?hl=en

I will check this out as well !!

I once set up an "auto-send" email which would send on the first of every month.
It contained some confidential info including passwords for accounts etc.

IF I was not around to deactivate the "send" it would go.
IF I was around I would cancel that months auto-send.

Stopped doing this when I assessed the very low level of email security with most servers.
Encrypted email accounts could serve the same purpose, BUTT I developed a few different ways to achieve the same functionality.

NOTE : I kind of do this as an interest and a hobby :shock: ... I'm sure most folks would like a cleaner / quicker method like Google !!!

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:38 pm

disclaimer :
I am not a lawyer or professional advisor for financial or security issues.
I share these ideas as some of the issues I have dealt with in my own personal situation.

YMMV !!!!!
:mrgreen:

Sorry to be so verbose ... BUTT I guess I am on a roll ... :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Another thing which could be done is to set up some kind of co-member/co-owner status on accounts.

Canada and USA will have differing versions of how to enact this, BUTT I will share some suggestions which could be used as a "living estate" management initiative. I have been through this 3 times now, so just giving In My Experience.

Consult and have a working relationship with a lawyer and an accountant who BOTH know your situation and can work together.
Assess assets / ownerships / control issues with the above counsel.

Draft proper legal documents detailing who does what / where / when / how
( wills / powers of attorney / "living wills" / trusts / representation agreements / advanced medical care / planning agreements etc. etc. etc. there are MANY ways to address this )

Get a safety deposit box ( at a bank ) and give duplicate key to trusted party. It can hold all legal documents including an encrypted flash drive or "password " master list. A co-holder should not need legal permission to access it.

Put a safe in your house and keep things there, with the code being given to the trusted party.

Get the trusted party listed on some / all accounts / assets as active co-holder.

Get the trusted party listed on some / all accounts /assets as a blind trust inactive "beneficiary" or holder in due course.

Whatever we / you do ...
IMO ... do something to protect your ASSets ... :shock: :mrgreen:

Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
17 Year survivor

horizon

Postby horizon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:35 pm

CRguy wrote:I will check this out as well !!

NOTE : I kind of do this as an interest and a hobby :shock: ... I'm sure most folks would like a cleaner / quicker method like Google !!!

It's really cool. They even send you an annual reminder of who gets access to your designated data when you go inactive.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”